Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Robert Broyles

Dojo: International Budo Ryokukai
United_States
Ai symbol Looking for a honest opinion

Hello All.... I would like some feedback from others on our Aikido class video.
This is not a "teaching" video, this is just to show folks what we do in class. I recorded many hours of class and put together this short video.
Let it all download before you start to watch it. Works better!
www.ryokukai.com/video/brian.mpg

Is there any similarities to your class and mine?

Any comments will be appreciated and respected.

Hope you like it!

In Harmony

R.B
Old 02-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States
Re: Looking for a honest opinion

Hi Robert,

First of all, great video! I really enjoyed seeing your dojo and looking for new things. One thing I liked and never saw before was that entry into sankyo toward the end of the video. I've never seen a more awkward uke. I'd like to practice that some time.

Regarding the song credits: It's Enigma- Carly's Song (some remix of it) and not Enya. The role of music is interesting. While I was searching for a new dojo, I found two sites. One's demo had Metallica as a score and the other had shakuhachi flute music. The techniques were pretty much the same but the music made one feel like a relaxing atmosphere and the other made me ready for battle.

The video was fun. I felt that some of the moments could've been edited a little shorter. I don't have any specifics but i got this feeling more toward the end than the beginning. I'm not sure if your audience is the internet, visitors in the dojo lobby, spectators at demonstrations, etc. Most of the online demo videos I've seen are shorter. Of course the production level of yours was pretty high so I didn't mind it being lengthier.

Well, that's my two yen (remember the exchange rate. Two yen is not worth as much as two cents).
Jory

Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's proper to refer to the teacher as both Shihan and Sensei. It's usually one or the other. You have Katsumi Niikura Shihan Sensei. That just doesn't sound or look correct.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

That was really fun to watch! Thanks for sharing it, Robert.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Nice video.

Found a couple of small typos.

1) On the screen that says: "O'Sensei is considered the greatest martial artisit in history..." I believe it should be O-Sensei and not O'Sensei. Whenever I see it with an apostrophe it always make me think of O'Sensei as the great teaching leprechaun

2) I'm guessing the screen that says: "has accored his legenday status." Is supposed to say accorded instead of accored.

I think Steven is right about doubling up on the Shihan/Sensei thing.

I'd also agree with Jory that some of the segments may be a tad long.

Overall a nice video, you did a goo job with it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Couldn't view it at work as the system blocked it, but comments on a couple of posts. Definately don't combine sensei and shihan together. One or the other, shihan reserved for those 6th dan or higher.

O Sensei has no other character between the word O and the word sensei, it's not apostrphied, nor is it hyphenated, it's the romaji spelling of two Japanese words.

I'll try have a look at it when I get home

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Having done a little video work, I know just how difficult it can be to get a professional feel. I think you've done a fantastic job here though. Overall I really enjoyed it and thought it really gave an insight into the aikido you are doing (which seemed impressive). Main comments are:

1. techniques well performed (on the whole)
2. timing of the introductory text is good
3. I like the way you divided it into sections
4. There seems to be a heavy judo influence in places (never saw Ueshiba do a sacrifice throw, though I do them a fair bit myself in aikido!)
5. In the hanmi-handachi randori with woman, there is someone who stands in front of the camera for ages, obscuring the techniques. Either cut or this to last bit or remove section completely.
6. A tea ceremony on the mat seemed a bit bizzare. Not sure if this is really part of aikido; health and safety wouldn't allow boiling water in our dojo! Maybe have a tea ceremony in a different setting/some one on one interviews or some training outside?
7. I don't like the reference to Ueshiba as 'the greatest martial artist in history'. Surely this would go down to Minamoto Musashi? I think it automatically suggests to other martial artists that we are unware of the developments in other peoples martial arts. Instead you could say that he was the only person in a non sword martial art to earn the purple ribbon (highest award for contribution to martial arts) - look on aikifaqs for info on this. Alternatively, use some other, factual and non-subjective information.

