Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Michael Neal
Aikido Works

It has been almost 2 years since I have done any Aikido but in Judo last night I was practicing with a new student with experience in Aiki ju jitsu.

He asked me to do some strikes at him, he was trying to do Jujitsu techniques on me but could not get them to work. I asked him to do the same to me and I practically threw him across the room onto his face with Ikkyo and then planted him on his back with kotegashi.

I was more shocked than he was.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Re: Aikido Works

Of course Aikido works!

To quote Ikeda Sensei, "Aikido works. Maybe your aikido not work, but aikido works."

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 05-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Aikido is not a person, it can not work or not work.

The success of applying Aikido depends on each situation and particularly on the participant trying to apply Aikido.

Amir
Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Michael Neal

Just to be clear I did not actually throw him on his face, my original post sounds a bit violent it was all in good fun.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Talking Re: Aikido Works

After playing paintball with some friends, I was riding on the tailgate of my friend's pickup truck. When he drove through a little mud, he momentarily lost traction. He gave the engine more gas, and the truck surged forward after regaining traction. The truck's bedliner was very smooth, so I didn't move quite as fast as the truck did. I knew that I was going to slip off, so I threw my stuff into the lap of the guy sitting next to me. Thankfully, the truck only got up to a little over five miles an hour. I dropped into a backward ukemi roll and ran to catch up to them. The look on my friend's face when I sat back down was pretty comical. Often it's in ways that surprise us, but aikido definitely works!!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
MatthewJones
United_States

Quote:
Lloyd McWhirt wrote:
Of course Aikido works!

To quote Ikeda Sensei, "Aikido works. Maybe your aikido not work, but aikido works."
"Easy when you know how, neh?"

Good times!

It sounds to me that you are a much better martial artist than this other fellow. You might have used a aikido technique, but that is irrelevant. If your life is being threatened does it matter which technique, aikido or otherwise, you use? Your training in Aikido has allowed you to become a strong martial artist, take that in and enjoy it, give credit to yourself. Also his weaknesses are not examples of the weakness of Aiki-jujutsu but instead show the weakness of his martial ability.

Last edited by MatthewJones : 05-18-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
It has been almost 2 years since I have done any Aikido but in Judo last night I was practicing with a new student with experience in Aiki ju jitsu.

He asked me to do some strikes at him, he was trying to do Jujitsu techniques on me but could not get them to work. I asked him to do the same to me and I practically threw him across the room onto his face with Ikkyo and then planted him on his back with kotegashi.

You've come back full circle, Mike. If you catch what I mean.

<YODA SPEAK (TM)>...
Quote:
To the light side of the force, welcome back you shall

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Michael Neal

Quote:
To the light side of the force, welcome back you shall
unfortunately, according to George Lucas I have gone to the dark side since I support George W. Bush, so I am now Darth Michael, all hope is lost.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Just to be clear I did not actually throw him on his face, my original post sounds a bit violent it was all in good fun.
Come one Michael, you know you have an evil streak and loved every minute of it.

I have use aikido techs all the time in BJJ (when I am allowed to!) Kotegaeshi is one of my favorites. Also have a mean omaplata from the guard with sankyo.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #10
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

cool story michael .
Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #11
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

lol kevin! I would LOVE to see a vid of that. Omaplata + gaurd + sankyo = pain
Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I am now Darth Michael
Does that make you a sith dan?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Oh God - shoot one of us -please.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-20-2005, 02:47 AM   #14
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

I vote for shooting Bronson

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #15
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
I vote for shooting Bronson
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #16
Michael Neal

Quote:
Come one Michael, you know you have an evil streak and loved every minute of it.
thats right I am Darth Michael after all

Quote:
Does that make you a sith dan?
I guess I now have to find a good black gi
Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #17
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
unfortunately, according to George Lucas I have gone to the dark side since I support George W. Bush, so I am now Darth Michael, all hope is lost.

[rant]
I voted for GW too, this time, but when I saw the article on that in USA Today and I almost went through the roof. The same liberals who may be praising Mr. Lucas for taking a stand against the Iraq war were blasting him for being a "racist" in Episode 1. (No such comments about Ep 2 -- I guess they were in a bit of a slump.) Never mind the fact that he drew up the general outline for Darth Vader's backstory something like 25 years ago. At least. Osama, GW, and Saddamm Hussein were not even on the map then.

I feel like the stereotypical parent who says, "You are going to enjoy yourself if I have to break every bone in your body:" Go, watch them movie, enjoy for what it is -- a great adventure that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Let Michael Moore cover the politics; go to Star Wars for fun.

Or Else.

[/rant]
Old 05-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #18
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Michael Neal? It's not that shocking; things stay in your muscle memory for a long time. I havne't trained in Wing Chun since 1999 or thereabouts, but I retain enough to spit out a trap when Guro Andy is using me as uke. No big deal. You may now resume hating Aikido, confident in the knowledge this means absolutely nothing.

Last edited by CNYMike : 05-20-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Oh God - shoot one of us -please.
Eh, kill 'em all -- let God sort 'em out.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 AM   #20
Michael Neal

I don't hate Aikido, I just think it needs some refinement in the area of training methods. Mostly more randori.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #21
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I don't hate Aikido, I just think it needs some refinement in the area of training methods. Mostly more randori.
*Sneaks up and pins "Shodothug" badge on Mr Neal.*
Old 05-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Ok. If you say so. I believe you.

It's still just a question of something still in your muscle memory being "tripped." Don't worry about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #23
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

I really think one of the only things separating Aikido from some other arts is the method of training.

Some of us novices tried to do randori a few months ago at an open Sunday class. It didn't turn out too well. I reverted to Judo, Wrestling and Jujutsu and did not do a very good job. Needless to say I got busted in the lip by a strike someone threw and there was blood everywhere.

As I told myself, I don't need to do randori at this stage because if thats all I did I wouldn't be learning how to do proper technique...I'd just be reinforcing my old ways that rely on too much power. That is why soft training is important for some people. Now for people with no other martial arts experience...I would say more randori may be better. My sensei was also very mad at us!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #24
Michael Neal

but good Judo emphasizes technique over power as well, you can do randori and focus on technique, you just have to put your ego aside.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #25
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

In the BJJ i am studying, we will roll very slow for 3/4 of the class, and then spend approximately 15 to 20 minutes in "randori" (rolling). I think it is easier to do in BJJ and Judo because of the nature of the skills you are training. Much harder to do with aikido and still be accomplishing the goals of aikido. Those are my experiences.

I think you do have to be very cautious not to reinforce bad habits in aikido. The dynamic is slightly different from judo or bjj, IMHO.