Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Just move yourself

I've seen this idea before, and it was recently mentioned here. It combined with another brief conversation I just had about respect, and made think of how important I believe it is to worry less about the errors we perceive in others, and more on perceiving the errors in ourself. Both are needed, but I generally weight the latter as more important.
I do not do this particularly well, but I do believe that it is usually best to avoid the confrontations that can arise between people, by not resisting those pointed corners we encounter in others. At times where I believe I have done this relatively well, I had a strong sense of focusing very heavily on my own process; blending with what I can perceive of the other person's position and posture (e.g. not resisting the "pointy bits," so much as moving past them to the heart of the matter).
Two lessons from my teacher (to the best of my recollection) come to mind:
1. First, do no wrong thing.
2. Aikido is about correcting yourself, not others.

Number one is of course much easier said than done, but to my mind it points to the idea that through sustained focus we can improve our behaviors to the point that they don't create new problems on our path toward reconciliation.

Number two reinforces this principle of not making new problems by pointing to the source of the solutions: self-improvement. To my mind it carries the implication that the correction of others is a byproduct of this process.

Number one is the ideal; number two is the means to approaching the ideal.

People often talk about grass-roots movements when they describe how to make profound change in society. This makes me think of O Sensei's suggestion to first build up yourself, then your home and community, etc. outward; and I think it relates to this basic idea of correcting yourself, of performing misogi activities to remove your own obstructions, to make yourself more potent in the art of reconciliation and creating the win-win situations that, hopefully, bring about a kind of world peace...strong roots bear tasty fruit.
Anyhow, my bit of thinking this morning for your consideration. Any thoughts or corrections would be most welcome!
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Just move yourself

Christopher Li had a very interesting observation he posted in a discussion in Aikido Journal Online. Morihei Ueshiba was referred to as the Invincible Warrior by John Stevens. One kanji that was often translated as "invincible" could be translated as "without enemies." Your post made me think of this.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
Christopher Li had a very interesting observation he posted in a discussion in Aikido Journal Online. Morihei Ueshiba was referred to as the Invincible Warrior by John Stevens. One kanji that was often translated as "invincible" could be translated as "without enemies." Your post made me think of this.
Very cool! I really enjoy Chris's explanations. Thanks for sharing that, John!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
kewms

If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at Saotome Sensei's new book. He talks about these ideas in a fair amount of detail.

In particular, would you describe the calm surface of a mountain lake as "invincible?" Or are the concepts of "victory" and "defeat" simply irrelevant to it?

Katherine
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at Saotome Sensei's new book. He talks about these ideas in a fair amount of detail.

In particular, would you describe the calm surface of a mountain lake as "invincible?" Or are the concepts of "victory" and "defeat" simply irrelevant to it?

Katherine
Thank you, Katherine! I'm looking forward to getting his book! One of his earlier books played a big part in generating my initial interest in Aikido and this one sounds very promising to add to my current interest.
...And I would guess the concepts are irrelevant. Did I win?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
kewms

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Thank you, Katherine! I'm looking forward to getting his book! One of his earlier books played a big part in generating my initial interest in Aikido and this one sounds very promising to add to my current interest.
...And I would guess the concepts are irrelevant. Did I win?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: read Sensei's book.

Katherine
Old 08-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

So what's this book and where can I find it?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
So what's this book and where can I find it?
The Japanese edition came out in 2011 and was published by what used to be Aiki News (Stanley Pranin's Japanese operations). The title is 『伝承のともしび -合氣道開祖 植芝盛平の教え-』. An English translation has been made and the main title is A Light on Transmission. The publisher is the Seattle Book Company.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
jdostie
Dojo: Aikido of Livermore
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
The Japanese edition came out in 2011 and was published by what used to be Aiki News (Stanley Pranin's Japanese operations). The title is 『伝承のともしび -合氣道開祖 植芝盛平の教え-』. An English translation has been made and the main title is A Light on Transmission. The publisher is the Seattle Book Company.

Best wishes,
I just looked that up, here is the link. http://www.seattlebookcompany.com/a-...-transmission/
Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Joseph Dostie wrote: View Post
I just looked that up, here is the link. http://www.seattlebookcompany.com/a-...-transmission/
Thank you. I am aware of the link, having recently ordered the English translation. However, the Japanese original, which I have, came out a few years ago.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
susannescholl
Germany

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
Thank you, John! For real. really interesting observations

Searching for soul soothing things