However, all in all, I think you should be extremely pleased with this production. It's better than some footage I've seen on commercial martial ats videos.

P.S. (I didn't have the sound on)

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

I really enjoyed the video and agreed with Ian on the one segment with the woman where there was a section that she was blocked by people in front of the camera that was annoying.

I also agree that the statement in the beginng that O Sensei is the greatest martial artist in history is subjective and possibly inflamatory. I would change that as well.

Great work though, and definitely something to be proud of.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Robert Broyles

United_States

Quote:
Hi Robert,

First of all, great video! I really enjoyed seeing your dojo and looking for new things. One thing I liked and never saw before was that entry into sankyo toward the end of the video. I've never seen a more awkward uke. I'd like to practice that some time.

Regarding the song credits: It's Enigma- Carly's Song (some remix of it) and not Enya. The role of music is interesting. While I was searching for a new dojo, I found two sites. One's demo had Metallica as a score and the other had shakuhachi flute music. The techniques were pretty much the same but the music made one feel like a relaxing atmosphere and the other made me ready for battle.

The video was fun. I felt that some of the moments could've been edited a little shorter. I don't have any specifics but i got this feeling more toward the end than the beginning. I'm not sure if your audience is the internet, visitors in the dojo lobby, spectators at demonstrations, etc. Most of the online demo videos I've seen are shorter. Of course the production level of yours was pretty high so I didn't mind it being lengthier.

Well, that's my two yen (remember the exchange rate. Two yen is not worth as much as two cents).
Jory
Jory, Thank you for watching the video and giving me your take on it. Im for sure it is a remix of Enya! I know its a little long but i wanted to use the whole song I chose.

Respectfully RB

Last edited by Robert Broyles : 02-27-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Robert Broyles

United_States

Quote:
I really enjoyed the video and agreed with Ian on the one segment with the woman where there was a section that she was blocked by people in front of the camera that was annoying.

I also agree that the statement in the beginng that O Sensei is the greatest martial artist in history is subjective and possibly inflamatory. I would change that as well.

Great work though, and definitely something to be proud of.
Thank you Mike for the review. All my video footage was recorded on a tripod so I could not miss class. So people would stand in front of the camera blocking good shots. (Bummer) Next video I want to hold the cam at all times, to avoid that problem.

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Robert Broyles

United_States

Ian , Thank you for the input. I appreciate it, I am a amateur at best. The cam was on a tripod most of filming. But I'm happy that you enjoyed it in the most part.

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Robert Broyles

United_States

Thank you for the Correction.

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Robert Broyles

United_States
Thumbs down Re: Looking for a honest opinion

Thank you All for the Positive feedback!! The next video will be twice as good!!

All the input was very helpful!!!!!! Keep it comming!!!!

Aikiweb is the best!!

Respectfully RB

Last edited by Robert Broyles : 02-27-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Robert Broyles

United_States

The tea ceremony was just a cultural thing I added to fill space. I thought it added a little flavor to the video. What a cool experience that was. I guess you really had to be there.

Thank you!
Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
Robert Broyles

United_States

Thanks Bronson for the review! Typos are the story of my life!! LOL

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
Robert Broyles

United_States

Thank you Karen for watching it!

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #17
Robert Broyles

United_States

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's proper to refer to the teacher as both Shihan and Sensei. It's usually one or the other. You have Katsumi Niikura Shihan Sensei. That just doesn't sound or look correct.
Thank you Steve. I will have to make that correction.

Respectfully RB
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #18
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Robert Broyles wrote:
Any comments will be appreciated and respected. Hope you like it! R.B
The part where the female tori does the ground dodging and the sutemi (sacrifice throw) are brilliant. I only wish I can use them as freely as she does. Good show overall.

I guess, aiki-newaza would look something like this.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #19
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

Hi Robert, check your PM inbox.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #20
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
7. I don't like the reference to Ueshiba as 'the greatest martial artist in history'. Surely this would go down to Minamoto Musashi?
That'll be Miyamoto Musashi

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"