Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Aiki-Write by Lynn Seiser

Discuss the article, "Aiki-Write" by Lynn Seiser here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/lseiser/2006_11.html
Old 11-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Ben Joiner
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Wales
Re: Article: Aiki-Write by Lynn Seiser

I really like the analogy although for me it works best in terms of both reading AND writing, tori and uke if you will. You begin by learning your alphabet - basic movements etc, then progress through putting those basic blocks together to form, in a stilted fashion, simple words IE C-A-T Cat! Most who persevere long enough can progress through this stage to the point where it is possible to write/read whole sentences and paragraphs. Some get to the point where they are able to construct/digest whole arguments or books, but few indeed are those who can distill everything they have learned back into a few lines of poetry.

From someone who's still delighted by C-A-T Cat!

Ben
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Ben Joiner wrote:
I really like the analogy although for me it works best in terms of both reading AND writing, tori and uke if you will.
Thank you for getting my point.

I hope we all learn to read and write effortlessly, to retain the knowledge, and to minimize the amount of words it takes to express and communicate our message.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
K Stewart
United_States

I have always enjoyed your essays, and I thank you for this one.

As a fellow writer, there's another analogy I see between writing and Aikido: the commitment necessary to accomplish anything, and the even greater effort needed to improve.

I head up a small writer's group, and we have a small core of dedicated members who have been coming to this meeting since the group started 10+ years ago. We meet once a month for two hours. That's it. Not a huge commitment in the time department, and meetings are always the same third Thursday night, so it's pretty easy to put on one's calendar.

We welcome anyone interested in writing, whether they're actively writing or just thinking about writing. Most of our dedicated members currently or in the past have made their livings from writing. Yet there are no egos. Everyone is so willing to share with the newcomers and help them learn the ropes in the writing field.

Hmmmm, it's a lot like the dojo.

We frequently have newcomers attend who have the "I want to be a writer" stars in their eyes. They really like the IDEA of being a writer--the "glamour" (ha, ha), the bylines, the recognition, etc. But many times they aren't doing the one thing that will take them from "wanting to be" a writer into "being" a writer. They simply don't just sit their fannies in a chair and write!

These are often also the people who tell me they're just too tired or too busy or too unmotivated or too depressed to make this month's two-hour meeting, but they'll be sure to attend next month...but they usually don't come back. And that's OK. It's up to them the path they choose. Our group will be there when they are ready.

You know this better than anyone: writing can be grueling. It's hard. It's painful. It takes strength and determination to sit at the computer on a lovely day when you'd rather be outside because you have a deadline. It takes the mental fortitude to get rejected, take it in stride, and keep working toward a goal.

When I first started training in Aikido last February, our wonderful Sensei said, "The hardest part of Aikido is walking through the door." As a brand-new beginner, this had a huge effect on me. It was up to ME to make the commitment to come to class and work hard. Nobody could make me walk through that door except me. Do or don't do; don't try. Otherwise, I'd be yet another student with stars in their eyes about "I want to learn Aikido," who would come train a few times and leave.

Of course, there's more to learning Aikido than walking through the door, but if one doesn't even step into the dojo, not a lot of training can take place. Beyond that basic commitment to come to class, there's the commitment to maintain awareness in class, to work hard, to see how one can work even harder, to practice at home, to keep working toward the next level, to shed the ego that gets in the way of good training, and to shed even more as more rough parts emerge. It can be grueling. It's hard. It's painful. And there's nothing better or more rewarding.

Aikido's hard. Writing's hard. They both take incredible commitment and dedication to a lifetime of improvement. But the joy after finishing a well-crafted writing project that makes you say, "Yes! I'm proud of that!" or bowing out after an especially challenging (and therefore rewarding) class is immeasurable.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us and taking the risk to be visible and vulnerable.

Kara
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Kara Stewart wrote:
Aikido's hard. Writing's hard. They both take incredible commitment and dedication to a lifetime of improvement. But the joy after finishing a well-crafted writing project that makes you say, "Yes! I'm proud of that!" or bowing out after an especially challenging (and therefore rewarding) class is immeasurable.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us and taking the risk to be visible and vulnerable.
Yes, yes, yes.

Thank you kindred spirit.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

I've often thought that I'd like to sit down and write a short story. I've had a few pretty neat ideas, but I never really find the time between working, teaching and parenting.

I'll admit that I'm a little scared too. I've only taken one English Comp. course; What business do I have writing anything?!

I was a little scared the first day I walked into the dojo eight years ago, so maybe there's hope.

Nice article, Sempai.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
western culture wrote:
The Pen is mightier than the Sword.
But...
Quote:
bushido wrote:
Sword and Pen Together.
Aikido movement comes from ken-jitsu. There is aiki sword practiced by some styles, Considered aikido movement as subtle sword practice. Yet how did this relate to writing?

Sword and Pen are tools of government. Practicing both gives control to society and the warrior.

Sword and Pen Together.
Thank you for the article.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

What a load of rubbish Lynn - that was terrible!

Only joking. Yep, you're right it is very courageous to show your all too human underbelly through writing, and I think most people at aikiweb really appreciate your contributions and, as most good writers, you write when you have something to say.

P.S. James, I'm sure there is a creative writing club in the area you could join. It is much easier to gain confidence when you get some criticism and encouragement from others and you start to realise that people's tastes vary and you'll never appeal to everyone! A club also helps to structure your writing time.

Last edited by ian : 11-15-2006 at 05:15 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

I really encourage people to express themselves, including the media of writing.

I spend a good deal of time reading about the writing business. It helps take the fear out of it and not having to figure everything out myself (which never would have happened).

With 4 co-authored books (3 on Aikido and 1 on psychotherapy), a chapter on sport psychology, and close to 300 magazine and newspaper articles (all in my spare time), I've had practice, but still enjoy the support, encouragement, and thinking maybe I have something to offer.

Somewhere I have a handout I used at an Aiki-Extensions conference on writing. If I can find it, I'll make it available.

Everybody has a story to tell. Tell it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Tom Fish
Dojo: McAllen
United_States

Perspectives are often arrived at from traveling down that lonesome road. Being able to share those perspectives with well written thoughts helps in bringing others along that road as well. Your articles really do that well and I really enjoy reading them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for doing it so well.
Best Regards
Tom
Old 12-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Funny that I just read this after the book signing/demo this morning. When guests were invited to approach the podium and speak, I was so close to standing up! I am mad at myself for not doing it! I guess the fear of visibility and vulnerability got the best of me this morning. Have a safe trip home.

Chris Sawyer
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Chris Sawyer wrote:
Funny that I just read this after the book signing/demo this morning. When guests were invited to approach the podium and speak, I was so close to standing up! I am mad at myself for not doing it! I guess the fear of visibility and vulnerability got the best of me this morning. Have a safe trip home.
Kohai,

Thanks for attending. It was great seeing you again.

Yep, the only thing higher than the fear of death is the fear of public speaking. Didn't surprise me at all not to get takers. I was impressed they even asked.

Hope you enjoy the book and we train together again someday.

Yes, the trip home (GA) was smooth.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD