Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 22, 2004:

How important is meditation in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
While meditation is not a formal part of my Aikido training, I feel they compliment each other towards my overall growth.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Senior people of my school, and especially the school on Maui, do a lot of meditation, both in the dojo and privately. They say, if you are serious about Shin Shin Toitsu you will probably end up doing this too.

At the moment I have to take this on faith. I can see arguments why there might be a connection, but I can't actually perceive any in my own practice.

If nothing else, ki breathing has inarguably been good for my lung capacity and ability to sit seiza.

My dojo does ki breathing, or occasionally the expansion/contraction meditation, at the end of every second or third class. I don't think we do it long enough to accomplish much other than teaching the technique, though. It's up to the students to take it further if they want.

If I lived on Maui I would do the meditation sessions at the dojo there. I don't know what it accomplishes yet (intellectual answers but nothing from my own experience) but I feel like it has something to offer.

Mary Kaye
Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States
Although meditation is momentary before each practice session, the strength of the art is in a well-founded, composed mind. This is developed by deliberation and meditation.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Doka
How important is meditation in your aikido training?

As important as it is in Rugby, Tennis, taking a shower, painting the house, using the loo, watching TV, eatting dinner...etc.

It isn't! If you meditate, then you are meditating, not doing Aikido. That's something else!

Peace!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
What you are talking about is not meditation in the fuller sense but a clearing of mind. Mokuso (and yes it does mean meditation) is supposed to be really a matter of a few seconds.
Quote:
Robert Coit (rcoit) wrote:
Although meditation is momentary before each practice session, the strength of the art is in a well-founded, composed mind. This is developed by deliberation and meditation.
I agree with Mark. The longer, sitting in sieza type, meditation is a separate activity. It may personally help your Aikido just like any cross-training but is not necessary.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido