Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Passing of Robert Koga Sensei

Posted 2013-09-15 15:55:19 by Michael Hackett

Robert Koga Sensei passed away peacefully on September 8th, surrounded by friends and family after contracting mesothelioma. A celebration of his life will be held sometime in the next 30-45 days. The Koga Institute will continue to operate with his senior instructors according to his wishes.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States
Re: Passing of Robert Koga Sensei

Sincere condolences to the bereaved family, friends and colleagues of the late Koga Sensei. He was an early pioneer of sharing Aikido beyond the confines of the traditional dojo setting, introducing and developing his Aikido ideas with the Los Angeles Police and its cadet training department.

He will be missed, but his example will be carried forth as he envisioned.

May he Rest in the Peace he so richly deserves.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Bob Koga wasn't a mainstream aikido instructor and wasn't known for his beautiful and flowing aikido. As a Los Angeles police officer he recognized that officers of his department weren't well trained for physical altercations in the 1950s. In those days defensive tactics training largely amounted to striking suspects and frequently both officer and suspect would end up in a brawl that left both injured and bleeding. Bob believed strongly that there was a better way. He began by taking from both judo and aikido those techniques that could be easily learned, could be performed well without years of practice and training, and could be applied effectively. That grew into the Koga Method and after years of testing at the LAPD Academy was ultimately adopted by the department. Eventually the techniques that Bob Koga developed and taught were adopted by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) and were taught at least in part to every peace officer in California. Over the years those same practices were adopted across the United States by the vast majority of police agencies. Today it is pretty difficult to see the difference in a "single arm take-down" and ikkyo. At least those of us who served, or are serving in law enforcement owe a great debt to Robert Koga Sensei.

Over-riding his great skill as a teacher and trainer was his sense of humor and spirit of fun. He will be missed and I'm certainly grateful for having known him.

No Give Up!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Bob Koga wasn't a mainstream aikido instructor and wasn't known for his beautiful and flowing aikido. As a Los Angeles police officer he recognized that officers of his department weren't well trained for physical altercations in the 1950s. In those days defensive tactics training largely amounted to striking suspects and frequently both officer and suspect would end up in a brawl that left both injured and bleeding. Bob believed strongly that there was a better way. He began by taking from both judo and aikido those techniques that could be easily learned, could be performed well without years of practice and training, and could be applied effectively. That grew into the Koga Method and after years of testing at the LAPD Academy was ultimately adopted by the department. Eventually the techniques that Bob Koga developed and taught were adopted by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) and were taught at least in part to every peace officer in California. Over the years those same practices were adopted across the United States by the vast majority of police agencies. Today it is pretty difficult to see the difference in a "single arm take-down" and ikkyo. At least those of us who served, or are serving in law enforcement owe a great debt to Robert Koga Sensei.

Over-riding his great skill as a teacher and trainer was his sense of humor and spirit of fun. He will be missed and I'm certainly grateful for having known him.

No Give Up!
thanx for this mike.

i have to find the article that first brought mr koga's 'aikido' to my attention. how he had the 'blessing' from tohei sensei to develop a more tactical movement for LEOs.

and in that article, he mentioned the motto of his school, which came from when some judoka would visit from japan to compete and train. they'd fight, throw, pin, and as he was on the verge of exhaustion, would tell him 'no giva up.'

the man will be missed

RIP

practice hard
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Thank you, Michael, for posting this sad news. I’ve been out of the loop for several years and wasn’t aware that Bob was ill. He will always be an important figure in my life.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

I'd heard the name, but I didn't know much at all about Robert Koga.

Here is a nice clip of him I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82nD9IlYqRg

I like that. Very practical and calm and effective.

Alex
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
I'd heard the name, but I didn't know much at all about Robert Koga.

Here is a nice clip of him I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82nD9IlYqRg

I like that. Very practical and calm and effective.

Alex
``````````````Hi Alex,
As you stated the vid showed no fancy dan stuff. Just good old joint locks etc.A bit of old school waza. Cheers, Joe,
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

Compassion and Condolences.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!