Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
~RIYO~
Dojo: Dragon's Den Martial Arts
United_States
Wink other places

I was wondering, I don't train with alot of people, 1,2,3 at the most.
So what is it like training with a lot of people?Is it harder?Are you more embarassed if you do something wrong?Whats it like?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: other places

Believe me, small classes are where you learn the most. Of course, in larger classes, there is a greater variety of training partners too. Since it is very good to just focus on a few things, a small
class is where that can happen. In gassho.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

You're going to get at least one person suggesting that you go and find out for yourself followed by some dojos in your area to try and the odd seminar.. so be warned.

Simple answer is, it's not really any different if by training with you mean in a dojo setting rather than a seminar/demo. Even the larger dojos normally only hit between 20-40 on the mat at any one time, if you train regularly you'll just see the same faces anyway so the sense of unfamiliarity will go away, which is what I felt you were alluding to.

I'll agree and disagree with Mark concerning learning more. Certainly, you can focus more on what you need with a smaller group and if your training vigorously, it's more tiring (more ukes = more time to catch breath I find). However, I prefer at least a reasonable spread of people to practice with in a night as I believe it allows you a better test of how well you're actually doing to technique(s) - but that's just me.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Probably the biggest advantage in training with a lot of people, like at my school for instance, is that you get a feel for different types of people, you know what I mean? In a bigger school you'll have people of all shapes, sizes, and strength...so...in that sense it would be better than in a smaller school. However...I prefer smaller schools...though one REALLY, REALLLY, REALLLY bad thing that can happen at a small school (which I have experienced mind you) is the "clique" or "cult attitude." This happens when it's only like 5-8 people in a dojo and they're all black belts so they just train and work out and talk with each other so much that when a new student comes in to learn...especially if they have some experience with other arts (after they ask you if you have experience with other arts mind you) they want to talk down to you and they have this really nasty, negative "I don't want to teach you or anyone else that's new" attitude. I had that experience within my OWN dojo!!! My dojo shares Aikido and Judo on tuesdays, thursdays, and Saturdays. They do Tae Kwon Do on Mondays and Wednesdays and Dan Zan Ryu Jujitsu also on Mondays and Wednesdays. It was the Dan Zan Ryu Jujitsu group (which is very small and they're all black belts [as well as the TKD group] ) that I had this negative experience. However...thanks to my faith in Christ, first and foremost, and my limited Aikido training I handled it well.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
dyffcult
United_States

I have trained in dojos that regularly have over forty students a night and ones that average only five. I have also trained where each student has the same partner for the entire night, and ones where you change partners after every technique demonstrated. I have also trained where there are lots of high ranking students and where there are none.

My personal preference is a larger dojo, with lots of high ranking students, where you train with the same partner throughout the whole class. I found that my chances to learn were increased, but I still was able to focus on technique each night without having to learn a new uke each technique. I trained with a wide variety of uke over time, but the chance to focus each night was preferable to me.

However, if it came down to it, I would rather have small classes with a disproportionate number of shodan and higher, than a large class with mainly white belts. Increases the level and intensity of my training...

Brenda
Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

More fun training with a lot of people, it feels great to have that collective buzz on the mat when everyone is excited to be there. I also like the start of term at the uni dojo's when there is like 50 new people there or so. Thats great to be a part of. But its also great to have a higher grade smaller class over the summer, during this time we can really let rip and go for it with the ikkyu's and dan grades. Great grading training!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

It's sweatier. smellier, and more likely you'll have a training accident getting thrown into someone. As a beginner you'll get more conflicting instructions in one training session.

But it's also fun and exciting.