Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 8, 2004:

How important is "faith" in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
I have "faith" in Aikido. I have "faith" in O'Sensei and my Sensei. I have "faith" in my training community. I have "faith" that I can do this.

"Faith" is very important.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
What do you mean by faith? I don't think you mean the religious kind of faith, or blind faith, but I could be wrong. Do you mean, you believe this stuff works out blindly without thinking about it and finding it out for yourself, or something else? It seems like a broad term that many people could interpret differently.

The very question of faith in aikido training doesn't even make sense to me, but maybe that is because I'm a beginner.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 02-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
can you rephrase the question?

Hello Jun,

I don't understand what you mean in this question; can you possibly either explain what you mean or rephrase the question?

Thanks, Rachel
Old 02-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
Jamie Stokes
Dojo: Kenkyu Kai
Hi Guys,

I interpreted this as "Religious faith".

having been dissatisfied with Christianity since I was nine, Aikido has largely replaced it. With trappings from other beliefs that I steal and use as I best see fit ie Zen.

I still have a healthy respect for religions, but like everything else in the human sphere, is open to both brilliance and perversion ( and all shades in between)

So, I use my "religion" to polish myself. Thats hard enough, let alone start trying to change the world.

Cheers,

Jamie

PS: I think this is a good question. you have to think about the question as well as the answer.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
There are a lot of ways you could interpret the question, so the most logical way to go about answering it is to find out the intentions of the person asking the question.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
I interpret it as "faith I won't break my neck during my latest attempt at a high fall."

Jeanne
Old 02-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Lots of faith in your partner ie: that the limits will be adhered to....

My interpretation, so a lot in this context.

Religous faith?...umm no

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 AM   #9
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Being of the non-native english speaker persuasion the complete meanings and implications of the word faith are not clear to me.

I do trust my teacher and my trainingspartners. I believe in me and I am convinced of the humanity of o sensei.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 AM   #10
shihonage
United_States
If you do not believe in Jesus, then Mel Gibson will come to your house and personally kick your ass.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:17 AM   #11
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
As a student of religions, this is how I interpreted the question.

Aikido is a spiritual path and process. Do you have faith that this path leads towards spiritual realization/enlightenment/maturity?

I don't think it can be a question of theistic faith(relating to god/God/gods), but as means of spiritual development, sure.

--Amelia
Old 02-09-2004, 07:07 AM   #12
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
I'm not sure what this question is asking either, but....

if we mean faith as in trust, then I think trust is very important in aikido, trust in our partners, trust in our sensei, etc...

but if we mean faith as in religious faith, then I don't think that it has anything to do with it. Aikido can be practiced without regard to western or eastern orthodoxy (or orthopraxy for Islam). I can be atheistic, agnostic, or believe in my "taco bell burrito god", and still practice aikido just the same.

Last edited by Chad Sloman : 02-09-2004 at 07:12 AM.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #13
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States
Interesting that this question follows on the heels of whether Uke is ever "wrong". The most pertinent response to that question suggested that "right & wrong" in Aikido is likely related to whether there is injury in practice or not. Morality is therefore dependent upon whether the "result" is intentional or not. However faith might be the belief that whatever happens will always be "right" and never "wrong" result.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #14
Ted Marr
Faith is something I need to make a technique work sometimes, but never something I can afford to rely on. When I don't believe that a technique can/should work the way my teacher shows it, it doesn't work very well until I stop doubting and sincerely try it without reservations. At the same time, faith can blind you to problems with your technical execution, so often enough it's good not to have it. Doubt yourself constantly! Doubt your teacher! Question it all!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #15
DanD
Smile

I don't have "faith" in it...Aikido is simply not my religion.... "trust" it to work though.... is this question out of track??
Old 02-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
AsimHanif
Something tells me Jun is being intentionally vague.

But since it doesn't say "how important is YOUR faith" I will interpret it as faith in what I am practicing.

