Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Olympics to chuck out wrestling?

Looks like the IOC wants to chuck wrestling out of the Olympics. I can't think of a sport that is MORE suited to the Olympics than wrestling. What the hell are they thinking!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Olympics to chuck out wrestling?

Quote:
The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission that analyzed 39 criteria, including TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board was also subject to political, emotional and sentimental factors.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestlin...-2020-olympics

Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

The sad fact is that the world wrestling bodies did not engage in the behind-the-scenes bribe bazaar that fueled this committees decisions. The wrestling bodies did not feel that one of the the oldest, original Olympic sports stood any chance, whatsoever, of being scrapped. The IOC has been identified many times as a craven and corrupt entity. This decision confirms the obvious..

As an old wrestler, I am beyond disgusted.......

Marc Abrams
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
The sad fact is that the world wrestling bodies did not engage in the behind-the-scenes bribe bazaar that fueled this committees decisions. The wrestling bodies did not feel that one of the the oldest, original Olympic sports stood any chance, whatsoever, of being scrapped. The IOC has been identified many times as a craven and corrupt entity. This decision confirms the obvious..

As an old wrestler, I am beyond disgusted.......

Marc Abrams
Indeed. The favourite to be dropped was the modern pentathlon which was made up by Arthur Conan Doyle and has a good chance of becoming a widespread sport the moment everyone on the planet manages to own a horse, a rifle and take fencing lessons. However, Juan Samaranch's son just happens to be the president of the pentathlon organisation!

Wrestling isn't just an ancient Greek sport, it's an ancient sport of humanity. It's also surely one of the most widely practiced sports, at least more than field hockey and synchronised swimming. And olympic golf??? Doesn't Tiger Woods have enough gold already?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Cady Goldfield
United_States

The Olympics are such a corrupt fiasco that I can't take them seriously. It's not about cultural richness or being an ancient sport of humanity, it's about power, lucre, avarice and ego of those governing and funding the Olympics and particular sports. It cheapens the dedication of the athletes themselves, who become pawns and "product."
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Maybe this decision is going to make wrestling popular again. Anyone and everyone I talk to - they don't know wrestling - but they all agree that the IOC have just made their stupidest decision. Ask your friends - see what they say.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Well, the decision was just so wrong, on so many levels, that even people who aren't avid followers of wrestling can see the absurdity to the IOC "secret ballot." I'm not sure that the publicity will make wrestling more popular, but maybe this incident will raise awareness of how sports are included in or excluded from the Olympics.

In other news, I can't help but notice that women's beach volleyball does not seem to be in any danger of getting axed, in the near or distant future...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

They should be voting on the replacement sport for 2020. I think its karate, wushu, baseball/softball, sport climbing, and maybe curling in consideration.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Greco-Roman wrestling will be able to put in for consideration as a "replacement" sport for 2020. It just has to get in line with seven other sports vying for that spot -- karate, wushu, wakeboarding(!), squash, roller sports (Olympic Roller Derby, anyone?), sport climbing/rock climbing and baseball/softball (they were booted previously for drugging issues).
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Hang on, the 'wrestling' that's done at the Olympics is just some silly puffy French style isn't it?
Heck if it was PROPER wrestling I'd be all gung-ho about it.
Personally every time I watch some Olympic Wrestling I'm embarrassed at how anyone can call that hideous abomination 'wrestling'.

I'll get me coat ...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

There is a push to get Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the Olympics, but I am not sure it will happen. As the 2016 olympics is in Brazil, there was an effort to get it as an exhibition sport at the same time as the Olympics, but IMO, it is not going to happen any time soon seeing as how there is no real legitimate international governing body.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Hang on, the 'wrestling' that's done at the Olympics is just some silly puffy French style isn't it?
Heck if it was PROPER wrestling I'd be all gung-ho about it.
Personally every time I watch some Olympic Wrestling I'm embarrassed at how anyone can call that hideous abomination 'wrestling'.

I'll get me coat ...
The travesty that is Olympic "taekwondo" is faaaarrrr worse. And yet, it lives.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I haven't looked at AikiWeb in a week or so and this is the first thing I see!

I'm disgusted.

This just goes to show the direction the Olympics have been heading in for some time now.

I saw TV ratings mentioned. The funny thing is that wrestling is one of the only sports I want to watch in the Olympics, but they show it at the worst possible times. How many viewers can you get at 3:38 am?

If I were in charge (and I'm 100% certain that I never will happen) the Olympics would be pared down to track & field; wrestling, both Greco-Roman and free-style; boxing; mma; a traditional display of gymnastics, including rope climbing; weight lifting; and swimming.

There are many other great sports, games, and activities. Many that I enjoy.

None belong in the Olympics.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Modern greco-roman wrestling is joke. This might be a good thing.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Aikeway
Australia

I just hope that BJJ never gets included in the Olympics. They will water it down so much that it will also become a joke. The Olympics has stuffed judo and look how ridiculous Taekwondo has become!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

The modern olympics of today is to the international-goodwill-games that I grew up with as the Startrek reboot is to TOS. They're going to have synchronized swimming, but not wrestling? Come on.

People who won medals from decades ago probably say things like, 'I won an Olympic medal back when it meant something.'
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Daniel Wilson wrote: View Post
I just hope that BJJ never gets included in the Olympics. They will water it down so much that it will also become a joke. The Olympics has stuffed judo and look how ridiculous Taekwondo has become!
To be fair: WTF Taekwondo looked like that before it became an official olympic sport.
FILA actually has a grappling division that includes both gi/nogi, since BJJ lacks a proper international organisation itīs rather FILA grappling that can make it into the olympics.