Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
carlo pagal
Dojo: iloilo aikido dojo
Philippines
a filipino aikido teacher

Hello aikidokas,

we would like to share with you a brief history of the roots of our filipino aikido teacher to whom we are thankful for sharing with us the art of aikido.

I've seen hard copies of old authentic certificates, old Instructor's Idenification Cards, old clips original copy of Guam local newspapers and old photographs of persons who started Aikido in Guam. Harry Eto Sensie, who started the Guam Aikido Club under the umbrella of Hawaii Aiki Kwai, as early as 1956, and Kalama Sensie and Sasaki Sensie were the 2 top ranking Insructors of Guam Aikido Club as reflected in the Rooster of Hawaii Aiki Kwai of 1965 - these respectable persons awarded a rank of Shodan to a Filipino - he was the first ever Filipno blackbelt of Guam Aikido Club, Hawaii Aiki Kwai. The date was 23rd of May 1965. September of the same year, the marked visit of Tohie Sensie in Guam wherein he actually chose this Filipino as his sparring partner during demo and seminars, Tohie Sensie conducted for couple of months he stayed in Guam before he went to Mainland U.S.A. In 1974, this humble Filipino went home to the Philippines with a 4th Dan under his belt in Aikido. He remains to be a Filipino Citizen to this date.

(we have photographs of persons synonymous with Philippine Aikido..photos were in black and white but you can tell they wore colored belts, and their instructor is no other than Valencia Sensei. pls visit aikiloilo.bravehost.com)
Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
raul rodrigo
Philippines
Re: a filipino aikido teacher

I have to ask: What is Sensei Valencia's affiliation? Did he leave the Aikikai along with Tohei in 1973? Or did he stay with Hombu dojo?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

+ 1 to Raul's question.
The only Ki Society affiliated dojo in the Philippines is located in Cebu which does not help me since I normally stay in Quezon City when ever I visit. The only person I know off and have trained with is Ernesto Talag Sensei who trained under Tohei Sensei long time ago. He has since formed his own aikido style to adapt to escrima techniques and such. Ki training was not in his curriculum but still excellent training. Since you're in Iloilo, am I correct to assume that your sensei is Ki No Kenkyukai affiliated?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
carlo pagal
Philippines

i'll ask him if i have time. but i beleive its with hombu dojo.we have a brief history about sensei valencia at www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com. if u have time, pls. check it out.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Carlo Paul Pagal wrote:
i'll ask him if i have time. but i beleive its with hombu dojo.we have a brief history about sensei valencia at www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com. if u have time, pls. check it out.

I did. It doesnt clarify his current status with regard to hombu dojo or with ki no kenkyukai.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Is his affiliation still important? He is a legit 4th Dan instructor, and received his ranking from a legit Sensei, who was the Chief Instructor of Aikikai at that time. He can promote his students up to at least 2nd Dan - Aikikai style.

Furthermore, the poster is only trying to thank his Sensei, and at the same time let the rest of us know that there is somebody else aside from the famous names in Philippine Aikido.

There's another one, established Aikido in 1956, a direct student of Gozo Shioda, but that's another subject
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Larry Cuvin wrote:
The only person I know off and have trained with is Ernesto Talag Sensei...
Hey, a name I know. My Sensei travels to the Phillipines on business and will go to Talag Sensei's dojo while there. Talag Sensei also came here to Michigan to teach a seminar for us.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-31-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
jacktentia
Philippines

romeul you are right his affiliation is not important coz that time there is only one aikido, sensie valencia is affiliated with guam aikikai which is affiliated to marianas aikikai. sensie valencia'a name was publish in the novemeber 1965 issue of blackbelt magazine where all promoted to the rank of shodan were also published.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
jacktentia
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
I have to ask: What is Sensei Valencia's affiliation? Did he leave the Aikikai along with Tohei in 1973? Or did he stay with Hombu dojo?

raul maybe you are a bit confused of sensie valencia's affiliation. sensie valencia's was affilaited with guam aikikai whose mother club is marianas aikikai which is affiliated with honbo dojo in japan.he never left aikikai and even received his 4th dan promotion in 1974. he studied with sensei tohei in 1965 when tohei is still with akikai. sensie valencia's blackbelt certificates were issued by honbo dojo and all text were written in japanese character saved the dates and numbers. for the record galarpe and omar kamar studied with sensie valencia in guam. also sensie valencia'a name was published in the november 1965 issue of blackbelt magazine together with those who were promoted to the rank of shodan and he is the only filipino.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Okay, thank you for that clarification. I asked the question because Tohei took quite a few of his students with him when he left Aikikai, including Talag and Galarpe. So its seems a logical question to ask of another Filipino student of Tohei. I am also interested because even Mr. Camar no longer has an Aikikai affiliation. By that I mean that his yudansha no longer receive the "Aikikai passport" signed by Moriteru Ueshiba.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #11
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
Is his affiliation still important? He is a legit 4th Dan instructor, and received his ranking from a legit Sensei, who was the Chief Instructor of Aikikai at that time. He can promote his students up to at least 2nd Dan - Aikikai style.
I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of Sensei Valencia's fourth dan ranking. Just clarifying the current status of his dojo with regard to Hombu Dojo. Its important to know if an aikido organization has a certificate of Hombu recognition because Hombu's regulations state that: "Dan grades are awarded to Aikido practitioners who belong to Aikido organizations with Hombu Recognition...Dan grades must, in all cases, be applied for to the Hombu. Dan grades become valid after they have been registered at the Hombu."

