Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #76
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
What happened next was a blur but if I'd recall vaguely, sensei's hand went to my lapel, then he jerk/twist me there. That jerk/twisting motion was an example of principle of atemi which was used to distract me and momentarily stun me. When I was stunned, my resistant instantaneously dropped to zero. Then he proceeded to throw me using; I don't know, could be continuation of tenchinage or maybe he changed to iriminage or maybe Tani otoshi (judo type throw). Anyway in the next second, I was on the floor, slightly dazed and with a whiplash on my neck and sensei was already in a ready stance waiting for me to get up to be thrown again. Then whole process maybe lasted only a couple of second from my resistance to me on the floor.

This is something that I alluded to back in post #58. The dojo is a place to practice principle, to learn principle and to learn to understand principle.

When it comes to something else (randori, or "real" situation), I am not going to try and force the technique because that's the way we practice it in the dojo, because I get it in my head that I'm going to do ikkyo, or tenchinage. I am going to adapt my movement with uke until a technique happens. It probably won't resemble the dojo ikkyo or tenchinage, the important part is that I use the principles learned, just as Boon's sensei did.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #77
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
When it comes to something else (randori, or "real" situation), I am not going to try and force the technique because that's the way we practice it in the dojo, because I get it in my head that I'm going to do ikkyo, or tenchinage. I am going to adapt my movement with uke until a technique happens. It probably won't resemble the dojo ikkyo or tenchinage, the important part is that I use the principles learned, just as Boon's sensei did.
Just a note that Boon must have used the principle's he's learned in the dojo, too or else he wouldn't be walking around. He'd be buried 12cm deep in that mat.

Way to survive, Boon...a touch of whiplash...good on ya!

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 04-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #78
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
... So as uke to my sensei, I did not go down but resisted the throw to my maximum ability.... Then whole process maybe lasted only a couple of second from my resistance to me on the floor...
Makes sense to me. There are different ways to train, and using them at various times gives you the best base. We pretty much follow this progression as we train each technique:

1. Train cooperatively using a particular technique, uke not resisting (but not being flaccid, either). This allows nage and uke to learn the basics of the technique (body positioning, timing, and how to receive the technique safely)

2. Train cooperatively using a particular technique, gradually increasing uke's resistance. The more uke resists, the better your technique (positioning and timing) needs to be.

3. Train cooperatively using related techniques, with uke giving serious resistance. In this case, if uke is resisting the particular technique too much for nage to succeed with it, nage switches to a related technique since by resisting the first one uke will be leaving himself/;herself more open to one of the others.

4. Randori. Here, both parties are trying to use any techniques (or an agreed-upon subset) on each other at the same time, rather than taking turns as they did in the other training methods. In randori, it is very clear that you'd better not keep trying the same technique if your opponent is resisting it too hard. It's also very helpful to do randori with people other than your "usual" partner (if you have one), since you won't be testing your technique's limits if you only use it on people with whom you've cooperated before so you know what to expect to some degree.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #79
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
.... So as uke to my sensei, I did not go down but resisted the throw to my maximum ability.

What happened next was a blur but if I'd recall vaguely, sensei's hand went to my lapel, then he jerk/twist me there. That jerk/twisting motion was an example of principle of atemi which was used to distract me and momentarily stun me. When I was stunned, my resistant instantaneously dropped to zero. Then he proceeded to throw me using; I don't know, could be continuation of tenchinage or maybe he changed to iriminage or maybe Tani otoshi (judo type throw). Anyway in the next second, I was on the floor, slightly dazed and with a whiplash on my neck and sensei was already in a ready stance waiting for me to get up to be thrown again. Then whole process maybe lasted only a couple of second from my resistance to me on the floor.
Yeah, one of the ideas that seems to be built into Aikido is that if the first thing you try doesn't work, try something else. It's most obvious in irmi nage, but we'be played with say, you try ikkyo, it doesn't work, so you abort and switch to another technique.

