Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Suwariwazaman
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati
United_States
Smile Anyone Ever Seen M. Saito In Person

I didnt want to steel a thread so I created this new one. Has anyone ever seen Moritei Saito in person. I received this video of him in a demonstration video. It was amazing. It was awesome, In it he demonstrated kumitachi, and several take aways. Any thoughts.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Suwariwazaman
United_States
Unhappy Re: Anyone Ever Seen M. Saito In Person

Sorry I meant Morihiro Saito Sensei? I apologize for misspelling name.!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
Suwariwazaman
United_States
Re: Iwama Ryu Bokken

Has anyone or do you know anyone that has seen Saito Sensei in person. Just wondering! Any Senior Sempai, or Instructors? If so what was he like. And pardon my ignorance, but I have a video with him using such a bokken, so it looks like. I have several bokkens, Is there any way to tell or is this the style he uses. The takeaways are just amazing. Perfectly executed kumitachi. Using many techniques I recognize empty hand. It is just amazing!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Has anyone or do you know anyone that has seen Saito Sensei in person. Just wondering! Any Senior Sempai, or Instructors? If so what was he like.
If you are referring to Saito Morihiro, and not his son Hirohito, my instructor was a student of his. From what I understand he was a strict teacher with a great sense of humor.

Quote:
And pardon my ignorance, but I have a video with him using such a bokken, so it looks like. I have several bokkens, Is there any way to tell or is this the style he uses. The takeaways are just amazing. Perfectly executed kumitachi. Using many techniques I recognize empty hand. It is just amazing!
The "Iwama Ryu" bokken is quite thick, with a rounded "edge", and no tip: the end of the sword terminates in a squared cut. It's also on the heavy side for bokken.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Suwariwazaman
United_States

Thanks for the response. I hope I can meet him someday at a seminar. Well I dont think I have one of those Iwama Ryu Bokken. Mine are all pointed, however are they made that way because I have several that are on the heavy side.

That is awesome your instructor was his sensei. You have a great sensei also then. Anyone that was trained by him has to be awesome. The Doshu is awesome too. I looked at the pictures in the image gallery. He looks very young, some of those look like they hurt. Wow! I hope I get to meet him someday too, take ukemi or something.
I have some footage of him demonstrating Kumitachi 1-5 it is great
Old 05-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Thanks for the response. I hope I can meet him someday at a seminar. Well I dont think I have one of those Iwama Ryu Bokken. Mine are all pointed, however are they made that way because I have several that are on the heavy side.

That is awesome your instructor was his sensei. You have a great sensei also then. Anyone that was trained by him has to be awesome. The Doshu is awesome too. I looked at the pictures in the image gallery. He looks very young, some of those look like they hurt. Wow! I hope I get to meet him someday too, take ukemi or something.
I have some footage of him demonstrating Kumitachi 1-5 it is great
Unfortunately, Saito sensei died in 2002.

My instructor is certainly good, but there are a lot of teachers out there who were taught by Saito sensei. I'm sure someone here at AikiWeb has learned directly from him.

Josh Reyer

- Chaucer
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Suwariwazaman
United_States

Domo Arigatoagashimas Saito Sensei for all he has done. See I have been out of the loop for a few years. My heart goes out to his family. I am very saddened by that.

Yes there probably is someone on here that has been taught by him or his son. I hope I get the honor to meet his son or someone taught by him someday. My sensei takes direct guidance from Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei. I believe he was taught by either Morihiro Ueshiba Doshu or O Sensei himself. I am not sure exactly so dont quote me on that.

I came across some video footage of Saito Sensei from the 1950's BlackandWhite of course but it sparked my training again. I should never stopped training, but I moved from Cincinnati to Chicago for a while, and couldnt train because of my schedule. Now I am back in Cincinnati and have gone back to train. I know excuses excuses lol, but the upside is I am training again. Thanks for the info. again.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Dejan Bogicevic
Dojo: Gothenborg Aikido Clubb
Sweden
Re: Anyone Ever Seen M. Saito In Person

Hi
My name is Dejan and I am leaving in Sweden. Originally I am coming from Serbia (situated in old yugoslavija)
I have been training for Saito Sensei in seminars that he had in Danmark. If ther is enything You want to know more about Him let me know
My e-mail adress: bogicevicdejan@hotmail.com
Keep a good spirit
Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Yes there probably is someone on here that has been taught by him or his son. I hope I get the honor to meet his son or someone taught by him someday. My sensei takes direct guidance from Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei. I believe he was taught by either Morihiro Ueshiba Doshu or O Sensei himself. I am not sure exactly so dont quote me on that.
Yamada Yoshimitsu was at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo while Ueshiba Morihei (Osensei) was alive, although at the time Tohei Koichi and Ueshiba Kisshomaru were responsible for the majority of the instruction there.

FYI, there was never a "Morihiro Ueshiba" active in aikido. It goes

Ueshiba Morihei - the Founder
Ueshiba Kisshomaru - his son, the 2nd Doshu
Ueshiba Moriteru - Kisshomaru's son, the current Doshu.

