Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #101
kokyu
Hong Kong
Re: Video of Seichiro Endo Shihan

I'm actually a bit curious. Besides Endo Sensei and Nakao Sensei, may I confirm that Yasuno Sensei and Kuribayashi Sensei also embody the style of Yamaguchi Sensei?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #102
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Hello Bryan,

The issue of Atheists, Believers and Agnostics has been an issue ever since Yamaguchi Sensei evolved his distinctive way of doing aikido in training seminars. I think the same issues exist for Endoh Sensei and for Isoyama Sensei (though in a different way).

If some shihan is posted on video, well, this opens out the discussion to the aikido 'chattering classes'. This is unavoidable, in my opinion. I think Stephane has a valid point, based on the videos.

In Hiroshima we have a whole stock of videos of Yamaguchi Sensei giving training seminars over a long period. They are not demonstrations (unlike the Endo video being discussed here), but the content is pretty similar, because Yamaguchi Sensei did not make much difference between his aikido in class and his aikido in demonstrations.

Actually, I think you are being too hard on Szczepan. Of course, he does not need my support to buttress the quality of his aikido. But it was very good to meet him in Tokyo and to see that he is an aikido mortal, just like the rest of us.

PS. Any chance of a get-together on your next visit to Japan--in Himeji or Hiroshima?
Hi Peter,

I don't think I'm being that hard on Szczepan, I've read enough of his post's over the years to know it's water of a duck's back. Whilst I agree that video's posted into the public domain open themselves for debate, I find it a shame that people that have been practicing Aikido for any length of time find the need to criticize others so much. I'm not defending Endo sensei specifically, but making a sweeping statement like this

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk]
What Yamaguchi and Endo sensei propose is reinversed process - they want to build sophistication without any basics. This is very funny.
without having any experience of the teachers in question is disapointing, maybe Szczepan just likes to be "gomasuri"? On the basis of video footage alone, many have similar opinions about Kaiso and his uke's, but you don't generally get that feedback from Aikido practicioners, only when it comes to other teachers. If you go and practice with someone and you're not that impressed, I don't have a problem voicing an opinion, but on the basis of a video...... we should be exhibiting better standards.

With regards to my next trip, I'm currently saving v. hard for to come over next Easter. Another get together would be fun, I look forward to it.

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #103
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
I'm actually a bit curious. Besides Endo Sensei and Nakao Sensei, may I confirm that Yasuno Sensei and Kuribayashi Sensei also embody the style of Yamaguchi Sensei?
Kuribayashi and Yasuno were deshi of Yamaguchi.

R
Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #104
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

When I watch aikido videos I never think 'this is a realistic attack and the person uke is doing everything he can to defend himself'. Indeed, if that was the case aikido would look better with inexperienced ukes rather than experienced ukes surely?!

When you watch Ueshiba I believe almost all the time he is illustrating the use of blending, rather than showing a realistic defence. However, it is the rare occasions where an uke does something unexpected where the real ability of Ueshiba is shown, in that he can instantly adapt and can throw quite quickly and powerfully (yet with little effort). I did not see any of these such occasions presented because the ukes pretty much seemed to fit in well with what was happening, so in my opinion it is very hard to say anything either positive or negative about this other than it looked nice as a demo.

It's always wrong to confuse dojo training with real attacks. I believe when you train you should understand what you are training to achieve, and thus can put it in context (hence my signature). I didn't particularly feel like I learnt anything from the video, but maybe it would have been different if I'd had some supporting oral tuition from him as well.

Thus, although my sentiments edge towards those of Szczepan (whom I see as a great advocate in the war against politically correct hippies), I would reserve my judgement for now.

Last edited by ian : 10-08-2006 at 06:03 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #105
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Kuribayashi and Yasuno were deshi of Yamaguchi.
R
Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #106
NagaBaba

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Hi Peter,

I don't think I'm being that hard on Szczepan, I've read enough of his post's over the years to know it's water of a duck's back. Whilst I agree that video's posted into the public domain open themselves for debate, I find it a shame that people that have been practicing Aikido for any length of time find the need to criticize others so much. I'm not defending Endo sensei specifically, but making a sweeping statement like this
Me I think it is a shame that some techers show useless exercises that distract attention of students from martial element of aikido, and direct the student's developement on sterile way.
Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
without having any experience of the teachers in question is disapointing, maybe Szczepan just likes to be "gomasuri"?
How do you know that, Bryan? Actually I participated in few seminars with Yamaguchi and Endo senseis. And I did practice with some of their students.

As O sensei said: aikido it is matter of Life and Death.
There is on old saying from Himalaya:
Life is separated from Death by only a fraction a second. During this time one must decide and his decision must be Right one. Aikido develops such capacity.
I hope now you understand that leght of video is more than enough to see the True.