In fact, now that I think of it, I "inspired" Sensei with one of these combinations one of my first classes last year! I don't remember what technique we were supposed to be doing, but apparently, I was reflexively standing up when I shouldn't have. Sensei saw it and came over and was using my uke to show how to compensate for that and he hit on the idea of cutting down with both hands on uke's arm; my uke (who, fortunately for him, is a senior student and could take the ukemi) slammed into the mat with a loud WHAM! (See what I mean?)

Sensei liked what he'd thought of very much. So he stopped the practice and showed everyone. Seeing uke's break fall, another new person said something like, "My husband is expecting me home alive." Fortunately, all us newbies got off with a rear sitfall.

Not as spectacular as Boon's, and I didn't get any whiplash, but it illustrates the principle. So if you have a "newbie" you can't do ikkyo (or whatever your first choice) is, abort and go to something else.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #80
Randathamane
United Kingdom

To my mind it is going to be very difficult to throw somebody that does not want to be thrown. Locks are all well and good, but as somebody pointed out from before- they must be instantaneous.

If Uke is committed to staying on balance and is absolutely determined to stay upright then that is what they will do. Many at this point will scream at their screens saying "take their balance". Thats the thing- balance is only broken until it is restored (one basic principle of ju-jitsu and alot of its seconds). if you are pushed backwards and lose your balance- 1 step will resolve the problem. the same is true in Aikido.
if you are off balance move to restore it. simple really.

Aikido is a brilliant martial art in that it limits such options by attempting to break Ukes posture. But at the end of the day- that is all it is- an attempt, and with all attempts they can fail. People should be more aware of this.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #81
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Number 4 suburi? It's just changing stance. You're in kamae, lets say right kamae. Bring your left foot so that it's level with your right so that you're standing with your feet together. Now step back with your right foot into kamae. Of course we still do forward/back foot irime and back foot irime tenkan.

hmmm...the only saburi I know of are the Ken and Jo saburi. Is this some sort of open hand saburi? Just wondering.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #82
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Oh no doubt you can critise Boxing etc for not dealing with kicks but the original question was about defending against Aikido, not Boxing. Boxing and Aikido are functionally different. Boxing is for public entertainment viz sport. Aikido is for self defence and therefore there is little basis for comparison since the aims that gave birth to each art are diametrically opposed. Boxing has no need to defend against kicks because they're illegal in the sport and if used will result in the fighter being disqualified. Aikido which is intended to be used in every day life against anything the opponent can throw at it, does need to worry about kicks.
Simply stating that lot's of other martial arts don't bother with them doesn't protect you from them. It's a big fat hairy deal until your knee pops from a round house. Having studied other arts it's probably not a problem for you but I think it's a serious problem for someone that's only done Aikido.

It's a martial mind thing, first make yourself invincible, then seek battle. Keep an eye on what your enemy is doing, study how they do things and why, find their weak spots, acknowlege your own weak spots and cover them.

I listen to everything my Sensei tells me, there's no point me being in the dojo otherwise.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #83
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
...... Boxing and Aikido are functionally different .....
Yet both are specializations. That's my point. There are arts like Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do that are all encompassing and other arts that are not.

Quote:
..... Aikido ..... Having studied other arts it's probably not a problem for you but I think it's a serious problem for someone that's only done Aikido.
That's valid. Then again, as you know there are plenty of anecdotes out there about Aikido teachers successfully dealing with kicking attacks even though they haven't trained against kicks. I tend to agree with yes, not being exposed to kicks can be a problem. On the other hand, if someone who has only done Aikido chimes in and claims to have dealt with a kicking attack, I'm not going to sit here and call that person a liar or lecture him about why that shouldn't have happened.