Josh Reyer

- Chaucer
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
Suwariwazaman
United_States

Sorry about that spelling I just realized I have 2 left hands...OOOPS Didn't mean to misspell his name Osensei's that is! I knew Yamada Sensei was there but the reason I asked about Saito Sensei is I have some video footage of him doing Tachi-Dori and some variation take-aways. I was wondering was he as fast in person as the video makes me believe. Awesome!!! Thanks again Jamie
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 AM   #11
Takao Hattori
Dojo: Shunyoukai/Yokosuka
Japan

I met Morihiro Saito sensei at Iwama dojo twice when he was alive.
Saito sensei explained technique to me,pointing O sensei's photos in the dojo.
And he took me some waza .He said to me " If you see my waza,you guess to be forced. However now do you feel to my waza." " So smooth " I said to him. I enjoyed drinking with Morihiro Saito sensei Sunday afternoon at dojo's kitchen. I believe he is one of Great Aikidoka.

http://www.geocities.jp/yokosuka111/
Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
Adrian Smith

Quote:
Takao Hattori wrote:
" If you see my waza,you guess to be forced. However now do you feel to my waza." " So smooth " I said to him.
Saito Hirohito Sensei has a wonderful fluid style. He chose to leave Aikikai in late 2003 because of the politics and the rigid, muscular style of the school with which his dojo was affiliated. Hattori-san, Ihaving seen your style, I assume you're happy with your affiliation.

-drin
Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #13
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

I believe it is "Hitohiro Saito", not "Hirohito".

Emperor Showa (Hirohito) was the father of the present Emperor Akihito
Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
Adrian Smith

Quote:
Cito Maramba wrote:
I believe it is "Hitohiro Saito", not "Hirohito".

Emperor Showa (Hirohito) was the father of the present Emperor Akihito.
You are partially correct. I transposed the two letters. It is indeed 'Hitohiro'. However, Japanese custom calls for the surname to be given first, making his name 'Saito Hitohiro', not 'Hitohiro Saito'.

Thank you too for the history lesson. I've been living in Japan for four years now and no-one ever thought to tell me the Showa Emperor's name.

Just for the record, a reigning Emperor would never be referred to NEVER referred to as 'Showa <name>'. The Showa Emperor's given name was 'Hirohito', and during his life he was referred to as 'Tenno', meaning 'Emperor'. At the time of his ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne the new era was named ' Showa', meaning 'Enlightened Peace'. He was not named 'Showa' until after his death in 1989, and at that time he was formally named 'Showa Tenno', meaning 'Emperor of Enlightened Peace', somewhat ironically.

The current Emperor's reign is known as 'Heisei', meaning 'Achieving Peace'. Upon his death he will be renamed 'Heisei Tenno'.

-drin
Old 06-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Takao Hattori
Japan

Jamie san,
Have you met me ? In 1989 I enjoyed Aikido at Cincinnati.
How is McGinnis sensei ?
At that time,I saw one lady practice by Iwama style.

Please see Friend in Overseas in below website.
http://www.geocities.jp/yokosuka111/

Re.Saito sensei
When I told him that after I had got Three dan at Yoshinkan ,I moved to Aikikai,Saito sensei told me as following.
He respects Shioda Gozo sensei as Sempai.As Shioda Gozo sensei lived Iwama dojo after second war,they practiced Aikido together. When Saito Morihiro sensei issued Aikido book,Saito sensei appreciated that Shioda sensei wrote recommendation letter for Saito sensei.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #16
Takao Hattori
Japan

Quote:
Adrian Smith wrote:
Saito Hirohito Sensei has a wonderful fluid style. He chose to leave Aikikai in late 2003 because of the politics and the rigid, muscular style of the school with which his dojo was affiliated. Hattori-san, Ihaving seen your style, I assume you're happy with your affiliation.

-drin
Hi,Adrian san
Many thanks ,I am happy with my affiliation.
I started Aikido from Yoshinkan style,ShinshinToitsu and Nishio style. I thank for Aikikai to have accepted me as Aikidoka.
Now I can communicate with Doshu Ueshiba Moriteru sensei.

Do you know Kaisho, Gyosho,Sosho in Shodo.
Saito sensei suggested me to come often Iwama to learn Kaisho of Aikido.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #17
Suwariwazaman
United_States

Takao San, McGinnis Sensei is doing well. He just celebrated his 30th anniversary in Aikido. I do not remember you, since I originally joined Aikido in 1991. I had been out for a while, but recently started back.

This is his son, right you speak of. I hope I get to attend a seminar with him someday.

Regards Jamie
Old 06-26-2006, 12:21 AM   #18
Takao Hattori
Japan

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Takao San, McGinnis Sensei is doing well. He just celebrated his 30th anniversary in Aikido. I do not remember you, since I originally joined Aikido in 1991. I had been out for a while, but recently started back.

This is his son, right you speak of. I hope I get to attend a seminar with him someday.

Regards Jamie

Are you son of McGinnis Sensei ?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #19
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Takao Hattori wrote:
Are you son of McGinnis Sensei ?
No, Hattori-san. Jamie-san is asking you whether you are referring to H Saito (M Saito shihan's son).

Incidentally, you would be in Singapore around July 7 to July 9 for the Aiki Camp organised by Freddy Kwok sensei. Any chance of you coming up to Kuala Lumpur?

Regards

David Y
Old 06-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #20
Takao Hattori
Japan

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
No, Hattori-san. Jamie-san is asking you whether you are referring to H Saito (M Saito shihan's son).

Incidentally, you would be in Singapore around July 7 to July 9 for the Aiki Camp organised by Freddy Kwok sensei. Any chance of you coming up to Kuala Lumpur?

Regards

David Y
After Singapore,I will move to Penang.