Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States
Fugakukai = Kihara = Karl Geis Method?

Ok, I know that Karl Geis (and others) established the Fugakukai. I've also read that Karl Geis calls his style the Kihara method.
I've also seen fugakukai patches that read "Karl Geis Aikdo, Judo, Jodo."

Does fugakukai=kihara=karl geis method?
Does a Fugakukai member say "I study Fugakukai style?" Or do they say "I study Kihara?"
or "I study the Karl Geis method of Shodokan?"

thanks,
Jory
Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Fugakukai=Kihara=Karl Geis Method?

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote:
Does a Fugakukai member say "I study Fugakukai style?" Or do they say "I study Kihara?"
or "I study the Karl Geis method of Shodokan?"
From my experiences with Fugakukai folks, I can be sure that the last option you gave is never used. There is no "Karl Geis method of Shodokan". Karl Geis trained with Tomiki a bit and founded Fugakukai at some point, other than that there is not much interrelationship afaik.

Peace.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 04-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
jester

United_States

I call it Tomiki Aikido. Karl was a 6th Dan in Tomiki Aikido, and then formed his own group.
FuGakuKai was the name of the school.

I think it means "School of Higher Learning". Someone who speaks Japanese can give a more precise definition.

Karl modified the system, so I think he called it Karl Geis Ryu so people would not confuse it with other schools. I'm not sure of this, but I think that's why.

Ki-Hara is something Karl developed that added onto the original 17 techniques that we studied. There are now 23 I think... It isn't as linear as the original style I learned. He added a thing called chaining which links techniques together in a flowing pattern. Writing Karl is the best way to get the full story.

The name Shodokan was never mentioned at the school, and I learned of it through some Kenji Tomiki articles I read.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Patrick
Dojo: Mississippi State Universty Aikido

I usually say that I study Aikido.

Kendo is like star wars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.
"Luke, I am your sensei"
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Patrick Waits wrote:
I usually say that I study Aikido.
Good point Patrick. At the end of the day, that is the reality.
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
KPatton

There are a number of ways they refer to it.

Karl Geis Ryu
The Kihara Method
Karl Geis Aikido

In the five years I studied there, there was never a set terminology.
Fugakukai refers to the association, not necessarily to the style.
In my experience, every affiliated dojo, does things a bit differently since the techniques as practiced change and if the affiliated instructors don't come to clinics to learn the new changes, they continue to teach what they know and subtle differences creep into the techniques. The association does not consider this a bad thing. It makes the style dynamic.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
KPatton

The method is one of constant movement. We practice for failure, meaning, we do not assume a given technique will work, and practice the chaining so we internalize a second third fourth alternate technique if the first does not work. We also do not use strength to execute a technique. We go from one technique to the next depending on what feedback we get from Uke. If he pushes for instance or strikes a blow, we would execute kotegaeshi. if he were to pull back we would go into udegaeshi and so on. We never tied to force a technique from strength because you then have to plant your feet and become static. This goes against everything in the Method.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Luis Gonzalez
Dojo: Merida Yucatan
Mexico

I believe that the method we study is not really that important as long as we see Aikido for what it is which is harmony, I have visited several dojos and I have received very good surprises and also some very bad ones where they teach about the ammount of damage you can inflict or the capability you have to hurt someone. THIS IS NOT AIKIDO. When Uke offers his energy to you he/she gives you life and death decision over them however as an Aikidoka you choose life always because you are in harmony. The most accurate comment I have seen here is from Patrick "we study Aikido"
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
KPatton
Re: Fugakukai = Kihara = Karl Geis Method?

Luis: By your definition, there was not much harmony at the dojo at which I studied. There was a lot of talk about mayhem: eye gouging, forehead splitting, broken knees...kind of like street fighting. Now I understand the Association has redefined itself as a "church" and may have softened its stance in exchange for the tax exempt status. LOL. They teach a style of meditation they call, Take My Hand.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
KPatton
Re: Fugakukai = Kihara = Karl Geis Method?

My profile info is incorrect. I severed affilitaion with the dojo several years ago.