Quote:
..... I listen to everything my Sensei tells me, there's no point me being in the dojo otherwise.
Good.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #84
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Richard Player wrote:
To my mind it is going to be very difficult to throw somebody that does not want to be thrown .... If Uke is committed to staying on balance and is absolutely determined to stay upright then that is what they will do ....
There are plenty of people in and out of Aikido who can be almost impossible to move, no doubt about it. Even if you do everything right, they're still worth their weight in powdered cement.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 AM   #85
Randathamane
United Kingdom

Quote:
Simply stating that lot's of other martial arts don't bother with them doesn't protect you from them. It's a big fat hairy deal until your knee pops from a round house
Too true. Such attacks do exist and they are far more deadly than punches. Simple anatomy- the leg is stronger then the arm...

For a martial art to not deal with these types of attacks is folly. Yes i would agree that aikido is a specialization- but that would suggest that you need another art to back it up.
I do not agree with this. Aikido would work fine- but unfortunately kicks and knee attacks were completely written out of aikido. In my opinion- this could have catastrophic consequences. Against punches no question, but aikido lacks the ability to deal with attacks using the lower half of the body.
I have never seen a kick in the dojo in 3 years of practice. On the other hand however, i have witnessed a few fights and kicks were well in play.

Earlier in the thread somebody stated "you are not likely to train to defeat aikido".
Very true- but if you are trained in karate, kick boxing or TKD, you will kick if the opportune moment arises.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #86
Ian Upstone

Quote:
Richard Player wrote:
unfortunately kicks and knee attacks were completely written out of aikido.
Where were you told this? Although not covered in basic syllabus (or is that syllabi? ) Aikido works very well from kicks, treating them as you would any other attack (i.e. move off line!). As for knees - if your opponent has got this close, your aikido has already failed!

The two main reason kicks are not covered in basic techniques as far as I know, is that an initial attack is rarely going to be a kick (only martial artists would develop enough skill to be effective with them as an initial attack) and also because the ukemi involved can be rather unpleasant, even for folks with reasonably good ukemi skills.

I've been thrown with sokumen iriminage when attacking with a front kick - with my leg caught in the lower hand. (an optional bonus for tori/nage!). Nasty breakfall!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #87
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Aikido works well from kicks provided they're used as initial attacks.
Kicks generate so much body movement that it's pretty obvious somethings on the way and as such they shouldn't be used for inital attacks.
Used to disrupt techniques, though, I think they'd be very usefull. Any kick, even a simple football kick is going to cause trouble at point blank range with your hands full. All it needs to do is act as atemi.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #88
W^2
United_States

Hello Everyone,

I didn't read the rest of the posts, so I will limit my comments to the few aforementioned posts on defending against kicking techniques. Having trained in Aikido & Muay Thai, I'll throw in my two cents...

In Aikido, Happo No Kuzushi is the answer to defending against kicking techniques (among others), simply put. Any direction but forward will work against a centerline attack using the legs/feet, and all will work against transverse strikes -- you don't even need to use your hands, just move along an unbalancing line and the strength of their strike will disipate.

The caveat, of course, is being connected to your partner/opponent and controlling the rhythm, which is the whole point, from a strictly martial point of view.

Now I will venture off into an abstract issue related to this topic, as is typical for me. Feel free to stop reading at anytime... ; )

Every martial art has three general phases of training, regardless of the technical syllabus:

1) The training/retraining of an individuals mind, body, and dare I say spirit -- knowing yourself (Sun Tzu).

2) Learning to connect to your partner/opponent/enemy.

3) Controlling your partner/opponent/enemy -- knowing your enemy (Sun Tzu).

You are trained to 'win' - however you choose to define that - by methodically eliminating unknown variables and controlling known variables. It's almost too easy...

The point of this little diatribe is that techniques are often the focus of discussion when comparing physical attributes of various techniques, etc. However, in doing so we're looking at it out of context. You should be training to control your environment, including the people within it, and we do that by controlling our interactions. As a result, you should only be defending against a kick because that is what you want to do, and the direction of the attack is your opponents way of showing you how they want to be defeated.

