Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-28-2002, 09:17 AM   #1
Steve Patterson
"Even the Mona Lisa's falling apart"

This is mostly a health related question. I want to see if anyone else out there is having these issues or has a suggestion to help, due to how much this is starting to affect my training. Here goes...
During class (not every, but a lot) I am experiencing extremely painful headaches. Here is closest way to describe them. They are a combination of a head rush, ice cream headache (very technical description I know)
It affects vision everything is very bright, as well the forehead (sinus area), also there just a heavy feeling in the head, it seems hard to hold my head up.
I do suffer from light related migraines, but this is not the same thing. I have considered dehydration and blood sugar, sometimes it helps, somtimes it dosen't. It has had repercussions on my level of training. I cannot seem to train as hard for
either getting the headaches, or honsetly fear of getting the headaches (for the possibility of it turning into a migraine).
I have trained for many years and this has popped up in the last couple, and I really have no intention of stopping, but it can take some of the enjoyment out of it.

If anybody has a suggestion I would be grateful!

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited by Steve Patterson : 06-28-2002 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
akiy

Re: "Even the Mona Lisa's falling apart"

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Patterson
If anybody has a suggestion I would be grateful!
Yes -- go see a doctor...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-28-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Straight Face

dont wanna put a downer on things but have you thought of a concusion?
you may have received one from somewhere maybe whilst training obviously the only advice anybody can give you is go and tell your GP!

thats about it he might refer you or he might dismiss it in which case get a second opinion but thats up to you
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 06-28-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Steve Patterson
Sorry, should have made mention. I have been to my G.P. and that is where the dehydration and blood sugar level theories started. Also, she is monitoring the migranes. I also recently had extensive physical for a new job
(felt like they were getting me ready for space travel) and everything check out. Short of an MRI or Catscan, my last was four years
ago. I am not aware of any obvious concussion that I might have sustained but I will bring it up at the next appointment.

Thanks and sorry for the lack of total info.

Steven
Old 06-28-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
I would think the obvious answer is to get the MRI and Catscan. Better now then when you passout while driving to work or somewhere else. I'd also get a complete blood workover, specifically checking for diabetes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Patterson
Sorry, should have made mention. I have been to my G.P. and that is where the dehydration and blood sugar level theories started. Also, she is monitoring the migranes. I also recently had extensive physical for a new job
(felt like they were getting me ready for space travel) and everything check out. Short of an MRI or Catscan, my last was four years
ago. I am not aware of any obvious concussion that I might have sustained but I will bring it up at the next appointment.

Thanks and sorry for the lack of total info.

Steven
Old 06-28-2002, 01:04 PM   #6
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
I would begin seeing a your regular doctor and a neurologist. Also, you may be allergic to something at the dojo...mold or dust or even other people's dead skin cells on the mat, so seeing an allergist is a good next step if they persist.

Ice can relieve the sinus pain, and massage can help (face and feet).

Good luck .
Old 07-01-2002, 01:00 AM   #7
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Can I make a suggestion for you to see a chiropractor? Back problems can be a root cause for migrane and such.

Heat and too much physical stress on the body can be contributors as well.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:05 AM   #8
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan
Can I make a suggestion for you to see a chiropractor? Back problems can be a root cause for migrane and such.

Heat and too much physical stress on the body can be contributors as well.
I would second Ahmad's suggestion. Chiropractic doctors can often deal very efficiently with this type of problem.

Avery
Old 07-01-2002, 06:32 AM   #9
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Ahhhh chiropracter the ancient word for "Ow leave me alone you sadist!"

might be worth a try tho, if you dont mine being strung up whilst the chiropracter has his fingers in your nostrils whilst pushing a broom handle into your back and sweeping your legs from under you

"Crack your bones!" - Eddie izzard

Mri CAT scan sounds good check out der head department squishy grey matter can get bruised easily

Actualy just a quick one, are nosebleeds common in aikido espesh in Iriminage?
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:03 AM   #10
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Uh ... oh

I wouldn't bring it up, except I can remember having the same kind of symptoms. The doctors attributed them to high blood pressure, allergic reactions, and sinus infections.

You might need to change your diet to low salt, and check out getting a stress test so they can check you physical condition to simulate your illness while exercising.

There are three or four symptoms they group to get what is now called Meniere's syndrome, which eventually is deterioration of balance to nerve damage that leads to eventual deafness.

Most times, your diet and few allergy checks will reveal sinus problems, but other symtoms could be signs of something quite serious.

Listen to your body. It is trying to tell you that something is not right.

Don't let the doctors blow you off, get whatever tests you can, push for real answers.

Remember that doctors are human, and they sometimes get buried by the shear volume of people they see each day, your explanation of pains over time, how they affect you are one of the keys to a diagnosis. If you have to ... keep notes.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:22 AM   #11
Steve Patterson
Thanks to everbody that took the time to read my post and responded. As to the question about the nosebleeds (I assume the question was for me) no I have never suffered a nosebleed during class. I have had a stress test (the basic one with the treadmill) but I am going to see my GP next week and see about the MRI and such. I even saw a special with a person with the smilar symptoms and it was due to the amount of CO2 in their blood was to high. Maybe it lies in that arena, at this point I am looking at every possiblity.
But again thanks to everbody!

Steven Patterson