Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #326
vieq

Egypt
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Can women practice aikido in countries like Iran or Egypt?
Sorry to UP an old post, but to answer you .. yes they do I can grab some recent/old youtube clips to support my claims
Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #327
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote: View Post
I'd still love to hear from muslims on this issue. I can understand you not wanting to post in this thread as it has pretty much devolved. So please feel free to send me a private message.
Over here in Egypt are two teams, one that changed the way of bowing to each other and O'Sensi's pic with slight leaning forward with the right hand of the chest as a gesture of greeting without being called bowing to one another, females and males alike.

The other team just do it the old classic way except they keep their eyes forward facing each other, not entirely bowing in this state, females and males alike.

The only noticeable thing about clothing, females tend to wear their Gi as they would with any other form of clothing, they wear Hijab or they don't

Other than that, its just all about practicing
Old 05-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #328
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Mohamed Salah wrote: View Post
Over here in Egypt are two teams, one that changed the way of bowing to each other and O'Sensi's pic with slight leaning forward with the right hand of the chest as a gesture of greeting without being called bowing to one another, females and males alike.

The other team just do it the old classic way except they keep their eyes forward facing each other, not entirely bowing in this state, females and males alike.

The only noticeable thing about clothing, females tend to wear their Gi as they would with any other form of clothing, they wear Hijab or they don't

Other than that, its just all about practicing
Thank you for sharing. Places where I have trained there are a few Muslims and most are in the second camp. The one who is in the first camp still trains and recently took his sandan test. I think the key for my sensei was the acknowledgment of showing respect during the bow-in for the test to pause in acknowledgment towards O-Sensei, the testing committee, and his ukes.

But, yes, all in all its just about practicing.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #329
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

Years ago when I was training at my original dojo at a university, a member quit because he had just become Christian and was told that he shouldn't bow towards O'Sensei. I thought about this for some time and realised the thing to do was suggest to such a person that they are bowing to God, and that O'Sensei's picture is just there to remind them to hold the highest ideals.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.