Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #26
lbb
United_States
Re: What can I expect?

I'd go and watch a few classes, just to see if it looks like something you want to do. As you observe classes, base your decision about whether to train or not on what you see happening in front of you, not on claims you read in books or brochures or flyers. You can read plenty about transcendent moments and becoming a better person and all that good stuff, and who knows, it might happen some day...but you'd be better off simply assuming that your experience of training in aikido will be what you see happening in classes. If that doesn't look like something you'd like to do for several hours a week, find another activity that's more to your liking.

If you do decide to train, you can help yourself out by improving your fitness beforehand. Start by developing a base level of aerobic fitness with bicycling, running, swimming or any other aerobic activity -- you'll be able to find info on the web to develop a sensible progression. Incorporate after-exercise stretching, and learn what good stretching is so you do it safely and in ways that will be helpful. Since you're doing weights now, I'd suggest adjusting your workouts to focus on core strength if that's not already your focus. Skip the little wristy exercises like bicep curls, do stuff like squats, lunges, crunches, back extensions, bridges, bench press, etc. Exercises like these, while focused on the core, use most or all of the body, so you really don't need to do a gazillion exercises for different areas of your body -- half a dozen of the right exercises will do it all.

Have fun,
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
Courtney McLeary
United_States

I do ddr on heavy for a couple hours (4-6) a day and I would class that as an aerobic exercise. I do bench pressing and crunches sometimes, but I haven't been exercising too much besides ddr. I've lost some of my flexibility since I stopped TKD.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I think you can expect it to be a reflection of your tastes. Everyone finds their own way to do their aikido thing. No one can really explain aikido off of the mat, and every dojo is different. Every UKE is different.

I would look for a vibe I like. After all, there's a lot of contact and who wants to swap sweat with a pack of jerks?

Good luck and if it doesn't work out, it's cool . Lots of other things to do....

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Courtney McLeary wrote: View Post
I do ddr on heavy for a couple hours (4-6) a day and I would class that as an aerobic exercise. I do bench pressing and crunches sometimes, but I haven't been exercising too much besides ddr. I've lost some of my flexibility since I stopped TKD.
DDR as in Dance, Dance revolution? Excellent! Love that game, but due to an embarrassing incident involving a 3rd floor apartment and a grouchy neighbor, don't play it all that much anymore.

That's definitely hugely aerobic. Perhaps even interval training, since it's 3-5 minutes of intense exercise with a few minutes of rest between.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I read this somewhere and loved it:
"3 words - Dance Dance Revolution. So, I'm a little old for the arcade. But it's such a rush. Last week, I crushed the local champ. OK, she was 9, and her orthopedic shoe gave her a slight limp, but she was feisty. Her good leg was all over the place." -Rob
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
Walter Martindale
Canada

Still haven't seen an explanation of how the skin gets scuffed on the tops of the feet. This is called "mat burn" which is what can happen when tender skin rubs at a high rate of knots against rough canvas or vinyl coated training mats. Very similar to rope burn (try rappelling or abseiling without gloves, for example), but on the tops of the feet, or whatever you manage to slide across the mat.
Eventually you learn to move differently, and/or your skin gets tougher. In the meantime, mat burns get treated a lot like open blisters... And they're sure ouchy in the shower.
Walter