Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Back online

Hey all,

I'm back online after a few weeks out of the net. Feeling pretty good, crutching around like mad, stronger every day. Still in rehab center for a week and some change, though. Won't be back on the mat to play for another 3 months or so.

If'n anybody's interested, here's what's been happening:

http://arxhereticus.blogspot.com/

cg

Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Back online

Best wishes!

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

hip hip hooray :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Mike James
Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Wouldn't that be "hop hop hooray"? :-)

masakatsu agatsu
Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Great to hear that you're doing well. I'll definitely want to get as much info from you as possible to help me get educated before I go under the knife.

Take care,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Thomas Campbell

Hope your recovery and healing continue to go well, Chuck.

We still haven't figured out where, historically, O'Sensei got his skills, so you haven't missed much being off-line.

Cheers.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
I'll definitely want to get as much info from you as possible to help me get educated before I go under the knife.
Hey Chuck,

If you're going for joint replacement surgery find out who makes the replacement joint and how many times the surgeon has used it. I watched a total knee replacement and it was the first time the surgeon had used that particular company's knee. Let's just say the results were less than ideal.

Another good bit of info to have is the surgeon's/hospital's infection rate for similar surgeries.

Find out your surgeon's stance on post-op movement restrictions. In a hip (for example) the surgeon will often want you to limit movement in flexion (nothing >90*), internal rotation, and adduction (not past midline). I've known surgeons to take each patient on a case-by-case basis as to how long they were under these restrictions while other surgeons just want their hip replacement patients under these restrictions indefinitely.

If the hip is the problem you could see if Birmingham Hip Resurfacing is an option. I don't know much about it but I hear it doesn't require as stringent of a movement restriction. I've even heard that some surgeons place NO movement restrictions with this procedure.

If possible get with the physical therapist well before the surgery to start pre-op exercises. This will help with recovery time and post-op you'll be familiar with the program instead of having to learn it will goofed out on pain meds

Good luck,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Cousin Chuck,

Best advice I can give you:

1. Find the best doc you can afford, then upgrade and go into debt if you have to.

2. Do it sooner rather than later. The longer you wait, the older you are; the long you take to heal and rehab.

3. Learn this mantra: I've done martial arts for decades, I will continue to do so, give me the hi-impact sports model and make sure my rehab is designed with those factors in mind.

4. Post-op: Do your rehab religiously.

5. Did I mention that the earlier you get this done, the easier it will be on you?

6. If you're a little heavy now, lose some weight before the surgery. It'll make things easier after.

7. Start talking to your insurance company now about what they will pay for and how much rehab you can squeeze out of them.

Couple of huge difference here and in the US:

US: You go home after a few days and are, essentially, on your own.
GER: I was in the hospital 10 days and then have 2 weeks in a rehab center for intensive PT and movement training.

Feel free to e- me offline to talk. Honestly, this was the smartest thing I've done in years. I'm in no pain to speak of, only an occasional twinge if I do something stupid. I'm getting stronger every day and am feeling beter than I have for months.

Hang in there.

cg

Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Thanks for the info guys. I'm being taken care of by the VA and I've been told that here in the Phoenix area hip replacements are done by surgeons outside the VA system. I do need to lose some weight before they'll do the proceedure and I have no insurance. It'll probably be done in Puget Sound VA system after I move to the Seattle area.

I heard that there's a study going on at UW that the VA has been taking part in on new hip replacement proceedure methods. I'm investigating this (my son works at UW in their Medical School department) with the intent to try and get connected with a surgeon that's been taking part in this study. The procedure that they've been working with is supposed to last three times longer than other procedures. We'll see what happens. I'm sure not gonna put this off any longer than necessary.

I used to work in hospital management and have lots of experience with surgeons, physical therapists, etc. that gives me somewhat of a "leg up" on the inner goings on of this stuff. I'm an information junkie and am always looking for more info ...

I'm off today to the Bay Area to teach a seminar this weekend.

Thanks again,

Last edited by Chuck Clark : 08-02-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote: View Post
Hey all,

I'm back online after a few weeks out of the net. Feeling pretty good, crutching around like mad, stronger every day. Still in rehab center for a week and some change, though. Won't be back on the mat to play for another 3 months or so.

If'n anybody's interested, here's what's been happening:

http://arxhereticus.blogspot.com/

cg
Ewwwww, I love Jim Hightower.

By the way, you might consider the combat umbrella forum as a temporary training point; adaptable to crutches.

Get better real soon .

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Update time:

Well, it's been a bit over a year since the hip replacement. In that year, I've had an attack of reactive arthritis that set my rehab back about two months, and in January, discorvered that I had a: a cataract in my right eye, and b: a detached retina in that same eye.

Two major surgeries in six months and the arthritis, which is mostly under control, but still an issue, AND a trans-Atlantic move, and the short result is that I haven't spent as much time on the mat lately as I'd like.

Em and I do some veyr light training once a week or so, but I'm not up to taking ukemi, which sort of puts a damper on my teaching style ...

However, we do sword and staff when we can and we've signed up for an 8-week course in Shinto Muso Ryu jodo locally, and will be getting to know some of those folks soon. Looking forward to that!

Since I had the THR a few other folks have posted or been referenced as needing hip replacement, so if anyone wants to talk about it, feel free to get in touch!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
gdandscompserv

United_States

Wow Chuck. That's alot to go through. Sounds like you're pretty upbeat about it though. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Wow Chuck. That's alot to go through. Sounds like you're pretty upbeat about it though. Good luck.
Hey, I'm alive, I'm mostly functional and even with all this, I'm not as bad off as some folks out there. And it beats some of the alternatives!