Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
darin
public liability and personal indemnity

My school's dojo is in a PCYC (like a YMCA) which says that their insurance covers us for everything but I am not too sure about this. So I am now considering getting public liablity and personal indemnity just in case someone has a serious injury. I think at the moment all we have is a waiver that students sign but I don't think its enough. I know a few instructors here have their own schools? What do you advise? Any aiki lawyers out there?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
darin
Re: public liability and personal indemnity

Sorry. Should be a full stop after schools not a question mark. What! its almost 2am here... better get to bed. Got an early class in the morning.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Not sure what the laws are in your neck of the world, but it seems to me that a little personal liability protection is a good investment for your future and the future of the school. I would be inclined to call around for some premium quotes.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Huker
Canada

It might also scare off potential members. It is possible to run a dojo safely without serious injury. There are pros and cons, I suppose. My dojo doesn't make us sign any waiver or anything.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #5
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Personla and public liability is a must in the UK. There have been a few cases of people suing for personal injury (none of which were successful) and the lawyers tab etc. is picked up by the insurer. As here (like everywhere else) lawyers fees are high so it's worth having the insurance for that alone.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Tanner Hukezalie wrote:
It might also scare off potential members. It is possible to run a dojo safely without serious injury. There are pros and cons, I suppose. My dojo doesn't make us sign any waiver or anything.
Where I train we all sign waivers when we join and my sensei has insurance for the dojo. New members pay a $25 fee to help cover insurance and each year we pay annual dues (part goes for the USAF fee and the other part is for insurance). This practice hasn't run anyone away from our dojo. (I help register students in the dojo and I have yet to meet someone who said they wouldn't join because they have to sign a waiver and pay a registration fee covering insurance.)

Accidents do happen and people do get hurt, and having insurance is a good way to protect a dojo from liability. It really is a must and if a school doesn't have waivers and insurance then they really are running a big risk.

Last edited by giriasis : 03-23-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
darin

Should students have their own insurance? I heard some schools require students to have their own insurance or use one provided by the school. I too as an insructor should have some kind of insurance in case I get hurt and cannot work.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Justin Gaar
Dojo: Aikido Academy Of Self Defense
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: public liability and personal indemnity

Theres always the looming that someone can get hurt. Aikido practice between uke and nage may be controlled at cooperative but everyone makes mistakes. Insurance would be a good idea

If you arrest a mime, do you have tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Darin Hyde wrote:
My school's dojo is in a PCYC (like a YMCA) which says that their insurance covers us for everything but I am not too sure about this. So I am now considering getting public liablity and personal indemnity just in case someone has a serious injury. I think at the moment all we have is a waiver that students sign but I don't think its enough. I know a few instructors here have their own schools? What do you advise? Any aiki lawyers out there?
You need to get a copy of the school's insurance policy. Read the policy and have someone who knows insurance, read it. When you understand your present situation, you can then make an intelligent decision. You don't want to be over insured (waste of money) or under insured (open for liability).

Usually a large organization will be adequately insured. However you may discover their general policy does not cover a specific area you might want.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You