Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Aikido in Basic Combat Training?

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Ashley,

Just don't let it happen again or you might find R. Lee Ermey on your front doorstep. That wouldn't be pretty.

Yours in dress blues, tennis shoes, and a light coat of cosmoline,

Michael
Yessuh.... it won't happen again! I really did type the s though. I guess I didn't hit it hard enough. Guess it is time to clean the keyboard again. I had heck of a time getting my t's to work a couple weeks ago.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Ashley,

We can live in the mud, eat dirt, go weeks without a shower, but we get real touchy about some things. The sticky key thing sounds a little like an excuse. Field strip and clean that keyboard. A clean, well operated keyboard is mission essential and a failure like a missing capital C or missing S is a no-go!

Oooorah!

: )

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Ashley,

We can live in the mud, eat dirt, go weeks without a shower, but we get real touchy about some things. The sticky key thing sounds a little like an excuse. Field strip and clean that keyboard. A clean, well operated keyboard is mission essential and a failure like a missing capital C or missing S is a no-go!

Oooorah!

Please don't take me to parris island and turn me into a sugar cookie. I don't want to be eaten alive by sand fleas.... they have to be in full force atm. AND, it isn't an excuse if it is the truth. So there.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #29
Michael Hackett

There are no sugar cookies at PErris Island and there is no excuse or reason acceptable for not having your equipment in order!

Are you in K Falls? Does your dojo accept visitors?

Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
ninjaqutie

United_States

Sugar cookies are when you have to do pushups in the sand pits. You are so sweaty that the sand sticks to your face and arms. I don't live in Klamath. I live near Medford and my dojo is in Ashland. However, guests are welcome to train at our dojo. We have people pop in and train every so often.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #31
Michael Hackett

Ah, those were "toilet brushes" at MCRD San Diego. I visit beautiful downtown Dorris every spring so I might just pack up a gi and pop in next trip.

Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Hehehe...I used to love turning my Officer Candidates into Sugar Cookies when I was an OCS TAC Officer (Drill Instructor for Officers)! hadn't thought about that in a while!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Ashley,

Oooorah!

(sigh and eyeroll from the Army Guy!)

One of my Ranger Instructors told me the wisest thing I every heard one day when I was in ass deep in the mud. He said, "Ranger (spit tobbacco)....the important thing is to know the difference between Hooah and Stupid." (spit tobbacco).

"Jumping out of Airplanes and Scuba Diving is Hooah." "Laying in the mud when you don't have to, or not getting out of the rain when you can...well that is just Stupid." (Spit Tobbacco)

"Hooah Ranger?"

I am glad we have Marines though...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #34
Ari Gower
Dojo: Aikido of New Castle, New Castle, PA
United_States

Marines are fun. Not sure about sane, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #35
Michael Hackett

Your RI was right! One of mine fell asleep on a field problem and his recon patrol left his sick and hungover fanny snoring away. We all thought it was pretty hooooah, but he didn't. No sense of humor I suppose.

I guess we've hijacked this thread pretty terribly at this point - best wishes to Arianne in her new challenge and our thanks as well. She will live in interesting times.

Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
Ari Gower
United_States

No worries. It was an interesting hijacking, and I got all my questions answered, and then some.

EDIT: Telling my dojo that I enlisted may have been an error in judgment. They've solemnly sworn to "toughen me up" for basic. Whatever that means...

Last edited by Ari Gower : 08-06-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #37
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Hehehe...I used to love turning my Officer Candidates into Sugar Cookies when I was an OCS TAC Officer (Drill Instructor for Officers)! hadn't thought about that in a while!
Hey Kevin,
How likely or even possible is it, for a civilian practioner to train with the military?

I have wanted to train with the Marines and even at one point thought about joining, but my reasons for joining were very in-appropriate and not to mention that the cut off age is I think 30? I was over that limit. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #38
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Military goes much older than 30 these days if you are looking. However it changes depending on Supply and demand of volunteers it seems and I don't keep up with it.

Training with the military. Not going to happen likely. Liability issues.

That said, there are lots of good Private Dojos our there that are around military bases that train in combatives.

Ours, for instance, Pentagon Combatives Association.

We are primarily military, but also run a "private" club/dojo/association. So we are also open to anyone that wants to train. about 80 percent of our members are military and all our instructors are Combatives Certified Instructors as well as blackbelts in other arts.

However, that is changing as we are growing and getting more and more civilians that are coming to us and we are now starting to become more like a commercial school..which is cool!

We also have set up USA Jiu Jitsu a non-profit that is geared towards promoting Jiu Jitsu in the US and Olympics. We are still getting it going, but have new schools joining our association and we are starting to offer instructor certification courses and helping schools set up programs and run tournaments etc.

Don't think we have anything going on down your way.

That said, what we are doing is not all that special anyway.

Go to a decent BJJ school and you will be exposed to the fundamentals. All the other stuff is specifically geared towards the military tactical environment, which we don't do a whole lot, and is a waste of your time if you are not going to be kicking in doors and kickng ass.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #39
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Arianne Gower wrote: View Post
No worries. It was an interesting hijacking, and I got all my questions answered, and then some.