Ciao,

Ward

Last edited by W^2 : 04-25-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 PM   #89
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Aikido works well from kicks provided they're used as initial attacks.
Kicks generate so much body movement that it's pretty obvious somethings on the way and as such they shouldn't be used for inital attacks.
Used to disrupt techniques, though, I think they'd be very usefull. Any kick, even a simple football kick is going to cause trouble at point blank range with your hands full. All it needs to do is act as atemi.
It's worth noting that Filipino Kali doesn't have you initiate attacks with kicks, but make you throw out a hand technique and then the kick can come in behind it. They also prefer low kicks to the groin or legs. Not many people in or out of Aikido train against them. A Thai round kick can also be applied from in very close because it doesn't involve fully extending the leg. One of those bad boys hits your leg and you're not conditioned to take it, game over.

I think someone thurooughly grounded in Aikido's principles could handle it, but it would be a real hairball because the situation would be very complicated and dynamic; the window of opportunity for "blending" would come and go in a second. Miss it and you're toast.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 AM   #90
geoffsaulnier
Dojo: St Andrews University Aikido Club, Scotland, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Uke doesn't *have* to bend their arm but apparently there's a risk of injury if they don't and since it occasionally hurts a bit when Sensei slams ikkyo on and by the way I end up in position to break newbies elbows, I assume that curving the arm is there for just that, injury prevention, bit like the way uke tenkans on shi-ho nage.
Hmmm - well, the curve is there so that you can break the balance in a reasonable size movement without getting into a strength contest. It is very hard to actually get ikkyo on a straight arm whilst standing, and it is also harder than you think to break an elbow whilst standing (best bet would be to slam your elbow down on theirs). ikkyo, the technique, is really about balance and taking their centre. ikkyo, the "principle," is really the kneeling lock applied.
Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
I see what you're saying, a more experienced tori might be able to throw me. It would be arrogant of me to flat out deny that it's possible. To my mind it would depend on how the uke's they'd trained with behaved. If they'd spent time training with uke's trying to defeat them and who really fought back, then ok fine, maybe but I don't think training with a co-operative uke will ever really prepare you for anything other than a fight with a co-operative uke.
This is the kind of stuff you think when you have not been training long enough to think differently. You can either take it on trust that you will feel differently about this in a few years, or just wait til you get there, but the key is just to keep training. At some point, you will suddenly "get it" and all this stuff about uke fighting back and all that will go away. What uke does will not really matter any more beyond the fact that (1) they give you a decent, energetic attack and (2) you keep them safe when applying the technique.
Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Train as you fight, fight as you train basically and I don't know anyone that fights like an uke.
It's not possible to train as you fight, or you would have no partners left. This is a martial art, not a sport. In sports, there are rules, and they keep people safe. In fights, there are no rules, and people keep safe usually by running away or killing/maiming/incapacitating everyone else. Try that in the dojo, and it's likely to be you last lesson... I would certainly kick your ass out into the street with an invitation to not return.

