Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
ikkitosennomusha
Yonkyo

How many of you have trouble finding the yonkyo pin? Also, have you ever had your instructor to name techniques as "gokyo", "rokkyo", "nanakyo", etc.?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
maynard
Dojo: St. Pete Aikikai
I believe gokyo in our dojo is similar to ikkyo, but performed from the inside. I have not heard of the others.

John
Old 03-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
ikkitosennomusha
Quote:
John Murray (maynard) wrote:
I believe gokyo in our dojo is similar to ikkyo, but performed from the inside. I have not heard of the others.

John
Hi John!

Most know up to gokyo which is sort of an arm bar version of ikkyo. Gokyo of course means "5th teaching" and many of you will never hear the terms "6th teaching, 7th teaching" and so on. So most of you might feel there were no numbered teachings beyonf 5. Now, In Tomiki-ryu, they do not use this terminology, rather they try to verbally explain the technique. Aikikai uses the "Ikkyo" and so forth.

Back on the topic, many of you I am sure have performed Rokkyo and so on and just did not know it was the 6th teaching. With a little research, you will see what I mean. Thanks for the reply!

regards,

Brad Medling
Old 03-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Gilles D'Hoker

Dojo: Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium
In our dojo the are a few, like myself, where yonkyo has no effect... Are we doing something wrong or is normal?

Gokyo we often perform, if we attack with a knife or 'tanto'
Old 03-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Doka
Maybe your Yonkyo does not work because you are doing it as Yonkyo instead of Yonkajo?
Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Noel
Yonkyo can give control of the arm without pain...

Uke goes down a lot faster if you do find the nerve, though.

Gilles, Gilles, you just haven't practiced with someone either sufficiently advanced, or sufficiently nasty. I used to think like you, then I met a guy from Syracuse, NY at a seminar... Ouch
Old 03-14-2004, 02:10 AM   #7
WylMorris
Dojo: Field Aikido Balwyn
Quote:
Noel Kurth (Noel) wrote:
Gilles, Gilles, you just haven't practiced with someone either sufficiently advanced, or sufficiently nasty. I used to think like you, then I met a guy from Syracuse, NY at a seminar... Ouch
On a related note, I never quite had a Sankyo like the one I got from my instructor today. I'm still feeling that one. And I thought I had a pretty good Sankyo....

BadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadger Badger
MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!
Old 03-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #8
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
Wyl,

It's definitely:

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince, / And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest." I think even in the first quarto (the "bad" quarto), the lines are like this. In a new norton shakespeare edit it's lines 5.2.302-3; whatever version you've got should be around there. But come on man, this is Shakespeare. This is important stuff.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #9
Kensai
I've really started to love Yonkyo resently. Although having the pressure point makes Uke make funny faces, I'd rather have more hop power for a faster take down than mess about finding the nerve....

Resently I've found that Yonkyo is probably the one of the easier techniques to use as a counter.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-14-2004, 05:59 AM   #10
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Here's a thread on this topic from a year ago.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...?threadid=3483

mark j.

Take care,

Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
Old 03-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #11
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
You don`t need to get the nerve to do yonkyo, it`s just a bonus if you do. If you`ve taken uke`s balance, and use the stretch, it should still work fine. There are four nerve points for yonkyo, two on each side of the arm, left and right. Don`t try to find them, the harder you try, the less effective they are. If you the knuckle at the base of the index finger softly, you`ll have a better chance.

Gokkyo is a variation on Ikkyo, used for knife attacks. Basically reverses the way you take uke`s arm to lessen your chances of getting cut. The finishing pin is a bit more brutal too, in order to get uke to release the knife, if he can

Rokkyo as has been taught to me here in the UK, is pretty much the same as the hiji shime taught to me in Japan.

I`ve not personally heard of nanakyo or higher.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-14-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Bushi
I have a hard time getting yonkyo some times too. Mostly on big muscular guys. It's realy effective when you do get it though . If you realy want to get it on someone, the yawarra stick has never failed me .

About gokyo: I learned that the only difference betwean gokyo and Ikkyo was that with gokyo, the thumb is on top, and the fingers on the bottom of the wrist, where with Ikkyo, it's more like you are holding onto a bicicle handle, with the thumb on bottom, and fingers on top (that's with a mountain bike anyway...)
Old 03-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #13
ikkitosennomusha
I had to go beyond the dojo I was in the learn the yonkyo pin corectly. Sadly on my early kyu exams, we just had to fake the pin or try to get a stretch to make uke tap. Yonkyo is a tricky thing and No one will get it nless they have been instructed by somone really advanced. My nidan sensei at the time did not even know how.

Now, I have been taught by a couple aikido greats and it never fails. Bryan is basically right alothough there are a few more points to consider. I will apply the usual nerve pin only once which usually works and if not, I waste no time by going into something that will never fail! Maybe I can explain later. Gotta run for now.

Brad Medling