EDIT: Telling my dojo that I enlisted may have been an error in judgment. They've solemnly sworn to "toughen me up" for basic. Whatever that means...
Good stuff, run, do push ups, and sit ups. also do push ups. Doing other calesthentics is good too! also doing push ups is a good thing to do. Other than that I can't think of anything else you should do except relax and enjoy life...other than maybe doing some push ups every now and then.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #40
Ari Gower
United_States

Quote:
Good stuff, run, do push ups, and sit ups. also do push ups. Doing other calesthentics is good too! also doing push ups is a good thing to do. Other than that I can't think of anything else you should do except relax and enjoy life...other than maybe doing some push ups every now and then.
Hmm. My highly trained senses say that you're trying to tell me something...

My goal is 40 in a minute before basic. Can I make it? Maybe. I have decent upper body strength for a girl.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #41
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
I visit beautiful downtown Dorris every spring so I might just pack up a gi and pop in next trip.
Please do. We have a lot of great people at our dojo and Sensei really does enjoy having other people training with us. I don't know if you have ever had a chance to train with Bluhm Sensei, but a lot of people seem to like him... Just don't mind me and my pathetic aikido skills.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #42
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Don't forget squats... and squats with a haversack full o'rocks... and some basic Parkour training/conditioning is helpful for obstacle course prep...

Ignatius
Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #43
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Yeah those things are all good as well.

It is very good advice for overall fitness and I wish more folks would realize this!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #44
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Arianne Gower wrote: View Post
Hmm. My highly trained senses say that you're trying to tell me something...

My goal is 40 in a minute before basic. Can I make it? Maybe. I have decent upper body strength for a girl.
That is a good goal for sure! You will be suprised at the lack of fitness of your fellow Soldiers in Basic! It is absolutely mind shocking to me.

There are honestly people out there in the world that have never run or done any kind of phsycial fitness at all!

You are in for a lot of fun in basic! Folks from all walks of life and backgrounds!

I would be real curious as an Aikidoka to hear your perspective after you graduate on how you view the whole socialization process and "becoming a warrior".

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #45
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Military goes much older than 30 these days if you are looking. However it changes depending on Supply and demand of volunteers it seems and I don't keep up with it.

Training with the military. Not going to happen likely. Liability issues.

That said, there are lots of good Private Dojos our there that are around military bases that train in combatives.

Ours, for instance, Pentagon Combatives Association.

We are primarily military, but also run a "private" club/dojo/association. So we are also open to anyone that wants to train. about 80 percent of our members are military and all our instructors are Combatives Certified Instructors as well as blackbelts in other arts.

However, that is changing as we are growing and getting more and more civilians that are coming to us and we are now starting to become more like a commercial school..which is cool!

We also have set up USA Jiu Jitsu a non-profit that is geared towards promoting Jiu Jitsu in the US and Olympics. We are still getting it going, but have new schools joining our association and we are starting to offer instructor certification courses and helping schools set up programs and run tournaments etc.

Don't think we have anything going on down your way.

That said, what we are doing is not all that special anyway.

Go to a decent BJJ school and you will be exposed to the fundamentals. All the other stuff is specifically geared towards the military tactical environment, which we don't do a whole lot, and is a waste of your time if you are not going to be kicking in doors and kickng ass.
Okay thanks for the info. I already cross train in Bjj but was looking to learn the military combatives for more knowledge.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #46
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Cool...knowledge about what? We really don't do anything that special over what you are probably already doing. Our "Instructor" courses are really about methdology on how to teach soldiers and supervise Safe training.

Other stuff we do falls into the category of Techniques, Tactics, and Procedures (TTPs). These things are specific to the particular mission and or unit and might vary depending on the situations. They are also probably very boring for the civilian and not applicable to much.

Other than that, what you are left with is BJJ and some decent kicking striking etc.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #47
Ari Gower
United_States

Quote:
That is a good goal for sure! You will be suprised at the lack of fitness of your fellow Soldiers in Basic! It is absolutely mind shocking to me.

There are honestly people out there in the world that have never run or done any kind of phsycial fitness at all!

You are in for a lot of fun in basic! Folks from all walks of life and backgrounds!

I would be real curious as an Aikidoka to hear your perspective after you graduate on how you view the whole socialization process and "becoming a warrior".
Okay. I'll get back to you on that. It'll be a bit of a wait, though.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #48
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Hey you guys will find this interesting. Well suprise, I found myself in Florida on duty for the past 10 days. Well I hooked up with none other than Ron Donvito....the founder of LINE. So been training BJJ and LINE with him for the past 10 days.

Ron and I have become friends. Feel like I have known him my whole life and LINE...well it is very well thought out and a great system.

Caveat. Provided that it is taught correctly. Ron and I have talked alot in the past week about MIlitary Combatives, training methodologies, research, and what happens when you have institutions such as the Marine Corps (with an S), and The Army (no S needed). There are trade-offs for sure when you only have an hour to train a bunch of guys...so what do you spend time teaching them? and what will the leadership accept? and what will the guys do over and over?

Anyway, just wanted you guys to know that if you get the chance and ever get down to Fort Walton Beach area...you should look up Ron and go train with him some. Great guy and will give away more than is probably right for someone of his caliber should do.

Oh, BTW his son, Michael, 24 year old, 2 degree Black Belt in BJJ, and knows his stuff as well...so they can walk that dog as well.