R

Last edited by raul rodrigo : 11-01-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Kenneth Bañares
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Canada

Where does Cacoy Cañete fit in? i know he is a Sandan...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia

Once certified, you are forever certified regardless of current affiliation, including those who are now currently independent. Bloodline is more important, it tells you their heritage.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
Once certified, you are forever certified regardless of current affiliation, including those who are now currently independent. Bloodline is more important, it tells you their heritage.
Of course you're certified forever. But you can't promote someone to an Aikikai dan grade unless you're affiliated with Hombu dojo.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #15
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia

Of course you're certified forever. But you can't promote someone to an Aikikai dan grade unless you're affiliated with Hombu dojo.

Just thinking outloud Raul. Let's say for example in 2000 I became a 4th dan, and Aikikai HQ affiliated. This title would normally allow me to grade, recommend and promote students up to 2nd dan at the most.

Now, in 2001 I decided to break off with the HQ, if what I understand from you is correct this means I could no longer promote students? That what I will teach them would not be valid anymore because I dont have the paperworks that says I am?

If so, what happened to my 4th dan ranking?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #16
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Romuel, the rules are clear. Aikikai dan grades are only valid if confirmed by Hombu Dojo. Even a fourth dan who stays with the Aikikai cannot by himself make someone a second dan. All he can do is give an exam for nidan. And then at that point he informs Hombu dojo that an exam was given and that he would like a nidan ranking for X. That X is not a nidan until Hombu says he is. That's the rule.

Now if you leave Aikikai, you can take your fourth dan with you, but you cannot create another dan ranked student. Because Hombu Dojo will not confer that rank on your student. Because you left. If you choose to re-affiliate then Hombu will be willing to discuss the certification of your yudansha. But they are not Aikikai yudansha unless Moriteru Ueshiba has signed their yudansha cards.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #17
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello,

I think you are mistaken. My answeres are flagged PAG.

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
Just thinking outloud Raul. Let's say for example in 2000 I became a 4th dan, and Aikikai HQ affiliated. This title would normally allow me to grade, recommend and promote students up to 2nd dan at the most.
PAG. No it would not. Your 4th dan would allow you to conduct dan examinations in an organization recognized by the Aikikai Hombu. You could not award 2nd dan ranks solely on your own initiative. I am 6th dan and I cannot do this.

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
Now, in 2001 I decided to break off with the HQ, if what I understand from you is correct this means I could no longer promote students? That what I will teach them would not be valid anymore because I dont have the paperworks that says I am?
PAG. You could not promote students and have the promotions recognized by the Aikikai. The promotions would be your own, solely. What you teach them would still be valid to the extent that it is based on your own knowledge and experience of aikido. However, it would no longer possible to promote dan ranks based on this knowledge and have these ranks authorized by the Aikikai, since you have renounced your Aikikai membership.

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
If so, what happened to my 4th dan ranking?
PAG. It would stay as it is, recorded in the Aikikai Hombu, but you could not do much with it. This is because the Aikikai's ranking system is tied to the organizations it recognizes.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Charlie

I reserve the right to be completely wrong here but I think Mr. Villareal's comments are based on the guidelines created for the International Branch of the Yoshinkan (IYAF) that can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page found >>> HERE.

I know that he has corresponded with members of the Yoshinkan (including myself).

If these are the Bylaws that he is referencing then he is only partially correct in his statement. Just because you have been awarded a 4th degree in Yoshinkan does NOT mean that you can promote up to 2nd degree. You must also apply for AND be approved for a separate Teaching Certificate that allows one to grade to various levels on approval.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #19
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia

Raul: Hello Raul, I'm not starting a fight here, I hope you dont have that impression...but I got your point. What I am really trying to say is that does it really matter? At the end of the day the question would be, is affiliation more important than what Valencia sensei has to offer?

Peter: Thanks, I was wrong - what I meant was really the same thing as you said, conduct exam and recommend.

