Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido Dojo Recruitment...????

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
I used to bring cookies tothe dojo for everyone who atteded class on radom Thursday nights. It was popular with existing students but didn't get them to train more regularly or bring in any new ones. Of course that was't really the goAl ayway. We jsut had a lot of leftover cookies on Wednessdays, at my old job.

We have had a little sucess getting people to start by offering a 6 week "beginers course" at a discounted rate. We would have members hang flyers anyplace they thought they could to attract iterest. It seems to work well for the February/March sessio but ot so well for April/May. But we are a college town. Getting them to stay however is a whole other challange.
If I don't get cookies again (or at least monkey treats) I'm totally quitting!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #27
dongaleb
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines

Free trial.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Eduardo Hills wrote: View Post
Free trial.
how do you get lawyers to work for free?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #29
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
how do you get lawyers to work for free?
Funny..........
Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #30
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
If I don't get cookies again (or at least monkey treats) I'm totally quitting!
Fine I'll bring you some banana's and prozac next week.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #31
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Fine I'll bring you some banana's and prozac next week.
I could probably use with more Potassium and SSRIs.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #32
allowedcloud
United_States

Perhaps instead of charging a flat fee for membership you could try implementing a sliding fee scale where each member pays a different amount depending on their ability to pay, say from $20 to $100 a month. The idea is that having someone on the mat paying a little is better than not having them on the mat at all and paying nothing. Perhaps evaluate this with each member every six months to determine if they feel like contributing more at that point.

This scheme is being used at the place I train and has resulted in a doubling of membership since it came into effect.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
This scheme is being used at the place I train and has resulted in a doubling of membership since it came into effect.
How has it affected revenue?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Perhaps instead of charging a flat fee for membership you could try implementing a sliding fee scale where each member pays a different amount depending on their ability to pay, say from $20 to $100 a month.
Is there friction when a $100 student finds out that others are paying $20?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #35
Janet Rosen

I've recently joined the board of the nonprofit that runs our dojo and because of my interest am coordinating outreach.
In the remote past there were public demos but it has been many years. So we are doing a public demo at our local Farmers Market in early June, around end of school year, and looking at a community open house in Aug around the start of school year, with demos, free short classes, barbecue, etc.
And I'll be meeting with other local nonprofits looking at partnership opportunities as well as working on alternate/special classes like the six week series I'm just finishing up on Surviving Falls - basically how to fall for non-martial artists, aimed at dinged but fit middle aged folks.
I agree we cannot compete on their terms with MMA schools...but like with a disability, that leaves open the question...ok, what CAN we do? :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post
Have you tried cookies?

Otherwise you could just ask people why they are interested in Aikido. From their answer you may be able to figure out how to structure 'some' of the classes to address the interests of the various people who share them.

When someone leaves or simply stops coming you can ask them what their reasons are. As you said for the majority it will other life situations but for those that leave for reasons with something to do with the dojo (or person(s) in it) specifically... well, having a sort of 'exit interview' can help answer some of the questions you have.

With that information you can decide what you can do and more importantly, if you want to and if it is worth whatever effort may be involved.

But trust me on the cookies.
Hi Stephen,
What cookies would you suggest you give potential students?Chocolate Chipped, Coconut flavoured, Milk chocolate, minty ones?Do you also provide them with a cup of cocoa, tea or a Starbucks special? Do you find the local cafes take umbrage on you for taking away some of their trade?Are you planning a food kitchen in the near future?I think soup and a crusty role would be a more effective ploy to generate interest than a cookie.
Cheers, Joe
Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #37
allowedcloud
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
Is there friction when a $100 student finds out that others are paying $20?
No. Everyone is aware of the sliding fee scale system and we all know that not everyone pays the same to train. No one cares about something so petty as who pays more than so-and-so. As for me I'm just happy to have more training partners on the mat.

As for how it affected revenue, I have no idea about that as I'm not privy to the financials but typically more members paying dues = more revenue.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
dps

Quote:

As for how it affected revenue, I have no idea about that as I'm not privy to the financials but typically more members paying dues = more revenue.
If you sell below cost you can make it up on volume.
dps
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #39
lbb
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was where I was going...
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
dps
Um, no, if you sell below cost you just lose more with more volume. You can sell some below cost if there are others paying above. Or other sources of income generated by getting butts in the seats so to speak. High volume and selling below cost usually means you go broke faster.

I am curious about how those students who pay more feel about others paying less. Who decides who deserves the lower rate? I often hear people complaining about how expensive this or that is who live in vastly nicer places, have nicer cars, take nicer trips than I could ever even hope to have. And yet I find a way to pay my share just the same. And for my daughter's private school, well, there's not a snowball's chance in hell we could afford to send her there without the school's financial aid assistance. But they use a service that other, vastly better off families complain about because they ask such probing questions like what sort of vacation you take, what cars you drive, the value of your home, your income, etc. At least they have a mechanism for making the process a bit more fair.

