Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #26
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: A Sense of Priorities

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Honey, let's get up and get another drink. And let's get one of those garlic things. Makes my blood heat up. Naw, baby, I don't care what your breath smells like. I'm gonna be smelling just the same and we won't notice anyway, later - particularly if we get that other drink. And how about we move to another table. There's some guy behind us talking about aikido.
The smoky bar is crowded and every stool taken and I'm on the last one near the door and have had perhaps one to many while thinking about younger days and dojos and late nights in smooky bars dancing with slightly sleazy women. Through the door a cocky dandy wants a place to park his but and have a cold one. He spots the old man at the end of bar near the door and sees an easy target. Coming up behind me he knocks me off the stool and says Tai Kawn Do spinning back kick and takes my stool. I craw out the door and come back a little later and come up behind him and knock him off the stool and say tire tool 65 Chevy. A little wobbly I climb back on the stool and finish his beer. No one even bothers to look around and see what happened.

The stork kept dancing with the swan

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #27
SeiserL

United_States

Bud (Weiser) and Tom (Waits).
Awe, the old days.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #28
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
The smoky bar is crowded and every stool taken and I'm on the last one near the door and have had perhaps one to many while thinking about younger days and dojos and late nights in smooky bars dancing with slightly sleazy women. Through the door a cocky dandy wants a place to park his but and have a cold one. He spots the old man at the end of bar near the door and sees an easy target. Coming up behind me he knocks me off the stool and says Tai Kawn Do spinning back kick and takes my stool. I craw out the door and come back a little later and come up behind him and knock him off the stool and say tire tool 65 Chevy. A little wobbly I climb back on the stool and finish his beer. No one even bothers to look around and see what happened.

The stork kept dancing with the swan
... and the asian bartender looked on while polishing the glasses for the umpteen times, while musing on the folly of men who discussed aikido and budo while there are mussed hair women with running stocking to be had. one should discuss the sweat lips of wine, of honey eyes, of silken hair, of swaying music, of losing steps. but most important of all, one must discuss how one should pay the bar tabs, before one gets knock on the head with the baseball bat behind the bar, where the musing bartender is contemplating. while swan dances on and stork pecks another fish from a distance land.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #29
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I'm thinking we need our own equivalent of the Bad Hemingway Award here on Aikiweb...

Now someone grab me a beer... The sun's up!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

I'll see you a Bad Hemingway Award and raise you a Bulwer-Lytton contest. Now that would truly be something.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #31
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Big grin on my face while I have some old flashbacks. Thanks Ellis.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #32
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Mark Chiappetta wrote: View Post
No, please dont.

Mark
Old 10-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #33
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
I'm thinking we need our own equivalent of the Bad Hemingway Award here on Aikiweb...

Now someone grab me a beer... The sun's up!
Ellis' bar scene reminds me more of Raymond Chandler. Apparently Chandler, though, regarded Hemingway as a genius, and even wrote a 1932 parody of Hemingway entitled "Beer in the Sergeant-Major's Hat, or, The Sun Also Sneezes." FWIW, there is, or at least used to be, an "International Bad Imitation Raymond Chandler Competition."

I personally would like to see Ellis imitate Steven Seagal.

Or not.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #34
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
...more of Raymond Chandler.
Certainly:

Quote:
Raymond Chandler wrote:
Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #35
Ellis Amdur

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: I personally would like to see Ellis imitate Steven Seagal.
Jayzus. Talk about a thread killer. Beyond not being allowed in the bar, Tom, you just ruled yourself off the block.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #36
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post

I personally would like to see Ellis imitate Steven Seagal.

Or not.
That shouldn't be all *that* hard...

Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #37
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Jayzus. Talk about a thread killer.
I did it with ki.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #38
thisisnotreal

a nice synchronicity i thought was worth pointing out.
.. just to change the subject..
and a very well written thread.
l o v e d i t
funny too.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #39
C. David Henderson
United_States

Perhaps a syncopated synchronicity; a truer test of rhythm in any event.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #40
Janet Rosen

OH CRAP. I wanted to post a link to the several (10 or more) years old Aikido-L bad novel to which I was a major contributor, but the aikido faq site is down.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
Janet Rosen

From my computer files, here is chapter 1 - I will slap together a web page w/ all the chapters I have and post a link.

Nightfall. I see it out my grimy third floor window, sickly yellow color crawling under the San Francisco fog and reflecting off the white and pastel stucco walls of the neighborhood. Rosen’s the name. I pick up a little P.I. work now and then. Do what I can. Friday afternoon turns into Friday night, nothing I can do, so I pour myself a tall one, light a Lucky straight, and put my three inch stiletto heels up on the desk.

The radio is playing a sad old blues, but it doesn’t obscure the sound of footsteps up the stairs, then down the hall, but not solid. More like a soft “whup, whup.” Flip-flops if you ask me, mens size 10, probably made in China. I keep my feet where they are, but smooth my full pleated black skirt over my knees. There’s a silhouette through the frosted door of the outer office, tall, broad-shouldered, hatless. I take a sip, wait for the knock. It comes. “Come on in, its open,” I call out softly.

He walks in. Tall indeed, over 6 feet, with legs that go up to here and a 500 watt smile that doesn’t stop. The kind of guy who’d look drop dead gorgeous in Armani, or in silk sheets. Unfortunately he’s in neither. I glance down--yep, flops on bare feet; at least the nails are well-clipped and everything looks clean. But the suit is some weird style that hasn’t been in vogue in years, maybe never: off-white but cotton instead of linen. No lapels, no shoulder pads, arms and legs hemmed way to short. Belted with a certain insoucience.

He stops opposite my desk, giving me the head-to-toe treatment. The smile goes up to about 750 watts. I motion to the empty chair; he sits and I just sit tight, smoking, waiting for him to tell me what’s up. I wait. Doesn’t bother me. I like the view.

“Mrs. Rosen, I understand you help people find things.” A soft, deep voice. The type you could get used to hearing at odd hours. I sit up straight, stub out the smoke, and tell myself to knock it off fast.

“That’s Miss Rosen,” I correct him. “What seems to be missing, Mr. um........?”

“Matt Burns.” He extends a hand to shake mine; the grip is firm yet gentle. Odd. “My shihan is missing. Miss Rosen, do you know anything about Aikido?”

“Those Japanese dogs, right?” Great, I think, have I sunk so low I’m looking for lost pets now? Quick glance down at the desktop: the calendar says the rent is due in 3 days, the checkbook says I can’t pay it. I look up and try to match his smile. “So, how old is Shihan and when and where did he slip his leash?”

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #42
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post

I know you're a guy because you actually LIKE

No woman would ever say that...

Best,
Ron (love that post...)
Both need beer and garlic sausage - then nobody cares about the smell. Toothbrush in the morning.
where are we?
W