Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2000, 09:10 PM   #1
Orange
"Orange"
IP Hash: 2270bc0e
Anonymous User
Since Aikido is such a rich martial art, I'm sure there are many things that people can get out of it. I am curious what are some of the goals people have for thier Aikido?

I am hoping that Aikido will help me to learn to adapt and make split-second decisions without pausing and thinking about it. I forget what it is called but occasionaly we practice where uke attacks with a specific attack and nage gets to choose any technique. I tend to freeze when forced to decide what to do. I have this problem outside of the dojo too (light turns yellow, do I speed up or stop? I usually brake, accelerate, break, accelerate, etc.) so I am hoping to learn this from Aikido and apply it outside the dojo.

Does anyone else have tangible goals like this that they want to get from thier aikido?
Old 07-08-2000, 10:00 PM   #2
dbgard
Dojo: FSU Aikido Club
Lightbulb garbage in, garbage out

Referring to the post above, I think Aikido actually has helped with my chaotic traffic light behavior as well. I never had too much of a problem with the yellow light hesitate-or-take-'em-off-the-dribble thing, but this serves as a great example. When I started Aikido, I also began a time of self-discovery, reading and metitating in parks, archaelogical sites, and what-not. Being able to bring a clear mind into the dojo (good stuff in) I feel helps me walk out of the dojo with (better stuff out). Sometimes leaving the dojo I actually feel like I'm walking on air (of course part of that is the cigarette I light up hahaha.) No, but seriously, Aikido is medicine for my brain, and it trains to refrain from pain and keeps me sane let the moon wax and wane. OK I'll stop!!

Love,
Drew

hara-kiri for the fear-mongers,
sushi-waza for the peace-makers.

--The great dream shared among my friends--

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no
Old 07-11-2000, 01:44 AM   #3
einx
Dojo: aikikai beersheva
Smile

Quote:
... what are some of the goals people have for their Aikido?
Since I began to practice aikido I've seen a lot of changes in my daily life.

*. I dance salsa in a better way. It doesnt mean I do dance salsa, but I care less about how I dance, and I feel I move easier.

*. when somebody scream at me, or I am facing a dangerous situation, instead of screaming back or putting all my muscles ready to break a nose, I relax and smile.

*. I walk slower and have time to enjoy nature surrounding me.

*. And when I lived in Cuba I noticed that I was able to do a lot of things easier and faster. for instance, climbing the trucks used for public transportation or entering a bus with capacity for 80 people while 300 were trying to enter. (and no other buses in the next two hours)

*. Aikido also helped me a lot when I had to lead a group of teenagers in a summer camp, and they tought they were kind of power rangers using ninja techniques.

In general, with every thing I do, I feel there is an aiki way to accomplish the task.

Etn