Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: The Empty Body

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
...One example that springs to mind is how the kesa-giri of Kashima Shinryu profoundly influenced Yamaguchi Sensei's aikido (and that of his students).
What's your source for this? Say more. As a student of one of his students, I want to know more.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
What's your source for this? Say more. As a student of one of his students, I want to know more.
Have you seen this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GBuNOrE6WY
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Robert Cowham wrote: View Post
Yup, and it's a keeper. But it doesn't answer my questions about Yamaguchi's own sword training.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
I am not Alex, but I can give some answer.

Yamaguchi Sensei regularly visited Hiroshima and I once asked him where he learned his sword, which sword school he attended. He answered that he did not attend any school. He watched others and 'stole' their knowledge. One of these others was most certainly Inaba Minoru of the Shiseikan Dojo at the Meiji Shrine. Mr Inaba trained at the Aikikai Hombu and was taught by Yamaguchi Sensei and he also trained for a while with Kunii Zenya of Kashima Shinryu. Inaba-shi also trained at Yamaguchi Sensei's private dojo on the recommendation of one Shimada Kazushige. Two others known to me also trained under Yamaguchi Sensei's tutelage and also practised the type of swordwork Alex refers to. One is Christian Tissier and the other was M Sekiya, who lived in the UK for a while.

Best wishes

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I am not Alex, but I can give some answer.

Yamaguchi Sensei regularly visited Hiroshima and I once asked him where he learned his sword, which sword school he attended. He answered that he did not attend any school. He watched others and 'stole' their knowledge. One of these others was most certainly Inaba Minoru of the Shiseikan Dojo at the Meiji Shrine. Mr Inaba trained at the Aikikai Hombu and was taught by Yamaguchi Sensei and he also trained for a while with Kunii Zenya of Kashima Shinryu. Inaba-shi also trained at Yamaguchi Sensei's private dojo on the recommendation of one Shimada Kazushige. Two others known to me also trained under Yamaguchi Sensei's tutelage and also practised the type of swordwork Alex refers to. One is Christian Tissier and the other was M Sekiya, who lived in the UK for a while.

Best wishes
The Kashima Shinryu swordwork seems to be very much associated with the Yamaguchi "school", even if he himself never studied it formally. I went to a summer school in Belgium in the late 1980s with Yasuno Shihan from the Hombu Dojo, whom I knew to have been a student of Yamaguchi Sensei. We spent half an hour or so practising bokken kesagiri (the ichi-no-dachi of the Kashima kihon-dachi), which seemed rather unfamiliar to many of those in the class.

Alex
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
The Kashima Shinryu swordwork seems to be very much associated with the Yamaguchi "school", even if he himself never studied it formally. I went to a summer school in Belgium in the late 1980s with Yasuno Shihan from the Hombu Dojo, whom I knew to have been a student of Yamaguchi Sensei. We spent half an hour or so practising bokken kesagiri (the ichi-no-dachi of the Kashima kihon-dachi), which seemed rather unfamiliar to many of those in the class.

Alex
Absolutely. It was Mr Sekiya who taught Kanetsuka Shihan those basic sword moves at Ryushinkan. I was a Ryushinkan member at the time and such practice was usually done at lunchtime. Old students like David Helsby still practice them. Yasuno Shihan had a close relationship with YS and married into the Yamaguchi family. When I stated that he never studied it formally, I mean that he never enrolled as a student of Kunii Zenya.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
When I stated that he never studied it formally, I mean that he never enrolled as a student of Kunii Zenya.
He had the skills to just "incorporate or assimilate" it, as Christian Tissier once said to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Quote:
That's beautiful. It really confirms how Yamaguchi's swordwork was completely at one with his tai-jutsu.

Alex
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Kashima Shinryu and Yamaguchi Seigo

Dear Alex,
Yamaguchi Sensei was a really nice man, so unassuming.
I always liked his style and I also liked Sekiya Sensei, another gentleman. His swordwork was beautiful to watch.
Hope yo u are well, Cheers, Joe.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Alex,
Yamaguchi Sensei was a really nice man, so unassuming.
I always liked his style and I also liked Sekiya Sensei, another gentleman. His swordwork was beautiful to watch.
Hope yo u are well, Cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe,

I didn't have much exposure to Sekiya Sensei - I think I started practising at around the time he moved back to Japan. I enjoyed a day he taught in London during a brief visit a few years later, and KS invited him to lead a BAF Summer School in the early nineties, though he wasn't very active by then and didn't teach much.

