Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Marketplace

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Aikido Extensions with Bruce Bookman

Aikido Journal just released a stunning new course with Bruce Bookman called Aikido Extensions.

I feel that this is not only one of the best Aikido instructionals ever produced, but a definitive answer for bringing aliveness and practicality to the art.

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

https://academy.aikidojournal.com/p/...bookman-detail

Discover Who You Are

www.roydean.tv
Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
StephanS

Dojo: Enighet
Sweden
Re: Aikido Extensions with Bruce Bookman

How sure are we that this is not an Jiu Jitsu course in Aikido clothing?
(And given that Aikido stems from Jiu Jitsu, would that even be an issue for a basic video?)

Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

Bookman-sensei taught a surprise class on this a few days ago (Sunday, 22 July, to be specific) at Birankai Summer Camp. It was a bit abridged from the Aikido Journal course, but it was incredibly fun! He made the point a couple times, "I'm not trying to make you a jujitsu person or a boxer, but it's good to know a little!" Based on what we covered in the class, I felt that his implied point was that it is "good to know a little", so you can know what else could happen if you were forced to use aikido techniques outside the dojo, and how to respond to that "what else" in a way that gets you back to aikido.

For example, he showed (as in the video course) that kaitennage used against a wrestler or BJJ person could possibly lead to that other person going for a double or single leg takedown. What's an aikidoist to do at that point? Sensei taught us iriminage and sutemi waza responses.

Similarly, he covered uke rolling through an ikkyo pin and "crushing the jab" (as he calls it).

Outside the dojo, I have a group of buddies I occasionally get together and do some boxing or wrestling. So far, we've kept the two sports separate (as far as sparring/rolling goes), but I'm going to see if they are willing to mix it up enough to try out some of what Sensei taught.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
lbb
United_States

Quote:
James Frankiewicz wrote: View Post
Bookman-sensei taught a surprise class on this a few days ago (Sunday, 22 July, to be specific) at Birankai Summer Camp.
This was a fun class! Of course, for the technique where you shoot the leg, I ended up working with a really nice guy who said partway through, "So...confession time, I used to be a linebacker." BOOM!