Last edited by NagaBaba : 10-09-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #107
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Are you talking about Seigo Yamaguchi Sensei? If so when did you participate in his seminars?

I think you need a little more hands on experience with these types of teachers before you get so full of yourself. Frankly Szcepan what you don't know would fill volumes. I would try to be more tactful with you but frankly I think it is lost on you. Your opinions are inflammatory and tactless. Perhaps it is due to poor communication skills on my part but you seem to be opinionated, snappish, and critical beyond reason and knowledge.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Actually I participated in few seminars with Yamaguchi and Endo senseis. And I did practice with some of their students.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #108
NagaBaba

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
Are you talking about Seigo Yamaguchi Sensei? If so when did you participate in his seminars?

I think you need a little more hands on experience with these types of teachers before you get so full of yourself. Frankly Szcepan what you don't know would fill volumes. I would try to be more tactful with you but frankly I think it is lost on you. Your opinions are inflammatory and tactless. Perhaps it is due to poor communication skills on my part but you seem to be opinionated, snappish, and critical beyond reason and knowledge.
Hi Dennis,
I hope you are doing well. I don't think ppl are very interested to read about my personal qualities, instead, I propose go back to the topic, if you allow me?
I wonder, why every time, when somebody who has chosen to start aikido where O sensei finished, can't find any rational argument to back up this strange approach, he does personal attacks, instead of discussing a topic.

You are a shihan, may be you can explain me, why you still consider aikido something that is lacking martial element?
I'm very interested how I can learn spiritual dimension from such demo?

How it is possible to do practice 'ludique' of the Budo, as another shihan and direct student of S.Yamaguchi sensei repeats at almost every his seminar?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #109
Dennis Hooker

Szcepan, that is what I get for posting before coffee in the morning, my meanness shows. Sorry.

Yamaguchi Sensei is dead why do you refer to him as if he was still alive? You make derogatory statements about the fundamental abilities of men that have dedicated their life to the study of Aikido. Don't be upset if some people don't like that. They attempt to make their lives' and the lives of those people around them better through martial principles. That to me is a laudable thing. I have trained with these people at both ends of the spectrum of physical contact and I believe making a definitive statement about a lacking in their skills is unjustified. If you truly believe someone's stuff don't work then go after them on the mat. You will either prove your point or get broken. I have done both in my quest to learn Aikido. I have seen shihans such as you degrade slap down other shiahns some people thought were tough guys and to be admired. One thing I hope you learn is that things are not always as they seem. As far as martial principle is concerned and as far as life and death are concerned I have not met a Japanese Shihan yet that has been to war. This doesn't detract from their skill but lets put thing into perspective OK.

www.shindai.com
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #110
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
How it is possible to do practice 'ludique' of the Budo, as another shihan and direct student of S.Yamaguchi sensei repeats at almost every his seminar?
This is an interesting question. You might wish to refer to the Precautions for Aikido Training set down by Ueshiba Morihei in response to a request from his senior students:

Quote:
3. Always train in a vibrant and joyful manner.

4. The instructor can only impart a small portion of the teaching. Only through ceaseless training can you obtain the necessary experience to bring these mysteries alive.
Full text and more at:

http://www.aikidoonline.com/Features/WhatisAikido.htm

This would seem to indicate to me that a) the notion of a "ludique" in this Budo precedes Yamaguchi Sensei and his followers and b) any attempt to verballly explain "how is it possible" runs so directly against the grain of precaution four that the request for such an explanation may be "useless."

Or maybe that's just my reading.

Best regards,

FL
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #111
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I believe that the vast majority of posters here value tact, politeness, humility, consideration, respect and the like. If you do not value these things that´s OK, but do not post here, as this is a community with a set of norms and values.

This is normally voiced as a strong request by our moderator, I would ask for it a condition of participation.

Manners ARE Martial, rude people die quickly.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #112
Dennis Hooker

Little Sensei thank you for the reminder on the Precautions. Although they are in the ASU Handbook I don't reread them nearly enough and sometimes get a bit sideways myself on the issue. As always you draw things together with a few words and a wealth of knowledge.

[quote=Fred Little]This is an interesting question. You might wish to refer to the Precautions for Aikido Training set down by Ueshiba Morihei in response to a request from his senior students:

www.shindai.com
Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #113
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote:
Really nice clip of Seichiro Endo Shihan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrcU...elated&search=

Especially the morote dori kokyo-ho and the iriminage between 02:07 and 02:25
everything looks so fake and choreographed. no wonder people don't think Aikido works, or that it's too soft.

i'm very impressed with his posture throughout the whole thing. he was really screwed in the entire time.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #114
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote:
everything looks so fake and choreographed. no wonder people don't think Aikido works, or that it's too soft..
btw, i just meant to say that he makes it look very easy
Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #115
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Like Michael Jordan makes basketball look easy.