My memories of Yamaguchi Sensei are much more vivid, with his visits to Oxford in the mid 1980s.

Alex
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Hi Joe,

I didn't have much exposure to Sekiya Sensei - I think I started practising at around the time he moved back to Japan. I enjoyed a day he taught in London during a brief visit a few years later, and KS invited him to lead a BAF Summer School in the early nineties, though he wasn't very active by then and didn't teach much.

My memories of Yamaguchi Sensei are much more vivid, with his visits to Oxford in the mid 1980s.

Alex
Hello Alex,

Mr Sekiya was very good. When he was in the UK, I was his otomo and often took ukemi. When I came to Japan and experienced Yamaguchi Sensei's aikido, quite a few things fell into place. YS came to Hiroshima for regular weekend seminars and I attended these for many years, in fact until he passed away. I often took ukemi for YS and, as I say, things fell into place. I also once took ukemi for Inaba Minoru and the experience was similar in many ways. But there was a sharpness, a raw edge, with Mr Inaba's aikido that was not present in that of YS.

It is unfortunate that SS and YS had a falling out, but for a few years before he died, SS trained at the Shiseikan dojo.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Robert A. Wilkins

Hugh,

Ask Gleason Shihan about Noguchi Sensei.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

I asked Inaba sensei a bit about this earlier today (lucky me!).

He said that Noguchi sensei was a fellow student of Yamaguchi sensei and also was more present in YS's dojo - meaning he was there for more years and also spent some of that time teaching or at least regularly substituting on YS's behalf. Noguchi sensei studied with Kunii sensei for a little less than Inaba sensei, but also had the direct transmission.

Inaba sensei continued to study aikido with Yamaguchi sensei, and teaches it alongside the Kashima no Tachi as in his view the need for relaxation alongside the sharpness and focus of the sword is totally necessary.

Sekiya sensei took the decision at the age of 70 to study with Inaba sensei at the Shiseikan - quite a statement of recognition given his age and experience. Was discussing earlier with Paul Smith and SS apparently said his body got better after 70 from that study. I think that SS influenced IS to "open up" to westerners more - for which people such as myself are a direct beneficiary and very grateful!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Robert A. Wilkins

Quote:
I asked Inaba sensei a bit about this earlier today (lucky me!).

He said that Noguchi sensei was a fellow student of Yamaguchi sensei and also was more present in YS's dojo - meaning he was there for more years and also spent some of that time teaching or at least regularly substituting on YS's behalf. Noguchi sensei studied with Kunii sensei for a little less than Inaba sensei, but also had the direct transmission.

Inaba sensei continued to study aikido with Yamaguchi sensei, and teaches it alongside the Kashima no Tachi as in his view the need for relaxation alongside the sharpness and focus of the sword is totally necessary.

Sekiya sensei took the decision at the age of 70 to study with Inaba sensei at the Shiseikan - quite a statement of recognition given his age and experience. Was discussing earlier with Paul Smith and SS apparently said his body got better after 70 from that study. I think that SS influenced IS to "open up" to westerners more - for which people such as myself are a direct beneficiary and very grateful!
When I asked Gleason Sensei about this he told me that Noguchi Sensei would teach sword informally before Yamaguchi Sensei would begin to teach

Gleason Sensei also told me that Inaba Sensei would train there sometimes as well, but trained separately from Noguchi Sensei

These's some super 8 footage of Noguchi Sensei performing the Kihon Dachi and Ura Dachi katas included on Gleason Sensei's dvd On it you can see the strength and sharpness of Noguchi Sensei's technique
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Robert A. Wilkins

The mysterious, the elusive Noguchi Sensei.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I learned some Kashima Shinryu from Kanetsuka Sensei and Ezra Sensei in the 1980s too and still do it today - I feel it really matches well with Aikido. When I went to Japan I trained in Shiseikan for a year at some point and they did it too so it was quite fortunate. I have been doing it by myself ever since. However, I remember a senior sensei (Omura Hiroaki) in Japan criticising my shihonage once when I was doing it kesa-giri style - he spotted it instantly and said, No - do it like shomen-uchi !