Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
roosvelt
Canada
Sword analogy

I've read quite a few chinese Kong Fu fictions. One of the books describe the deferent development stage of a swordsman.

1. Body/mind and sword be one.

where your sword is, your body/mind is there too. You're a good swordsman.

2. No sword in hand.

You don't need a sword in your hand. Any thing in your hand is a weapon. You can kill with tree branch, pencil and your bare hand. You're a excellent swordsman.

3. Body/mind is the word.

You're the sword. Need I say more?

4. No sword in the heart.

The highest level a swordsman can achieve. You can't be defected in this stage.

I suspect O'sensei realized the highest level of martial art. I doubt many Aikido yudansha achieve this level. But many talk and practice like they're in the highest level.

I suspect they haven't got to the basic level 1. The talks about love, harmony and fancy techniques make outsiders about the martial effectiveness of Aikido.

Disclaimer: I'm new to Aikido. My understanding is laughable.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Sword analogy

Well, I'd say there are certainly common themes throughout the martial arts. The beauty with abstract concepts like the ones you listed is that the mind can creatively apply them...that is, imagination and creativity go hand in hand with making sense of them.
Not quite sure what your message was about the yudansha talking about love and fancy technique. If you're saying Aikido technique is overly fancy, based on my personal experience, I'd have to disagree. Many people criticize the big circular movement we often practice with, but don't seem to understand that if you tighten those circles up, the effect is rather profound.
As for your analogy, I can't speak to the hierarchy. It seems to me much of what you decribed happens all at once. As we develop proficiency with the sword, we're developing proficiency with our body, of which the sword is but a tool.
Thinking about things like this is more fun than practical, though. It's good to exercise the mind and get it to think outside the box, but, speaking from a certain amount of experience in this regard, it's certainly no comparison to actually training.
Gambatte!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Sword analogy

If you want to know about aikido's relationship with the sword, study the Japanese sword and not Chinese 'kung fu' fictions. The relationship is complex, but can be studied.