Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-07-2022, 10:14 PM   #26
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: What is power?

I'm a biomechanics guy - power is work divided by time. move faster, more power. move more weight in the same time also more power. power is aggressive movement. connect your point of contact with uke to your core by being properly 'braced' (look up Stuart McGill's work on core strength) and apply your entire body mass to accelerating uke to the floor. Not so much in training, though, you want uke to not be knocked out when you throw them - in the dojo that is... Street? that's another story.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #27
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I like McGill's stuff - especially with regard to mobility work being an important consideration for stability under heavier workloads. I think a big difference in what I've seen with regard to Western approaches to explosive power is well represented when he talks about stiffening the muscles to create the natural "belt" - there's a notion there that is perpetuated in the "strong first" methodology in building strength/power whereby you have your core lifts/training, your stability work, some dynamic power training, and I'm a big fan of those results as I think they are functionally awesome and enhance a lot of life/athletic activities.

I also think a key difference is in how Eastern vs. Western methods account for creating a cohesive and connected body - how much is focused early on the subconscious management of forces via mind-directed-intent inside an individual as well as when paired off with another VS. progressive performance under stress and load. The conditioning aspects are also different - I think both aim for "whole body" approaches but Western is more straightforward explosive power and mobility and I think achievable in shorter durations of focused effort while Eastern requires more dedicated focused training on specific patterns that take longer fundamentally to wire together the bone muscle tissue, develop middle/dantien/etc. and connect them with mind-body-breath-intention in a way that creates less obvious but still whole-body "elastic" power.

By the way, not trying to claim is superior to another - just like different styles of martial arts were created with different purposes and contexts - and there's ever more and more ways to train - I'm more or less looking at the macro suites of skills and methods to develop them. The devil will be in the details and I think most important in either approach is having someone knowledgeable to help you get started, while giving feedback and brokering introductions with the right communities along the way to help you improve and progress.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 08-21-2022, 04:09 AM   #28
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Make sure to constantly develop your own power - kokyu style, while at the same time learning all the waza, and then trying to use them while neutralising uke's power, thereby making your own 'power' much more effective.