Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
amberlee
United_States
Question practice partners or family?

Do you see the people you practice with as family or just the people you practice with? I've seen dojo's where people have practiced with each other for years but can't tell you one thing about their partners. In my dojo we're all close and know each very well. Just wondering.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: practice partners or family?

It depends, I've been a member of my current dojo for 12 years, I am very good friends with some of the members there and we socialize outside of the dojo with family. However, there are other members that have been part of the club for 5 or 6 years but only come to train, they don't socialize. As it happens, we are having a club summer BBQ this weekend (if we actually get some summer weather here in the UK ), the aim was to get members together with family. We've got about 35 people attending, but only 14 are from our 47 or so signed up members .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-22-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Ian Williams

practice partners.... drawn together to learn a common art.. friends, but not family..

Tsutsumi Ryu Jujitsu
Adelaide, South Australia

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Old 07-22-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

Strangers
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

I work with a couple of my aikidoka buddies so know them better than the rest.
Mostly go to the dojo to train and I am friends with most there. That is all.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 07-24-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States

I think that my Sensei's club is more like a close knit group of friends, with some of them actually seeming more like a family. There are groups that are closer than others, but for the most part, everyone gets along and considers the others good friends. As for the school that I own and teach at, most of them ARE actually family ( myself, my father, my mother, my cousin, and my adopted brother.... Lyle) that makes for a little more spirited practice. We find that the other students tend to bring a family member with them to join making our dojo feel more like a family.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I see the folks I practice with as friends and family. I have found that it takes a long time for someone to become a member of your family. Similar to the parent who now has a new son-in-law or daughter-in-law, though your son'daughter may love them to the end of the earth it takes a while for a bond to develop. Sometimes though as life will have it there are memebers that you do not care for or respect. So I avoid those family members.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 07-25-2004, 03:16 AM   #8
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Seems to me that in most good dojos there is a family atmosphere. Though politics being what it is, perhaps a disfunctioal reformed modern family!

There is transfer of the psychological model of the family onto most human activity as it is funamental to most of us. Boss = dad, "blood brothers" in gangs, etc.

In Aikido I feel the transference of family roles can have both positive and negative effects. On the one hand it can help people deal with issues and provide structure, on the other hand it can complicate and craete emotional conlfict in the dojo.

I hope this isn't just psycho-babble.

Prodigal black sheep,
Mark
x
Old 07-25-2004, 06:19 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Some are close friends, some are friends, some are acquaintances, some are just training partners.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!