Charlie: Hi - sorry, but it was not based there. I raised those questions on my own and honestly have nothing to do with our affilation, group, IYAF or Yoshinkan. My correspondence with members of the Yoshinkan community is purely educational in nature and has nothing to do with this subject. Cheers

To close, I am just happy to know that there are other high ranking filipino teachers in the Philippines who have studied authentic Aikido and have been ranked. I am happy to know that they are passing on whatever they have learned to the new generation of pinoys. I am happy to know that there are other teachers other than those famous names back home.

Last edited by villrg0a : 11-04-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #20
alex padilla
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club, Philippines
Philippines
Pinoy Aikidokas of the 50's

Hi Romuel,

History questions:
Benjamin Galarpe - 1959 shodan

Francisco Valencia- 1965 shodan
Omar Camar - 1967 shodan

All three are Aikikai's.
Regarding the pinoy who was an aikidoka since 1956, can u tell us more about him? Benjamin Galarpe started in1957, so he started aikido a year before Galarpe?
Is he the same person that taught at the Black Panther Dojo?

I'm just curious about the history of our Aikido lineage.
Thank you for your time.
-Alex
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #21
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia

Hi Alex

Yes the same person who taught the BP. Shodan in 1953/1954, and established his own school in Manila - 1956. A direct and one of the senior students of Gozo Shioda Kancho, just about the same time when the famous demonstration was taking place attended by 15000 people in Japan including the emperor where Kancho received the best exhibition award.

The same person was a Police Captain, Manila's finest and was sent to Japan for training. When he saw Kanchos exhibition, and challenges to include bone breaking movements against karatekas and wrestlers (I was told) he said this is the art I am looking for and immediately joined.

Yes it is YOSHINKAN AIKIDO. I understand that Omar Kamar sensei and Gavileno sensei know this person, you can ask them.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 AM   #22
jacktentia
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Romuel, the rules are clear. Aikikai dan grades are only valid if confirmed by Hombu Dojo. Even a fourth dan who stays with the Aikikai cannot by himself make someone a second dan. All he can do is give an exam for nidan. And then at that point he informs Hombu dojo that an exam was given and that he would like a nidan ranking for X. That X is not a nidan until Hombu says he is. That's the rule.

Now if you leave Aikikai, you can take your fourth dan with you, but you cannot create another dan ranked student. Because Hombu Dojo will not confer that rank on your student. Because you left. If you choose to re-affiliate then Hombu will be willing to discuss the certification of your yudansha. But they are not Aikikai yudansha unless Moriteru Ueshiba has signed their yudansha cards.

you are right raul if you leave aikikai you cannot promote students in aikikai standard because you are bounded by akikai policy, but does it matters? what is imporant is that we practiced aikido religiously and deligently, for me these all that matters. what we learned from our sensie is only a fraction of what we should know in aikido, the rest is up to us to practiced and improved what we learned. certificates are just pieces of papers.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:08 AM   #23
jacktentia
Philippines
Re: Pinoy Aikidokas of the 50's

Quote:
Alex Padilla wrote:
Hi Romuel,

History questions:
Benjamin Galarpe - 1959 shodan

Francisco Valencia- 1965 shodan
Omar Camar - 1967 shodan

All three are Aikikai's.
Regarding the pinoy who was an aikidoka since 1956, can u tell us more about him? Benjamin Galarpe started in1957, so he started aikido a year before Galarpe?
Is he the same person that taught at the Black Panther Dojo?

I'm just curious about the history of our Aikido lineage.
Thank you for your time.
-Alex
my salutations alex, you said that benjamen galarpe started aikido in 1957 but sensie valencia started aikido training in 1956, prior to aikido he was already a judo blackbelt. filipinos in guam are into judo before aikido was introdused in guam. if you visit our website we posted old photos of filipinos aikidoka in guam, a 1962 photo shows sensie valencia in brown belt while galarpe is still in purple belt.in the 70's kamar when in iloilo always extending his respect and regards to sendie valencia by visiting him at home.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #24
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia
Re: Pinoy Aikidokas of the 50's

[Alex] I forgot to tell you, he was already teaching Judo, Tactical Defense among other things at the Manila's Finest HQ, and NBI prior his departure to Japan in 53/1954. Just like Jack said, pinoys and the rest of the world where into Judo or Karate mostly prior to Aikido. Gosh I wasnt even born yet....

[Jack] Hi - when in Bacolod, please look for Kyokan Dojo headed by Stella Fuentes sensei they have good training there, and good people...
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #25
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

I do not want to be involved in any local aikido politics here.

My earlier post relates solely to those who consider themselves affiliated to the Aikikai: no more, no less.

P A Goldsbury