The only faith I have is that if I keep training, certain things will be revealed to me. But that's faith based on experience which to me is really trust. I only trust based on history. I'm from the "show and prove" school. Prove it and I'll believe it. So in a general sense I have faith in the value of aikido training based on experience. Regarding individual aspects or interpretations of the art that I have not yet experienced or mastered, time will tell.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #17
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
If Jun IS being vague, then that means any and ALL interpretations are correct and thus... this poll serves only one purpose: to spark a good dialogue!
Quote:
How important is "faith" in your aikido training?
Faith in my religious beliefs are often times touched by my training. Through training in aikido two years, I believe I now know what O'Sensei meant by becoming "one with the universe," though that doesn't mean I've achieved it or even tried to.

Faith is my instructor or sempai (teammates? I think that's the word) is more Trust than faith. I trust them all very well. It's trusting in my own ability that I need to work on more than anything.

Faith in the technique and physical dynamics of aikido goes without question in my mind. How many times do you need to see someone thrown into kotegeishi before you get that it is effective??? Duh!

So... take it as you will. I have many answers to chose from. Still, I'd like to hear from Jun on this one.

/poke Jun

/bonk Jun

/taps my foot in Jun's general direction

/taunts Jun a second time!!

Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #18
Doka
NO! Faith has nothing to do with a physical activity!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #19
Doka
Quote:
Robert Coit (rcoit) wrote:
Interesting that this question follows on the heels of whether Uke is ever "wrong". The most pertinent response to that question suggested that "right & wrong" in Aikido is likely related to whether there is injury in practice or not.
No, it is not about the result, but the intent! IE: The difference between (1)murder and (2)manslaughter!

(1) I meant to throw you hard and hurt you!

(2) I meant to throw you hard, but not hurt you!

Peace!

Last edited by Doka : 02-09-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #20
Doka
Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
/poke Jun

/bonk Jun
If I were Jun I would be worried!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #21
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
If you mean faith in a religious sense, then personally it has no meaning at all.

One of the reasons I like Yoshinkan is that when I was first looking to start training, it was the only dojo I found that didn't spend half the class doing ki exercises or sitting around while Sensei read bits of books to people & discussed it.

I was there to train, not sit around & talk about training... lol

As for faith in the techniques themselves, I think you have to have faith in them. When you doubt your technique, you start to tense up & do unconsciously doing little things that cause your technique to fall to bits totally. It seems like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 AM   #22
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Quote:
There are two kinds of faith, … Like Freedom there is the kind which is easily kept but proves not worth the keeping, and there is a kind which is hard-won."
Michael Moorcock

I think Aikido depends very much on the latter.

In one case, as one begins to progress in the Way, one must begin to do a lot of "soul-searching" on the meaning of harmony, love and what is the true meaning of the art of peace, and the answer is different and personal for every artist.

In another case, I'm sure there are a lot of scholars (religious and secular) on this board who are more better equip to explain how's one faith, disposition, intent, has an effect on involuntary muscular tension, posture, and demeanor. All of which have an effect on one's performance.

Lastly, one's faith, perceptual filters, has a strong influence in how we as individuals relate to the world, and interact with our partners.

For myself all of these things make up one's faith, whether it is in Science, Allah or the Tao.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #23
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Yeah tho I shikko through the valley of hakama I shall fear no atemi, for I am the biggest baddest hara in the land…

There really are some interesting answers on this one, I just can't help being reminded of the "is aikido a cult" thread. As for trusting senseis, this is meant as a joke yes? Trusting their teaching, ok, within reason, but trust the little darlings...
Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #24
SeiserL

United_States
Webster says, faith: 1. confidence or trust in a person or thing. 2. belief that is not based on proof.

According to 1, my answer stands that I have faith in Aikido, my Sensei, my training partners, and myself.

According to 2, I have no faith. I have proof.

IMHO, faith in each other is spiritual though it may not qualify for religious.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #25
Maria Isabel Martins
Could you please explain me what does "faith" mean? Is it different from faith with no comas? Or from Faith with a capital F? Does this question makes sense or we just have to have "faith" in it?