Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
Janet Rosen

Re: Mark's potentially big adventure? (MBA)

Mark in terms of general travel/road info I'm familiar w/ California between Oregon border south to San Francisco, including SF where I lived over 30 yrs - at which point Tarik can probably take over very nicely for the south of SF/central coast area til somebody else picks up as general road guide for SoCal!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Mark,

I would be more than happy to invite you to Hokkaido for some training and help out with accommodation, but I'm not sure if I'll be here in two years! Anyway, you should consider going to Hokkaido on you itinerary. Apart from the training, you can visit Shirataki village, where Ueshiba started training under Sokaku Takeda. There's still a dojo there and you can visit the Shrine that Ueshiba prayed at! You can also sleep in the dojo. I'd recommend training there for a few days. It's a really special place with a powerful atmosphere.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
NagaBaba

Hi Mark,
If you want to visit Montreal, let me know. A travel across North Am. Japan and Australia will be very easy. However Asia is another story. It will be very dangerous going through the South - Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. Sooner or later you will surly get kidnapped and possibly killed. Going by north Asia(China and Russia ) is also dangerous and technically difficult. This is different world. I know few friends (experienced travelers) who gave up going this way after few days....

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #29
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

What a cool idea! If your travels take you near Pittsburgh (south western PA) please stop in for a visit. We can provide beatings (wiht a feeling of kind loving protection, of course), bed and beer.....

Cheers,
Garth
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #30
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Mark in terms of general travel/road info I'm familiar w/ California between Oregon border south to San Francisco, including SF where I lived over 30 yrs - at which point Tarik can probably take over very nicely for the south of SF/central coast area til somebody else picks up as general road guide for SoCal!
Hi Janet,

Many years ago in the 1970's (it seems like another lifetime) I travelled just about the whole length of highway 101 from LA to Seattle. I really loved that road. I also did the same journey on I 5, can't say that I really like that one too much!

I know things change, so I will contact you as and when I know when I'm heading your way.

regards,

Mark
p.s. thanks for the PM

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #31
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Mark

Yes - you are mad! ;-)

But its your life...and you only get one as far as I know.

Enjoy it...I'll deffo read your blog!

Cheers
D
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #32
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Mark,

I would be more than happy to invite you to Hokkaido for some training and help out with accommodation, but I'm not sure if I'll be here in two years! Anyway, you should consider going to Hokkaido on you itinerary. Apart from the training, you can visit Shirataki village, where Ueshiba started training under Sokaku Takeda. There's still a dojo there and you can visit the Shrine that Ueshiba prayed at! You can also sleep in the dojo. I'd recommend training there for a few days. It's a really special place with a powerful atmosphere.
Hi Oisin,

I hope you are still there, it would be great to practice with you. I will definitely visit the Shrine and hope to get some good practice in there too. I will be in touch nearer the time for recommendations of good teachers to search out whilst in Japan.

regards,

Mark

Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #33
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Mark

Yes - you are mad! ;-)

But its your life...and you only get one as far as I know.

Enjoy it...I'll deffo read your blog!

Cheers
D
Hi Daren,

thanks for that

I'll definitely come up and see you before I take off. I will probably need some toughening up to prepare me for what lies ahead

cheers

Mark

Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #34
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

Come train with us at one of the nicest dojo in the US.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #35
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Daren,

thanks for that

I'll definitely come up and see you before I take off. I will probably need some toughening up to prepare me for what lies ahead

cheers

Mark
ha ha...not sure you'll get that from us Brissle softies...but happy to try.

D
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #36
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,
If you want to visit Montreal, let me know. A travel across North Am. Japan and Australia will be very easy. However Asia is another story. It will be very dangerous going through the South - Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. Sooner or later you will surly get kidnapped and possibly killed. Going by north Asia(China and Russia ) is also dangerous and technically difficult. This is different world. I know few friends (experienced travelers) who gave up going this way after few days....
Hi Szczepan,

have you seen what has been happening in the UK recently! I have as much chance of being battered and beaten in London as I have in Russia or China.

I appreciate your warning of caution, I know there are dangerous places and people in the world, however, with a bit of awareness, it is possible to avoid most of them. When I was travelling in the US/Canada with 3 small children, when people heard that we were going to Mexico, many advised us it was dangerous down there and that we were irresponsible to put our kids at risk. They couldn't have been more wrong. We felt safer there, than in the average north american city.