Anyway, I'm just curious as the dojo cho for our dojo. I've been trying to figure something out for a few students.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #41
dps

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Um, no, if you sell below cost you just lose more with more volume.
Um, it was a joke Keith, an old joke. The smiley face should have clued you to that.

dps

Last edited by dps : 05-21-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Um, it was a joke Keith, an old joke. The smiley face should have clued you to that.

dps
Oops, too sleepy still...

carry on...

Am curious about how folk determine who gets what...

Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #43
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Oops, too sleepy still...

carry on...

Am curious about how folk determine who gets what...
We have been having this conversation about "scholarships" esp for our kids classes - we've been pretty loose and generous and so far we can afford to be, but figuring it behooves us to look at local standards we are checking with other nonprofits who offer kids programs (in music, dance, etc) to see what forms they are using.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #44
allowedcloud
United_States

Quote:
Um, no, if you sell below cost you just lose more with more volume. You can sell some below cost if there are others paying above. Or other sources of income generated by getting butts in the seats so to speak. High volume and selling below cost usually means you go broke faster.

I am curious about how those students who pay more feel about others paying less. Who decides who deserves the lower rate? I often hear people complaining about how expensive this or that is who live in vastly nicer places, have nicer cars, take nicer trips than I could ever even hope to have. And yet I find a way to pay my share just the same. And for my daughter's private school, well, there's not a snowball's chance in hell we could afford to send her there without the school's financial aid assistance. But they use a service that other, vastly better off families complain about because they ask such probing questions like what sort of vacation you take, what cars you drive, the value of your home, your income, etc. At least they have a mechanism for making the process a bit more fair.

Anyway, I'm just curious as the dojo cho for our dojo. I've been trying to figure something out for a few students.
Hey Keith,

I'm going to try to get you in touch with our dojo cho so he can answer the questions you have.

If you're curious this is where I train: http://toledoaikido.blogspot.com/

Josh
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #45
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
No. Everyone is aware of the sliding fee scale system and we all know that not everyone pays the same to train. No one cares about something so petty as who pays more than so-and-so. As for me I'm just happy to have more training partners on the mat.

Dear Joshua,
I guess the students who pay the 20dollars are not going to make a fuss in case they have to pay more.Is this a weekly fee or what? More members paying a more equitable sum of money [eg each person paying a median amount ] may well generate more cash??
I have noticed that Aikidoka have no problem paying fpr theatre tickets, cds , nights out on the town and usually the fees in the U.K are comparatively cheap.Cheers, Joe.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #46
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

Am I bragging or lamenting???? Hmmm, I guess I am bragging because my students (now 41) like the classes, they like what they learn and aren't intimidated by the instr's rank and they can approach him anytime they want. The women (23 to be exact, up from 17 2 weeks ago) love the manner of teaching also. How are your students in the frozen north? I bet the penguins in your classes are fast learners, aren't they. However, for you to get more "students", I wouldn't bring cookies----you might try sardines.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #47
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

Not intimidated by your rank? Not now but, when I first started out for sure. Nothing is more awe inspiring than being taught by a 12th Dan. Besides, you never brought us cookies, it was raw meat and you told us to fight for it like starved pit bulls.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #48
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

12th dan????? You know something I don't???? That's a whole lot of cookies there. I wonder how many sardines it would be?????
Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #49
kewms

Quote:
Hey Keith,

I'm going to try to get you in touch with our dojo cho so he can answer the questions you have.

If you're curious this is where I train: http://toledoaikido.blogspot.com/

Josh
A little additional context might be helpful, too.

This particular dojo is co-located with a Buddhist temple, where the chief instructor is also the senior Dharma teacher. Sliding fee scales are unusual in the commercial/retail world, but quite common in the non-profit/social services world. Buddhism in particular has a lot of tradition around community support. So I suspect this approach works better in this context than it might in a for-profit dojo with a more "fee for services" attitude.

Katherine

PS Please say hi to Jay from me when you see him next.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #50
kewms

Quote:
Except a dojo has high fixed costs -- rent, instructor support, etc. -- but very low incremental costs. Adding an additional student costs very little, and most of those costs (uniform, organizational fees) can be passed on to the students themselves.

Moreover, each individual class is like a theatre performance: once it's over, it's done. You can't put it on a shelf and sell it later. So, like day-of-show "rush" tickets on Broadway, you'll take any revenue that you can get from a teaching slot that would otherwise be empty.

Katherine