Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
jaxonbrown
Training with tough disabilities

Tough as in real tough like blindness or stoma that requires a colostomy bag or having one leg/arm amputated. I sometimes worry about life dealing a hard knock which would keep me from training to my fullest potential. A week ago, I had a close call where I almost got t-boned by some nut job in traffic. That got me thinking about how important it was to me to be able to train because it's one of my emotional outlets. If I got balled up in some car wreck and had to live out of a hospital bed I'd go nuts. Is it possible to train effectively with a serious impairment? Can people still use kokyu power when they have prosthetic arms or legs and whatnot?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #2
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters
I have got diabetes lupus knee problems and kidney problems from the lupus i have had knee problems since i was 11 i did do karate and had to give it up so three or four years ago i joined aikido i am now a 5th kyu which i just passed on the 8th july 03 i can't do some moves because my doctor has said so i don't do shikko or tenkan on knees i can just about do hammi handachi shionage (iriminage)i do find it quite hard but i still keep on going i do thursday and sat ladies class.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
jeda
It seems I heard about an aikidoka that had no arms.... or maybe it was one arm; I don't recall the entire story.

IMO, anything can be done with enough will and determination, including aikido with a disability.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 85b7bead
Anonymous User
Hi Jaxon, I have heard about Aikido even on wheelchairs.

"What worries you masters you."

Haddon W. Robinson
Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 AM   #5
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: d86cd800
Anonymous User
Quote:
() wrote:
Hi Jaxon, I have heard about Aikido even on wheelchairs.

"What worries you masters you."

Haddon W. Robinson
Was it 'effective' aikido in a wheelchair? I guess it doesnt have to be since some aikidoka do it for the ki or zen side instead of the arm-ripping-out side.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:36 AM   #6
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: d86cd800
Anonymous User
Quote:
vikki kelly (the slayer) wrote:
I have got diabetes lupus knee problems and kidney problems from the lupus i have had knee problems since i was 11 i did do karate and had to give it up so three or four years ago i joined aikido i am now a 5th kyu which i just passed on the 8th july 03 i can't do some moves because my doctor has said so i don't do shikko or tenkan on knees i can just about do hammi handachi shionage (iriminage)i do find it quite hard but i still keep on going i do thursday and sat ladies class.
Excellent. keep on pluggin
Old 07-30-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
I remember feeling sorry for myself years ago when my thumb was in a brace -- a fellow student delivered a tsuki, and while trying for kotegaishi I took the punch with my thumb. Partially tore a ligament, permanently lost some range of motion.

While training with my brace on, two guest yudansha dropped by. One had a totally mangled or deformed hand, looked completely useless. The guy's aikido was kick ASS, in terms of his technique and in terms of his dive-right-in-there enthusiasm. I felt really inspired by his example and realized that (1) I have a lot to be thankful for, (2) while I am at all physically capable I will bring what I got to the mat.

Anyone who follows BJJ knows who Jean-Jacques Machado is. Possibly the very best BJJ martial artist on the planet. He has a deformed hand that can barely grab anything. Another source of real inspiration; that guy is a total legend.

So yeah, I believe it is possible to train effectively, where "effectively" means at your own personal edge. Where that is, that is personal to everybody and probably does not matter. The benefit is in pushing your own limits, consistently. IMHO anyway

, can't find m s
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM   #8
jeda
Quote:
Was it 'effective' aikido in a wheelchair?
Molly Hale tested for her sandan from her wheelchair.

This year she's a guest at aikiexpo.

Sounds like effective aikido to me.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
I know of a sensei in Boise who only has one arm (Alajandro (sp?)). I ran into him again in Denver at the Saito Sensei Seminar in February. He has great technique, and was quite fun to work with and learn from.

Last year I had a partial seperation in my shoulder. I couldn't do anything for about 6 months and then I've been slowly getting back into action (it really sux!!!!). But since I don't like to sit back all the time and watch others get thrown around (jealousy!!! ), I'd get up and try something. During this time we had some people come in and they were able to show me some one-armed techniques. It was fun, and it taught me a lot about adaptability. You have to get it at your level and then take it beyond!

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 05-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters
Re: Training with tough disabilities

as you now know on my other thread i passed my 4th kyu yesterday but did take my grading in 2 halves think this helped. so anyone can do aikido through any disability i always get asked to tell the beginners what i have and how long i have been in aikido i don't mind saying what i have got.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

We have a nidan in our dojo that only has the use of one arm. The other he keeps in a sling. He has adjusted Aikido to work for him and I can say he has very strong Aikido.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:01 AM   #12
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

When someone mentioned to me that Molly Hale could not 'really' defend herself, I simply replied that she was defending herself from being paralyzed
Old 05-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Vikki Kelly wrote:
as you now know on my other thread i passed my 4th kyu yesterday but did take my grading in 2 halves think this helped. so anyone can do aikido through any disability.
Congrats!!!
It is important for a person with a disability to be able to articulate: this is what I can do, this is what is off limits, these are the adaptations that can be made. Training partners really appreciate having it clearly stated, so they are not afraid of accidentally breaking us, and can have fun training with us! And a good instructor will enjoy helping figure out how to adapt "standard" technique for us.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

One of my highlights of the Aiki Expo was from Molly Hale and working from a wheelchair. Truly a humbling experience of insight and inspiration.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Excellent thread people! Some truly inspiring people out there. Just under a month ago I had a very close run in with a shinken, it went across my little finger, into the base of my ring finger and then into my palm about an inch. It didnt hurt (probably becuase it was a deep tissue injury and the sword was very sharp) but it looked so bad people thought it had actually separated the hand all the way through (thank christ it didnt). Lots of blood is a tad misleading

Anyways, I was very lucky in that it missed all the tendons and bones, it seems to have caused some nerve damage in that some feeling in the ring finger is compromised (feels half anatheized) but I still have a full range of motion.

I was due to take my 1st kyu in 2 weeks time but thats now been set back I reckon, so i was a bit sorry for myself, but hey, the cut finally healed over fully yesterday, so im not walkign around with an open wound! And I will still be able to train as normal and play guitar and do all the things i love. Im off to Ireland next weekend with my instructor to a karate school he's going to do a few classes for and i'll be able to get on the mat and train (carefully mind ). I'll still be able to take my ikkyu in a couple of months time, so it just gives me more time to train for it and i think i'll be more foccussed this time.

So hey, things are actually pretty good and I realise that I should thank my lucky stars.

Edit PS:

Forgot to say how this made me realise that i could have been permanently disabled and that I probably would have coped badly with that. But if others out there are adapting themselves so well then i think that there is hope for us all. Aikido in all its variety is a beautiful thing.

Last edited by Nick Simpson : 06-02-2005 at 06:07 AM.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.