Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
fo2sh-nico
Dojo: body masters
Freaky! aikido addiction

well i have been training in aikido for 3 weeks now , [I LOVE IT ], it is turning into real addiction, i live for it [not actually] but i just cant wait between every lesson and the other so i just visit this site and it kind of satisfies my addiction, i just wanna say that this is the greatest martial art ever, and those who say that it is not good for self defense then i advise : TRY IT . TRY to actually use it in the street believe me it works even if you you only know one technique then u could use it if you trained in it a lot..........................as vin diesel says: I LIVE FOR THIS S**T

THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US MAKES US STRONGER
Old 03-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Quote:
but i just cant wait between every lesson
I still feel like that after a year and a half!

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself...keep on keeping on!

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 03-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Fausto
Dojo: Bu Iku Kai Mexico
After almost 12 years of training I LOVE IT!, if I could live teaching aikido I would!... keep on trainig
Old 03-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
All drugs get you in the end....

"pass the steriods" - Vim Petrol

"That which doesn't kill us, sure makes our knees hurt" - ...
Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
William Boyd
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
I've been training for four years and I love this stuff. I hope to keep in aikido for life.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:41 AM   #6
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Talking

keep training, keep training.

In my short experience i've seen alot of people who come into the dojou and love it, but then leave after a few months as the "novelty" of the art wares off.

Not saying you're going to leave. But keep at it for a year. Then i'll be impressed

Good luck, hope your training goes well.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
fo2sh-nico
Dojo: body masters
thanks

thank you guys a lot for your support, and dont worry i dont think i will ever quit, especially that aikido really goes along with my religion [islam] , AIKIDO is an art of peace and purity of the soul, and never hurting people unless in self defense , nd i also believe that in order to live peaceully you have to have the ability to destroy, just to keep your enemies away and afraid, and AIKIDO does it all for me

THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US MAKES US STRONGER
Old 03-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
fjcsuper

Talking

Yep... can't wait till the next training. It has always been this feeling for me ever since I started out 2 years ago.

I think it's Aikido that keeps us going in life! It's never enough.

It's just the start for you, fouad. Much more joy and happiness you shall find as you train on.

It is inevitable.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
I'm just a beginner myself, but I know how you feel. I'm obsessed.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan
Quote:
Austin Piccone (cuguacuarana) wrote:
I'm just a beginner myself, but I know how you feel. I'm obsessed.
I cannot add more to this quote... six months only, and "addicted" is an understatement

--
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #11
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Fourteen months, still addicted. When I have to travel for my job I find myself creeping out of scientific meetings to look for local dojo....

For me it's particularly being thrown; a class session of, say, bokken drills or one-person exercises doesn't get the same rush.

One of my sempai said that he'd gone to his first seminar when he was still way too green, and fractured two ribs. His friends all said, "Well, you won't be doing *that* again." He said, "What do you mean? Can't stop now!" (This story becomes particularly disturbing when you realize he was fifty at the time.) Sometimes I think we are all crazy.

Mary Kaye
Old 03-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
When my family visited me in college this week, I didn't train for most of their stay here. During this period, I started to have weird dreams about doing aikido. Is there any cure? (cries)

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #13
Jessie Brown
United_States
I thought I was obsessed when I first started training about a year and a half ago. Now I find myself even more alarming- I thought the obsession was supposed to diminish!! Now my non-Aikido friends complain because no account of my day is complete without something said about Aikido! I still have friends outside the dojo, although I've heard this is a more advanced symptom. When training isn't a possiblity, I find myself haunting the Aikido websites: writing to other Aikidokas on AikiWeb and drooling over weapons on Bujin Design. And now it's come to the point where I come extra early to class because I ENJOY mopping (we have mats, not tatami) and hate it when it's done before I get there! I'm sure my family and friends shudder to think how much worse I'll be in two more years!!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:42 AM   #14
Olga Mihailova
Dojo: BUDO Center
Latvia
When I started I had 7 trainings per week what was not enough and didn't want to do anything else. Then in 3 months I have torn my knee ligament an was out for a month. BAD in the beginning later this break turned into a wonderful feeling - to know perfectly well that I can live without Aikido. Then I was back.

Now, after a year, I still have 5-7 trainings per week and Aikido surely is the best thing in my life. The best, but not the only. And THAT is really good.