Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2002, 04:31 PM   #26
paw
thinking aloud....

Brian,

I guess what prompted my question was seeing images of the bulletman suit. The oversized headpiece is there to presumably protect the head from impact. But I can imagine that by wearing one there would be techniques that I would hesitate to try because of it. For example, how would I attempt to tackle someone while wearing such a large headpiece? Wouldn't attempting a tackle while wearing a bulletman suit make it much easier to defend?

This got me thinking to how much the suit might limit the movement of the attacker(s), and as a result does the suit itself place the attacker(s) at a disadvantage? Maybe that's a necessary restriction for safety, or maybe it's something that you adapt to after you've worn the suit long enough, or maybe it's part of the progression in this type of training. Don't know...just thinking out loud.

Regards,

Paul
Old 05-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #27
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: thinking aloud....

Quote:
Originally posted by paw

This got me thinking to how much the suit might limit the movement of the attacker(s), and as a result does the suit itself place the attacker(s) at a disadvantage?
Hi Paul,

The entire suit weighs 35 lbs, and the groin protection is very bulky, causing the bulletman to walk kinda funny between attacks (..*LOL*... like he has a load in his pants ;^) ...but boy do they compensate for it once they attack! ...those guys move so fast!!! It's amazing!

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 05-06-2002, 04:48 PM   #28
SeiserL

United_States
Adrenal Stress Training

IMHO, one of the best thing to know is never to confuse practice with training, training with sparing, sparing with fighting, and fighting with combat.

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai AIkido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD
Old 05-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #29
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Adreneline rush ...

Be careful when reaching for the Adreneline rush, it may work, and it may not?

As long as fear, anger, or rage is a motivator, the adreneline from those emotional catalysts are powerful and short lived, even if they are convenient at that moment.

However, if you can use the same adreneline in the application of Iron arm, the calm controled adreneline feed that is gained by letting your mind believe there is nothing impossible or more important than the present ... that is to say, no thoughts of the past or future are considered, only the present moment and its importance is life itself, then the clarity of mind with the strength of body is practically doubled in this clarity.

Everyone has a moment of strength that is remembered as "I don't know how I did it, but I did."

Learning to drawn upon emotions without being controled by them .... adreneline rush.

Next time you do a throw, take all the emotions that have been bottled up, and focus them beyond your partner as if they being thrown out of your body and beyond your partner. Silly? Try it. Focus your techniques across the room, never at your partner but past him/her into empty space across the room, and see if your power is not at least doubled?

If you start to have shaky hands, or become dizzy, stop and rest. Discontinue practice until your strength returns.

If you have ever had a moment of everyone moving slower and slower, this is one way to have that happen if you continue to train with this method.

I wonder if actually hitting someone with full power is really a good training method, or merely a way to instill confidence to use what you already know to its full potential?

It probably is like everything else in life. Once you have done it a hundred times, it becomes old hat?
Old 05-08-2002, 09:13 PM   #30
particleman151
Dojo: YMCA Akido/ Appleton, WI
lol sounds like star wars...

fear leads to anger
anger leads to hate
hate leads to suffering

A true warrior uses the greatest weapon... The art of Peace.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:04 AM   #31
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: Adreneline rush ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
Be careful when reaching for the Adreneline rush, it may work, and it may not?
Hello Bruce,

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I must say that I disagree with virtually everything you stated about dealing with the adrenaline rush. What you said 'sounds' pretty good, but from my experience, it just doesn't hold water. I won't refute your posting line-by-line because I believe your basic premise is where you're off base.

OK, when you're suddenly attacked, your limbic system (aka: 'Frog' brain) takes over & dumps the adrenaline into your blood stream. At this point your cognitive system virtually shuts down. In your posting you stated: "...the calm controled adreneline feed that is gained by letting your mind believe there is nothing impossible or more important than the present ... that is to say, no thoughts of the past or future are considered, only the present moment and its importance is life itself, then the clarity of mind with the strength of body is practically doubled in this clarity." I do not believe you will have the capability of this type of thought or mind/body control. I know that I didn't!

It is my experience that the adrenaline rush is anything but a "calm controled adreneline feed". It hits you like a sledge hammer, you get tunnel vision, audio exclusion, and time seems to slow down. The only thing going through my mind was: HIT HIM!!! ...HIT HIM SOME MORE!!! Hitting your attacker full power is the only option you have ...it's ALL or NOTHING in this situation.

But that's just my experience, you might have handled it differently.

Regards,

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 05-09-2002 at 10:55 AM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"