Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States
Dojo managment software

What 3 features would/do you use most in a dojo management program, eg. (student fees, calendar, schedule, student profile)?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Karo
United_States
Re: Dojo managment software

Attendance. And a simple PDA version of the software or client just for the attendance, so you can mark attendance on the PDA and then upload/synchronize the files to the main program.

Are you developing the software?

Karo
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
scarey
United_States

Yes, I am developing some software but it will be web based. I'm looking to get ideas on the most functional features that would be used as well as how popular something like this might be. Just looking to make life easier :-)
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
bulevardi
Dojo: Tobu Chiku Aikikai
Belgium

- online shopping cart to buy dojo tools like tanto, jo, bokken
- being able to pay subscription fees via paypal
- profiles of members

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
scarey
United_States

Thank you for your suggestions, Dirk!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
chillzATL
United_States

Unless you're just looking to code something, check out www.martialmanagement.com.

It does most of what has been mentioned already (profile, dojo directory, announcements, calendar, time tracking, etc), is constantly being improved/refined and the developer is very open to suggestions. oh and it's free. At some point he may charge for some features, but these will be extensions to the core functionality.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
David Maidment
United Nations

Hmm... I've written software to do a lot of these individual things over the years. Perhaps I should combine them to make some dojo management software. I've needed a new coding project for a while now.

Off the top of my head, I'd say something that incorporates an eCommerce solution (including payment of dues), basic CMS, calendar, community forum, gallery software... pretty much how AikiWeb is set up, to be honest.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Unless you're just looking to code something, check out www.martialmanagement.com.

It does most of what has been mentioned already (profile, dojo directory, announcements, calendar, time tracking, etc), is constantly being improved/refined and the developer is very open to suggestions. oh and it's free. At some point he may charge for some features, but these will be extensions to the core functionality.
WOT (https://www.mywot.com/) lists that url as a spammer.

I'm in the process of designing some software for gyms. It will support web/mac/pc/iphone/android (Web/mac/iphone first). It's in early stages however.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Money collection, money collection, and...money collection. Automated billing would be my top, followed dojo calendar and communication tool.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

I have a Filemaker Pro based app I wrote that works just fine and if you want to do a web based management app I suggest a CMS platform like Joomla. It's free and relatively easy to learn and use and if you like to create... code... and stuff.... allot of fun.

William Hazen
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Jeff Sodeman
Dojo: San Diego Jiai Aikido

If you're thinking of making something for yourself, go for it. But if you pick up a few martial arts magazines you'll find them filled with ads for applications/services like this.

You may also find that a higher number of dojos than you would expect don't have internet service.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
bulevardi
Dojo: Tobu Chiku Aikikai
Belgium

Did I mention Avatars yet?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
WOT (https://www.mywot.com/) lists that url as a spammer.

I'm in the process of designing some software for gyms. It will support web/mac/pc/iphone/android (Web/mac/iphone first). It's in early stages however.
It's wrong and if you look at the two sources/honeypots, one of them (arcade) you can't even contact anymore and the other is in Germany. There is NO unsolicited email coming from that domain. The domain isn't listed on ANY of the commonly used, corporate, verifiable blacklist services. WOT is NOT one of those...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #14
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Jeff Sodeman wrote: View Post
You may also find that a higher number of dojos than you would expect don't have internet service.
Internet service? What's that?

Our dojo has a website, but it's for informational purposes. We're simply not large enough to need shopping carts or any other e-commerce paraphernalia. We're also not large enough to need specialized apps to track attendance, dues payments, testing, accounting/bookkeeping, etc. General purpose apps such as Excel and Quickbooks do that well enough for a dojo our size.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Jeff Sodeman wrote: View Post
For a web based service like martialmanagement.com, dojos don't need internet service. Students and instructors access it on their own time and the dojo itself doesn't need to be able to access the site directly for that.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
scarey
United_States

Wonderful discussion here. Looks like accessibility seems to be on the mind. I tend to agree with the idea that internet access might be a valid obstacle to work on. I think that is best tackled by having some sort of workflow. As mentioned, the size of the dojo would probably determine the need for something like this.

Another aspect I've been thinking about is the social aspect. The idea behind social software is to enable people to interact online in as much the same way as they do offline. I think dojo management software should offer something that let's people share and discuss much in the same way they do after a seminar, for example. This has the benefit of letting a dojo's culture extend itself beyond what it can physically reach.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #17
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
I have a Filemaker Pro based app I wrote that works just fine and if you want to do a web based management app I suggest a CMS platform like Joomla. It's free and relatively easy to learn and use and if you like to create... code... and stuff.... allot of fun.

William Hazen
The Filemaker Pro is the best program that I've used. It works for an expanding school population, can segregate billing and stats for dojo management tasks, and is pretty user friendly. I'd never considered
writing my own program, that's beyond my pail, as it were.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
The Filemaker Pro is the best program that I've used. It works for an expanding school population, can segregate billing and stats for dojo management tasks, and is pretty user friendly. I'd never considered
writing my own program, that's beyond my pail, as it were.
Cool Beans Jenn... You can also make Filemaker Pro data web accessible too.... and for those who would like students to be able to pay online you can plug in a safe and secure Paypal account for your Dojo.

Anyone who is good with a computer can use Filemaker Pro after a few hours of instruction. It's very user friendly.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you're enjoying the surf today.

William Hazen
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
edwilli

I've created The Dojo Manager (http://thedojomanager.com), for small and medium dojos. It's still in beta, so it's free, but even when it's out of beta the fee will be very small, to allow even small schools to be able to afford it.

It's all online, so no software to install and you can use it from any Internet connection.

Dan
Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

Quote:
Dan Williams wrote: View Post
I've created The Dojo Manager (http://thedojomanager.com), for small and medium dojos. It's still in beta, so it's free, but even when it's out of beta the fee will be very small, to allow even small schools to be able to afford it.

It's all online, so no software to install and you can use it from any Internet connection.

Dan
Hi Dan,

I am interested but the site does not work. Can you fix this? (Uesd firefox).

Thanks,

Arjan
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Arjan de Vries wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,

I am interested but the site does not work. Can you fix this? (Uesd firefox).

Thanks,

Arjan
Arjan,

Try taking the close paranethesis out of the URL.

...rab
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Arjan,

...rab
That did the trirck... Stupid of me I did not check!

Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Slightly OT
I have seen a few setups around the traps, a nice half way point is a book for attendance and collect fees using paypal (its easy to setup). Going to dojo management software means a computer, possibly internet connection, maintaing the computer, backup strategies and probably you still need someone to drive it turn it on/off before and after class. Its all a question of scale I think if the dojo is full time with lots of people coming through the door its probably helpful, but i suspect for the vast majority of dojo its a cool idea but maybe a time sink that distracts from training

Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Arjan,

...rab
Let me guess, IT Support.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #25
TreyPrice

Dojo: Capitol City Aikido Club
United_States

I have always thought it would be good to have a swipe card to track attendance. I am a school principal and swipe cards are great. The alternative is a key pad to enter a "student" number.

I think it would also be good to have seminar information after students train away.

I would love to see what you develop when you are done.