If I get to Montreal, I will look you up, I hope you live in a safe part of the city

regards,

Mark

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Go for it. I will buy the book definitely. I'm sure I'll also recommend it to others I know who haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in this cyber world. So put me down for ten copies in advance.

Regards.G.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #38
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Many years ago in the 1970's (it seems like another lifetime) I travelled just about the whole length of highway 101 from LA to Seattle. I really loved that road. I also did the same journey on I 5, can't say that I really like that one too much!
The smallest (and slowest, and most stunningly scenic, and in some places, quite scary) one to try for a similar route would be Highway 1.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #39
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Go for it. I will buy the book definitely. I'm sure I'll also recommend it to others I know who haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in this cyber world. So put me down for ten copies in advance.

Regards.G.
Hi Graham,

10 it is then, I'll sign them all (may be worth something in generations to come )

I hope to get up to London to see you before I take off, I'll PM you when I know I am coming up there, to find out your training schedule.

regards,

Mark

Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #40
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Hi Graham,

10 it is then, I'll sign them all (may be worth something in generations to come )

I hope to get up to London to see you before I take off, I'll PM you when I know I am coming up there, to find out your training schedule.

regards,

Mark
Hey, you're welcome. You'll be a much honoured guest.

Regards.G.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #41
Steve Pilling
Dojo: Aikido Iaido Club
United Kingdom

we are only a small club/dojo but if you would like to visit us in Munich then just send us a mail at aikidomunich@t-online.de. We would be happy to train with you.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Hmm reminds me of a thread in couch surfing.. The guy wanted to do a dojo surfing, but he's still not here yet after 2 years. Hopefully you'll one up him...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #43
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Hmm reminds me of a thread in couch surfing.. The guy wanted to do a dojo surfing, but he's still not here yet after 2 years. Hopefully you'll one up him...
Somewhere there is a dead uke stinking up a dojo....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #44
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

theres a nice network of dojo down the east coast of australia, which is pretty much a backpacker route as well. much to see and do and often a floor to crash on as well

Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #45
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Somewhere there is a dead uke stinking up a dojo....
Lol... You're pretty morbid. But yeah, he must have gone to Canada and met szczepan.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #46
NagaBaba

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Lol... You're pretty morbid. But yeah, he must have gone to Canada and met szczepan.
nah, he would be frozen in this case....
Actually he died because was uninformed, closed mind and didn't have aiki.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #47
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

What a great idea!!!

Should you visit Hawaii please feel free to visit our dojo (Gary goes to the same). If you decide to visit another island we can help you find the other dojos also. We can help provide you with information on places to stay and landmarks to visit.

Hawaii is a great place for Aikido as many first and second generation people are still practicing and teaching here.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #48
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
theres a nice network of dojo down the east coast of australia, which is pretty much a backpacker route as well. much to see and do and often a floor to crash on as well
Hi Daniel,

The Ki Federation of GB has a dojo in Brisbane, so it is definitely on my list of places to go. I will look forward to coming to see you, when I get there.

regards

Mark

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #49
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
The smallest (and slowest, and most stunningly scenic, and in some places, quite scary) one to try for a similar route would be Highway 1.
Hi Tarik,

I just checked the atlas, and realise that I was on Highway 1 as well as 101, I agree it is great road for scenery and you don't want to be anywhere fast. I remember sitting for hours, somewhere south of Monterey (I think) while a mudslide was being cleared.

regards,

Mark
p.s. if there are any aikido dojos located on H1 that would be a bonus

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #50
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Mark,

Highway 1 runs MOST of the length of California and is also known by various other local names such as "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Coast Highway". There certainly are dojo along Highway 1, or at least just a few blocks away, depending what city or town you're in. Highway 101 is usually a much faster drive and you've already experienced Interstate 5 - a long boring trip in most cases. Parallel to Interstate 5 are Highway 99 and Highway 395. In central California 99 runs through the middle of many cities and towns most of the way, while 395 runs along the eastern edge of California. Both are more scenic and slower than Interstate 5. I make frequent drives the length of California and often take 5 North and 99 South for variety.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."