Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
Buck
United_States
Re: "Transparent Power" Book

Quote:
Patrick Hutchinson wrote: View Post
"I have held my opinions until now for the same reason tea is brewed"
What did you do, wave the teabag at the water?
LOL, sometimes before I put the teabag in the hot water. Don't like my tea too hot. It doesn't steep as well and hard to drink. Ok, you got me I am an Avatar Last Air Bender fan.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
Patrick Hutchinson

Is there an emoticon which means "Voom, that went right over his head..."
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #28
Buck
United_States

One more comment on the book, I am not sure if it really is a book, a person could or couldn't live without. I read it, and haven't picked it up since. It is part of my martial arts library. It is one of those books you just have to read and then decide if it is something inspiring or motivating. In this case, the reader can't have preconceptions of such things before it is read. I am sure some people will dismiss the book as well before and after reading it, as those who endorse it. It is an individual taste sort of thing, where you have to sample it to see if it fits your taste first before buying it. I don't see it appealing to most MMA or BJJ guys who want to be champion fighters in fighting venues, for example. Or to those who use martial arts for self-defense. I think it appeals to martial arts scholars and sophisticates, and those who are interested in the Japanese. Or those who, like I said, want to know more of traditional Japanese martial arts culture. I think the book provides a good structure of such.

FWIW, I am curious how many copies sold in the US.

Last edited by Buck : 07-12-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
...FWIW, I am curious how many copies sold in the US.
Hi Philip,

I guess I may have the only copy in Malaysia

I have not finished reading the book but thus far I do agree with your comments.

Aiki (a principle of In'yo) transcends all martial arts. Yet, the soul of Aiki-Do is so elusive in the art.

Regards

David Y
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #30
David Yap
Malaysia

Aiki - A technique done by harmonization of energy which succeeds over other techniques that use physical strength and manipulation of joints. With a very deep understanding of Aiki, it is possible for even a small girl to defeat a strong man

I think this describes Aikido pretty well. I wonder why this thread on the book is placed under "Non-Aikido Martial Traditions"

Perhaps, what demarcates Aikido and Non-Aikido Martial traditions is a deep understanding of Aiki