On the flipside, if you fight as you train, you'll get your butt kicked. Aikido doesn't look like what you train, usually, when you use it "for real(tm)." There are very few techniques at that stage. There is body movement, atemi, lots of kokyu nage, irimi nage, maybe the odd kote gaeshi, but that's likely to be about it, technique-wise. The rest will be creating what's required for the given situation thanks the the principles you have absorbed. Of course, every now and then, a technique will just present itself, and you'll get it in there, but that's rare.
Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
This is only half my argument though. The other half is that Aikido often leaves itself open to attack by ignoring anything which doesn't fit into it's world view, kicks especially. It's not like you need to deliver a massive bone cruching round house, you just need to disrupt their technique, you need not even land it, just freak them a bit.
No. Not true. Aikido deals with vectors of attack and attack energy along that vector. Kick are just like punches, really - the actual limb that's doing the striking doesn't really matter at all. if your principles for dealing with attack vectors and energies are well learned, it all becomes the same stuff. Obviously, if you're stuck at the stage where you're trying to get sankyo on their foot, you (1) will get your butt kicked and (2) need to train a lot more til you understand. To be more precise - treat a roundhouse kick at any level like you would a yonkyo, treat straight kicks at any level like tsuki, and anything fancy probably requires minor movement to nullify (like moving off the line, etc).
Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Classic example during two man attack, I dropped the first uke who landed in front of me and between me and the second uke. I kept my guard low because if I was the uke on the floor I would be kicking me in the groin or solar plexis or trying to take my legs.
Sensei tells me to to keep my guard up because of the second uke, even though he was well out of range and obstructed and thus far less of a threat than the uke on the floor placed perfectly to strike.
He was probably right, and you were probably wrong. That's not certain, but I was not there and therefore cannot comment, but from what I have read here... Sounds to me like your ma ai was incorrect if you had to worry about the uke on the ground and that you were fixating on them. Just do what you've got to do and get to proper distance and they can't kick you. Also, remember the artificial setting in the dojo - you dropped them and they're still able to kick you? In "real life" they would be unlikely to be in any shape to even move, let alone get a good kick at you. If they are in position to kick you when you finish the technique, you did it wrong.

The guard bit is also a bit movie-aiki. You are much less vulnerable it you give no indication of your guard in outward physical signals - your attacker has to then decide what they heck to attack. If you have an obvious kamae, you get into bluff and double bluff situations around opening, etc.
Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
I also understand that it's about learning principles too but on the street you'll be using the techniques that you're trainned to use albeit with some adaption.
Like I said above, if you approach a "real" situation like this, you're gonna lose. If you approach it with no preconceptions and prepared to deal with the energies of the situation as and when they arise, you will likely be OK.

===
Geoff Saulnier
Blending works for coffee...
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 AM   #91
geoffsaulnier
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
There are plenty of people in and out of Aikido who can be almost impossible to move, no doubt about it. Even if you do everything right, they're still worth their weight in powdered cement.
True - they are a great test! Of course, if you're in the right place to apply the technique, you are (1) in a safe place and (2) ideally placed to get in some devastating atemi. A few of those, and they will eventually move.

Also, if you take the balance on the initial attack and extend that, that path leads fairly naturally to the ground no matter how big or strong they are. You cannae change the laws of physics, captain!

===
Geoff Saulnier
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM   #92
geoffsaulnier
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Yet both are specializations. That's my point. There are arts like Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do that are all encompassing and other arts that are not.
There are martial arts (read - no rules) and sports (= rules). Boxing is a sport. Aikid and jeet kune do are martial arts.
Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
That's valid. Then again, as you know there are plenty of anecdotes out there about Aikido teachers successfully dealing with kicking attacks even though they haven't trained against kicks. I tend to agree with yes, not being exposed to kicks can be a problem. On the other hand, if someone who has only done Aikido chimes in and claims to have dealt with a kicking attack, I'm not going to sit here and call that person a liar or lecture him about why that shouldn't have happened.
Does five years as a bouncer count? My proudest achievement over that time is that I hurt very few people, but that I got hurt even less (one black eye and a sore rib - I can cope with that). As I say (in a previous post), it's about vectors of attack and attack energy along those vectors. It's not about kicks and punches.

===
Geoff Saulnier
Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #93
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Geoff Saulnier wrote:
There are martial arts (read - no rules) and sports (= rules). Boxing is a sport. Aikid and jeet kune do are martial arts.

Yet boxing techniques are incorporated into Jun Fan/JKD, because they are very good at what they do at their range. And when you look back at Filipino boxing, which (to say the least) influenced Western Boxing, you find the same techniques and guard positions. There are plenty of martial artists who stand by boxing for a variety of reasons.

