Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #26
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido And the military.

If you happen to relocate to SAC/Offutt AFB near Omaha, Nebraska please look us up. I realize that Nebraska doesn't top anyone's "dream list" but if you do end up here we would love to have you.

Mike Taylor
Godan
Chief Instructor, Rising Star Aikido
South Bend, Nebraska, USA
www.risingstaraikido.com
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #27
Gallu
United_States

Actually sir,
It is at the top of both my wife & mine.
We where stationed there a year ago and would like very much to go back.
Bellevue was a nice town with a very military friendly community.

"If at first you don't succeed.....
Maybe Sky Diving is not for you !"
Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 PM   #28
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States

I'm not air force, but if you've got a job that could land you at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, there are two dojos within 10-15 miles. Pretty reasonable price with Nick Lowry sensei at Windsong dojo, or dirt cheap at University of Central OK. w/ UCO Budo society.

On the other topic, "too docile for military" I'm a corporal in the Marine Corps and have more use for Aikido than I have for MC martial arts, for what it's worth

Dave

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 10-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #29
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

fm 3-25.150 is the Army's Combatives Manual. It is not a program for a unit. We use that as a base manual for training. Each unit sets up there own program based on the dynamic of the unit, and the pool of experienced instructors etc.

Did not mean to mislead anyone in thinking that I was reinventing the wheel.

Don't think I could come up with anything new or profound that anyone hasn't thought of before!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
Charlie Lewis
Dojo: Highland Aiki Club
United_States

Hello; Most of my classes were taught at military bases ((seven) when I was on Air Force active duty. I presently teach a class near Luke Air Force Base, AZ (about a 20 minute drive.) We meet twice each week (Tuesday and Thursday evenings) at the Sierra Montana Recreation Center. Please practice with us when you are in the area.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
rachford
Dojo: NRL & Capital Aikikai

(Hi Jack Simpson)

I teach at the Naval Research Lab next to Boling AFB. We've had a few air force guys train with us over the years. Military police, a regular airman or two and one incognito three star from another neighboring base.
We do not have many military on our base. Its overrun with civilian PhD's. Young strong Marines don't seem to like being tossed around with ease by old geeks.http://aikiweb.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #32
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

FYI, we will have an BJJ black belt that will be teaching on Bolling starting this fall after he moves over there to one of the research facilities. Okay...so he is finishing up his PhD.

He is one of the most proficient instructors in MA I have ever encountered and had the pleasure to work with.

PM me if you want the details.

Our club is www.pentagoncombatives.com

We have classes down in springfield and at the Army's Human Resource Command in Alexandria right now, but will also be out at Bolling starting this fall.

Love to come over and train with you guys sometime, do aikido, bjj, and Army Combatives so like to do a varied approach to things!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #33
Scott Petty
Dojo: Hayal Park Dojo
Turkey

I'm currently stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ and there are several dojos in the area within 45 mins. But I found one about 5-6 miles from the base. Real nice people.

I too was stationed in Okinawa and wished I had found Aikido at that time. 2001-2005 2t2x1

Heading to Incirlik AB, Turkey here in June. Found and made contact with a dojo there already as well
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #34
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

Info for all Naval Personnel " AIKIDO OF NORFOLK" great Sensei (Jim Baker) and great people, this is a USAF certified Dojo.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

Hi Sensei Jim, " Happy Thanksgiving" miss training with all of you, have a Merry XMAS.