Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States
yikes, $55!

Hi everyone,
I have a simple question that might lead into an interesting discussion.
I went to www.womeninaikido.com to hopefully purchase the video on women aikido teachers. The DVD costs $55! Is is just me or is that A LOT to pay for a video? I understand that it is a film made by an individual who needs to at least break even... Whether or not it is reasonable, there is NO WAY I can pay for that in my current situation, but I would really like to have it and I would like to support the creator with a purchase.
Any suggestions for me??? Or comments about the situation in general?
Thanks
Gaia

Old 10-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
ahmacrom
Canada
Re: yikes, $55!

Hi,

Not just that,I checked out a popular books and movie site
(that starts w/ A and I think is a river somewhere in South America),but when I did an aikido dvd search,for 30 minutes on a dvd! the prices were $29 , $55 ,$49 for 30 minute dvd's!
There is also a 3 dvd set at a whopping 30 minutes per dvd for $75 ! American.
What the?

As a person just starting in Aikido,I'll stick w/ lessons.
Or borrow.
Peace!
Dan S
Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Hogan

Budo video has it a LITTLE cheaper.

Maybe wait for ebay a little longer - it might show up there at some point.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Gaia Thurston-Shaine wrote:
The DVD costs $55! Is is just me or is that A LOT to pay for a video?
Its not just you. It's a bit much for my current budget also.

Quote:
I understand that it is a film made by an individual who needs to at least break even...
It is targeted at a very small, specialized segment of society so they have to make up the production cost/unit. They aren't going to have the luxury of covering costs over a large scale distribution. Still, it costs more than I can afford so I probably won't be purchasing it.

Quote:
Any suggestions for me???
You could see if people in the dojo would be willing to chip in for a dojo copy.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Hi,

I know $55 may sound like a lot of money...but think about the many years of effort the instructors of the DVD have put into it, before simply looking at it as a large expense for a 1/2 hour video. I'll guarantee you, no one is getting rich off of them; like someone has already pointed out, its not like these videos get widespread distribution. Also, if it is truly something you feel you will purchase and use over and over again, then you are getting a lot more than just 30 minutes of viewing from it. I have purchased many videos over the years that I have simply worn out from the viewing, so a DVD is a great medium for something like an Aikido training video...the more you watch it, the cheaper it gets .
Just something that I feel needs to be said, and this is by no means directed at Gaia (or anyone else in particulare) or a judgment on what you would or wouldn't do, but please NEVER make pirated copies of these Aikido video tapes/DVDs. Remember that the instructors who make these videos have given years of their lives before they have arrived at a place where they have the expertise to make an instructional video. It would be stealing from them and dishonoring their contribution to the art to pirate copies. Don't fall prey to the need for immediate gratification, if it is something you really want, save up for a few months till it isn't one big wallop in the pocketbook. In the meantime, you always get to practice, right?

-Mike
Old 10-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
mj

It doesn't matter what it costs..what matters is what it is worth.

I would pay hundreds of pounds for a good copy of a film I loved, I would pay nothing for something I did not care for.

The fact is that some Aiki DVDs, some Videos and some Books are hideously expensive imo.

Others are worth their weight in gold to me. Terry Dobson "It's a lot like dancing" just...well it just stuns me to read it. Then again I have signed first editions of other aikido books and I wouldn't let my kids read them coz they are so bad.

My advice for videos and dvds is to form a group of 3 people, if a product is good all 3 end up buying it anyway.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:28 AM   #7
spin13
Japan

Does anybody know where you can find a full list of the women who are on the video? I would assume DiAnne Shihan, and if I'm thinking of the right video, Coryl Craine Sensei. I trained only briefly with Craine Sensei, but if her skill is any judgement of the quality of the film, especially considering that the acknowledgement of Shihan is a step above and beyond, then this definitely seems worth it to anybody into videos. I can't speak for the footage itself, but I'd vouche for the women.

-Eric
Old 10-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I went to www.womeninaikido.com to hopefully purchase the video on women aikido teachers. The DVD costs $55! Is is just me or is that A LOT to pay for a video?
Th is right in the standard range for martial arts videos. The going rate is somewhere around $40 - $50+ for a sixty minute DVD. Some ar more expensive (either being more money or less time on the video).

Making videos is quite expensive if any professional time is required. Even if one does ones own, the amount you invest in equipment is substantial. We have about $15000 in video related euipment and computer editing gear at my own dojo. The videos we've sold so far don't cover the cost of that investment. So I would say that this video represents a good value assuming some level of quality on the shooting itself.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 AM   #9
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

There is a list of the featured seseis at www.womeninaikido.com.
Thanks for the input guys... I wish I could afford to purchase it! Perhaps I'll ask my parents for it at Christmas! How old do you have to be for this trick to not work any more?! ;-)
Gaia

Old 10-27-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

<
Quote:
You could see if people in the dojo would be willing to chip in for a dojo copy.
>

If you do this, make a bunch of copies and sell some to get your money back! If you do this let me know and I'll buy a copy from you.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 10-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #11
Yokaze

Dojo: Five Dragons
United_States

Not that I'm condoning piracy, but usually you can find that kind of stuff on Kazaa or Limewire. Sadly, that is sometimes the only way to get something so expensive.

So if you don't mind stealing, that might be an option.

"The only true victory is victory over oneself."

Rob Cunningham
3rd Kyu

Icon courtesy of Norbert Knoll http://www.aikido-verein-hannover.de
Old 10-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
akiy

As I have writen here in these Forums before:

If I could just jump in and ask people to please stop discussing the active sharing of copyrighted material on this site... Although I'm all for the exchange of information and such, I still do subscribe to the notion of materials being under copyright. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

I paid the 55$ and am very happy with my purchase. The dvd is excellent.

Charles Hill
Old 10-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #14
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys... I wish I could afford to purchase it! Perhaps I'll ask my parents for it at Christmas! How old do you have to be for this trick to not work any more?! ;-)
Gaia
I don't know, but I'd suggest you keep trying until it doesn't!

Kevin.
Who's parent's stopped asking him for a Christmas list years ago.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

The dvd was made by Malory Graham (my sensei) who is a professional vidio producer. The quality (content and design and editing) is very good.

Jeanne Shepard
Old 10-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #16
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I went to www.womeninaikido.com to hopefully purchase the video on women aikido teachers. The DVD costs $55! Is is just me or is that A LOT to pay for a video? I understand that it is a film made by an individual who needs to at least break even... Whether or not it is reasonable, there is NO WAY I can pay for that in my current situation, but I would really like to have it and I would like to support the creator with a purchase.
Any suggestions for me??? Or comments about the situation in general?
When that DVD first came out I too went "yikes!" at the price and e-mailed the producer (Malory Graham) about it. I'd want to check first before forwarding her reply to this forum but in summary, I was quite satisfied with the answer and $55, though still on the high end, seems like a fair price given the effort needed to make this particular video.

I did not get the video at that time but I've seen a number of good reports from those that have purchased it. It's in my queue to get but first I need to get through a few books/videos I already have...
Old 10-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #17
jester

United_States

10 dollars per paycheck for 6 weeks and you have it!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:24 PM   #18
Michael Neal

Are the women in the womeninaikido.com video good looking? that might make it worth it