The trick is to look beyond the label of "sport" or "martial art" and look dispassionately at the skills or tool sets you are getting. Aikido gives you one set of tools. Boxing gives you another set of tools. LaCoste/Inosanto Kali gives you a gazillion tools as well as a tool board, if you will, that shows how everything fits together. So does Jun Fan/JKD, although I never studied that -- just got a load of digressions and asides about it over the years from my Kali instructors who also just happen to be Jun Fan/JKD instructors. Yep, they talked a lot. I think they take after Guru Dan Inosanto.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM   #94
jester

United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
There's a form of randori in Shodokan Aikido called toshu randori - both participants are unarmed. Attacking and defending you are limited to the techniques found in the junanahon and their variations. You can initiate, react or counter. Quite an eye opener watching two people who know what they are doing.
To me, this is a very important way to train. It is where I learned to flow from one technique to another. It can get quite intense if both uke's push it. It can also be done real slow, but both uke's have to keep the slow pace.

My instructor always said, nothing ever works. Meaning that if something fails, it opens up something else. Don't assume that a technique will work. Almost 100% of the time, if you try to make a failed technique work, you will end up being thrown or locked.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #95
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Quote:
It's not possible to train as you fight, or you would have no partners left.
On the flipside, if you fight as you train, you'll get your butt kicked.
Well it's a balance thing. I certainly wouldn't like to spend my training sessions having a full on fight, but just now and then have uke use a bit of creativity to keep me on my toes and stop me getting into a fixed mindset.

Quote:
To be more precise - treat a roundhouse kick at any level like you would a yonkyo, treat straight kicks at any level like tsuki, and anything fancy probably requires minor movement to nullify (like moving off the line, etc).
If the kick is an inital attack then yes I totally agree with you. If, however, the kick comes at the very start or a technique as you're dealing with a punch or maybe even another kick you're at the very least going to have to abort the technique you're doing, or take the kick. The same is true, if they hop/step back on balance during a technique and lash out with the other foot or use your energy to boot you. Shi-ho nage for example turns me so I can dump some more energy into that turning movement, pirouette on one foot and smash the other into Tori.

Quote:
Sounds to me like your ma ai was incorrect if you had to worry about the uke on the ground and that you were fixating on them. Just do what you've got to do and get to proper distance and they can't kick you. Also, remember the artificial setting in the dojo - you dropped them and they're still able to kick you? In "real life" they would be unlikely to be in any shape to even move, let alone get a good kick at you. If they are in position to kick you when you finish the technique, you did it wrong.
There are lots of wrong Aikidoka then I invariably get dumped in good positions to kick from. Yes getting dumped on concrete hurts, yes you'll be pain for a week or so but it's never stopped me getting my own back on the person responsible for it. Usually I'm too pumped up on adrenalin and or too grumpy to care about pain. I grew up in a pub and I've seen people smashed into wooden floors, tarmac, concrete, onto broken glass, brick, you name it and I've never seen any one just lay there afterward and just take whatever's coming. Occasionally I've seen them get up and decide it's not wise to carry on but I've also seen them get up and go berzerk.

Quote:
Like I said above, if you approach a "real" situation like this, you're gonna lose. If you approach it with no preconceptions and prepared to deal with the energies of the situation as and when they arise, you will likely be OK
True but it's also nice to enter into a situation with the realisation that there are energies involved that you might not have trained for.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #96
Chris Birke

How do I defend against Aikido?

This question is essentially "how do I defend against defensive tactics"?

Is anyone out there training offense?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #97
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I couldn't have said it better myself! After studying aikido for last 9 years or so, I am working with some really good MMA and BJJ guys and I am getting my ass handed to me. I thought I was pretty good but I am finding out that things are much, much different when you go up against skilled opponents.

That said, unskilled, not one problem using my aikido, it works great, just ask the two new guys I kotegaeshi'd today!

Things are much different when the cooperation stops!

This is exactly why I fell in love with BJJ, and why I think "mainstream" Aikido could benefit from their training methods. Questions regarding reversing or countering techniques become self evident through DOING, with resistance. It's all reversible, whether through tactics or redirection, regardless of the techniques employed, regardless of the style.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #98
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
Is anyone out there training offense?
Sen no sen timing.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #99
Chris Birke