Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Ali Raja

Norway
Practicing Aikido in Japan versues Norway

I find that practicing Aikido in Japan than Norway can be quit different you are more effective Aikido player in Japan than learning in Norway. I say this because I live in Norway, and most Aikido instructors in this country aren't so serious about Aikido as self defence they rather train Aikido for fun. I believe if you are going to learn Aikido you should 100% focus And learn it for self defence because that's the reason why we learn it.! And not to time pass around. And in Japan Aikido instructors are more serious that is what I believe.

Last edited by Ali Raja : 06-22-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa
Re: Practicing Aikido in Japan versues Norway

There are many different reasons people study Aikido, and many different perspectives in teaching....one should find a teacher to study with who has the perspective one wishes to study. That may be in Japan, or any number of other places.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Ali Raja

Norway

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
There are many different reasons people study Aikido, and many different perspectives in teaching....one should find a teacher to study with who has the perspective one wishes to study. That may be in Japan, or any number of other places.
So you do agree that studying Aikido in Japan is much more real than what you see in Norway or elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Ali Raja wrote: View Post
So you do agree that studying Aikido in Japan is much more real than what you see in Norway or elsewhere.
Haven't practiced in Norway... Canada, New Zealand, Japan. Not sure what you mean "real" - the late shihan in Canada, Kawahara Yukio, used to advise that we run away from situations - my Japanese wasn't good enough to know exactly why he advised that - probably because he felt we'd be in deep doo-doo if we stayed and tried to do aikido on an experienced guy with a knife who wanted to slice-and-dice us. We were too slow and unskilled. (I believe I still am slow and unskilled.)

In Aikikai Hombu, I only attended some morning classes with Doshu teaching, and some other classes with... er... I can't remember his name and he's not on the schedule any more, but he did a lot of seminars in New Zealand. We practiced aikido techniques and there wasn't any mention of "out on the street" stuff.

In New Zealand, mostly we practiced basic techniques over and over but with increasing proficiency as we developed. It's hard to say "real" about the training - other than it was "real" aikido training, and the better people barely broke a sweat while I (a mere nidan) lost a lot of weight each practice.

But was it "real"? Would we be able to defend ourselves from attackers? Who knows? One of my sensei (also "late" thanks to a heart attack) had used it in "real" situations where lives were being lost and edged weapons and firearms were involved - for him it was "real" - and he made the point that if someone's not REALLY ATTACKING as if they mean to cause you harm, you don't really have to do aikido.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

Quote:
I did not state anything like that. I have no idea what the state of Aikido in Norway is; also any judgment I would make would be subjective based on my own preferences. By all means, if you are intent on traveling to Japan to study, you will certainly be drinking from the source. My point is that there are a lot of good Aikido teachers in other places than Japan. Obviously there are a lot of good aikido teachers in Japan. Good luck in your quest.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

I would suggest you go to a few classes with Bjorn Eirik Olsen Shihan when he is in Oslo - he can show you many aspects of Aikido. Unfortunately for you he is based in Tromso.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
In less peaceful venues, putting your own words into someone else's mouth would be seen as trying to pick a fight. Here, I'd think it would be seen as the height of rudeness.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #8
StephanS

Dojo: Enighet
Sweden

You could try Mouliko Halén. His dojo is in Heggedal near Oslo and as a former military guy, maybe you trust his technique http://www.sunyata-aikido.org/heggedal/en/