Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
"Wanderer"
IP Hash: df901a6b
Anonymous User
Aikikai headquarters, tattoos and etiquette

Hello all,

I am a repeat visitor to Japan and am heavily tattooed. I have a full bodysuit... Back, front, sleeves, legs etc.

As a matter of course I cover up with a long sleeved shirt and pants while there. Although the Japanese attitude to tattoos is slowly changing it is still the easiest way to avoid making anyone uncomfortable and to make sure I receive normal service in bars, restaurants and so on.

I have never practiced aikido when in Japan but would like to visit the aikikai headquarters for morning classes.

My question is, does anyone know whether having extensive tattooing is likely to cause a problem?
I understand Japanese attitudes to tattooing in general, I am asking specifically if anyone knows of any rules or guidelines at the hombu such as requiring tattoos be covered by bandages or a long sleeve t shirt or rash guard.

Many thanks for any experience on this.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Aikikai headquarters, tattoos and etiquette

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
My question is, does anyone know whether having extensive tattooing is likely to cause a problem?
I understand Japanese attitudes to tattooing in general, I am asking specifically if anyone knows of any rules or guidelines at the hombu such as requiring tattoos be covered by bandages or a long sleeve t shirt or rash guard.

Many thanks for any experience on this.
I know plenty of folk with visible tattoos (chest, hands, neck) who have trained there with no trouble. The Hombu gets a lot of visitors, including plenty of tattooed foreigners and I've never heard of anyone having to cover up. I don't think you will have any problems training as normal regarding your tattoos.

Regards
Old 10-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
"Wanderer"
IP Hash: fac8ceee
Anonymous User
Thumbs up Re: Aikikai headquarters, tattoos and etiquette

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
I know plenty of folk with visible tattoos (chest, hands, neck) who have trained there with no trouble. The Hombu gets a lot of visitors, including plenty of tattooed foreigners and I've never heard of anyone having to cover up. I don't think you will have any problems training as normal regarding your tattoos.

Regards
That's reassuring to hear - thanks!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan
Re: Aikikai headquarters, tattoos and etiquette

Amusingly, I was in the local Apple Store here and one of the American staff had very visible tattoos on his arms. It only seems to be a problem when going to onsen, swimming pools and gyms where they'll ask you to keep the tattoos covered. It isn't so much that you have a tattoo, but that they want to be able to refuse the "893", which they do via a "no tattoos" rule, as the presence of them would drive away regular customers.