Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2001, 11:01 PM   #1
LiquidZero
Dojo: Arlington Aikikai, Arlington Heights, IL
Question Rank Beginner

I have just started aikido classes, and I think it's great! I just find it hard to remember how to do techniques. Anyone know of good repositories of techniques on the net? I'd love to practice as much as I can, sometimes 8 times a week just isn't enough.

John Opager
Old 09-28-2001, 12:31 AM   #2
Datamike
Dojo: Aikibudo Turku ry.
Thumbs down Patience really is a virtue...

I remember when I started, I had the same problem. Take my word for it, the techniques will come around. In no time, you will notice that you don't even have to think about the techniques, but you will rather try to figure how to accomblish small issues: like distance, foot work, speed, etc.

Try not to try too hard. There's a good reason not to practice everyday, especially when you've just started out. My teacher wouldn't even let me in the dojo everyday. A good rest is as important as a good practice. When you practice, your body runs over time, you use more muscle power and more energy. This is the reason why your shape is improved, but it happens only when you rest. You can jump, run, and ride all you want but if you don't rest your shape won't improve.

Also, when if you practice techniques everyday you won't have time to think them over. When not practicing, you can rest your mind and take it off from complicated figures and movements. Then when you go back to the dojo after a day or two, you'll find that you are more energized and you succeed better.

.----- ---- -- - - - -
: name :: tomi kaistila
: www :: datamike.org
'------- ----- - - -- - - -
Old 09-28-2001, 01:42 AM   #3
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
As long as you remember one thing each class you're doing fine.

That one thing could be how to sit in seiza, what the proper hanmi is, how to roll, etc. As a beginner a lot is thrown at you at once no on expects you to know it all right away. As long as you continue to make a dedicated effort it will eventually stick.

Right now you are learning to paint, but you are wanting to paint the "Last Supper" today. Right now, your're learning stick figures. First learn how to use the paint brush, then learn to blend colors, and then you will make your first painting. It won't be Leonardo DiVinci, but it will be a painting. You'll get there.

And yeah, rest a little. Sometimes you need to take time out to let your mind rest to absorb everything your learning.

Anne Marie

Last edited by giriasis : 09-28-2001 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Rank Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidZero
I have just started aikido classes, and I think it's great! I just find it hard to remember how to do techniques. Anyone know of good repositories of techniques on the net? I'd love to practice as much as I can, sometimes 8 times a week just isn't enough.

John Opager
Hello John,

...give this site a looksee:

http://www.aikido-world.com/index.html

You can go to the 'Technical Tips' section and see many MPEGS of techniques being preformed.

Just keep in mind that your dojo/style might execute all these techniques differently, but at least you have a visual guide to connect with the vague Japanese names.

Best of luck with your training!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 09-28-2001, 10:51 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Here are some sites which you may like - however you must bare in mind that they are likely to be different in 'style' to what you usually practise, and the techniques may even have different names (e.g. the animations arr tomiki aikido).

Ask people at your dojo if there are any books you could borrow. These are great for helping you relate technques to names. My favourite when I was starting was Aikido Complete by Yamada. However Gozo Shioda has also done some good books (look on the book review) - although these are quite obviously Yoshinkan, the pointers are good for everyone.

some animations:

http://www.fightingfitaikido.freeser...k/pictures.htm

also a useful dictionary at:

http://www.aikido.asn.au/dictionary.htm

Also try looking at these pics:

http://www.hollenders.com/Aikido/Techniques/basic.htm

hope this helps - I felt exactly the same when I started (in fact I still do now!) Train as often as you want, but if you find you are getting bored cut back a bit.

Ian
Old 09-29-2001, 11:12 PM   #6
LiquidZero
Thanks all for your help and hints!
Old 09-30-2001, 05:56 AM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by ian
Here are some sites which you may like -
<snip>
some animations:

http://www.fightingfitaikido.freeser...k/pictures.htm

Ian
This is rather a cheesy website!

The techniques are performed in these animations by Nariyama Shihan, the technical director of Shodokan aikido. To see the same images, with rather more informative text, I'd suggest having a look at the Shodokan honbu dojo website.

As Ian says, you may find these animations confusing though, not least because Shodokan and Aikikai dojos use completely different names for many techniques.

Good luck with your training, and dont work so hard that you forget to enjoy it!

Sean
x
Old 10-04-2001, 10:32 PM   #8
LiquidZero
Sean -

Forget to enjoy it? I'm becoming an aikidoholic already... I've dragged half my family to classes, want to get them started.

Sure it hurts (oh man sitting in seiza is so painful! hard to walk after class), but I always look forward to my classes. I just feel like a moron, when sensei shows us a technique (like a tsuki tenkan kotegaeshi into nikkyo) and it looks easy enough. I get with a partner, and if I'm doing nage, I sit there like "huh? what do I do? " Guess everyone has that though

Thanks again,

John