Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Irony
Dojo: Aikido Center of Atlanta
Broken Ankle

My wife and I recently moved to Atlanta from Florida and on the first week here she fell and broke her ankle (a fairly small fracture on the smaller of the two bones). Anyway, one doctor told her she would have to wait 6 months after getting the cast off to resume her aikido training. I know we have some doctors on the forum, as well as some people who have suffered similar injuries. Will it really take that long? Just an estimate.

Thanks!

Chris Pasley
Old 02-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #2
guest1234
A good rule of thumb I use is: don't counter advice given by the MD actually seeing the patient One thing she could do, though, if she'd like to get out there sooner, is discuss with him why six months (so she knows what he is worried about and can tell if that is an accurate fear based on what she does in class) and offer to make the needed changes/describe clearly for him what she does in class... he may going off his memeories of high school TKD or grade school karate in making his decision. Once they both know why the restriction was made, and what she plans to do, hopefully there will be a plan that is livable, so she doesn't get tempted to cheat. More importantly, he may even extend the healing time (foot-sweeps,breakfalls for instance).

I think I've mentioned before, we (MDs)are not a group inclinded to admitting when we don't know something (see, it's not just me ), so make sure everyone in the room knows what Aikido is (even to us on the forum it is different)...if he's any good, he'll make sure you understand the healing process involved in this particular break and body (nearly as individiualized as Aikido), and a common ground should be reached. Hope she gets better soon
Old 02-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #3
guest1234
One of my personal experiences in that was discussing with my orthopedic surgeon how long it would take if I let him repair my torn rotator cuff. I had already done nage-less ukemi for shihonage with my good arm to demo for him 'just how in the H*** did you do this in the first place'---note to self, beware big Iwama guys not used to pinning tiny partners---and he had turned pale watching. So I was surprised he agreed to my demand to 'at least let me roll afterwards' so easily. So I rolled down the hall a forward then backward roll. As I walked back to him he called me a lunatic and said 'no, absolutely not, no, no, no'.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:53 PM   #4
Irony
Dojo: Aikido Center of Atlanta
Thanks, Colleen. The only reason I'm doubting the doctor's estimate is that he was not the original doctor we saw, nor an orthopedist. In fact the only x-rays he saw were done four weeks ago, at the time of the break. She goes back in two weeks to see if the cast can come off and will ask further into it. Maybe I can demonstrate for him what she might be doing, like you did. She's understandably distressed by the prospect of losing what will be the equivalent of seven months' training time, but I guess safety first. Perhaps if she only took light ukemi...

You know what's even funnier? It's partially due to her ukemi training that she broke it. She was walking down the stairs and began to slip. Instictively she stuck her leg behind her as if doing a backfall and crunch! This was a fate I narrowly avoided just the day before when I became the first of us to christen the stairs with my backside. Fortunately I went with kick-up type ukemi instead!

Shows what you get for laughing at someone doesn't it?

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated!

Chris Pasley
Old 02-04-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
guest1234
Besides, with all that time to now devote to weapons and ki training, she will be amazing when she can get back on the mat!
Old 02-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #6
Johan Tibell
Dojo: Aikido Dojo Gamlestaden
I agree with Colleen, even she won't be able to take ukemi at all for 6-7 months their is plenty of other exercizes she could do. Myself I'm a good example of what not to do, after I went on the mat too early a second time after a throat infection (don't know what's called in English, it's pretty common) he threatened me with a whole bunch of diseases with potential fatal outcome. Perhaps he added a little extra to make his point but anyway, he just opened my mouth, took a quick look and said I was going on a 3x cure.

Regards,

- Johan
Old 02-05-2002, 12:49 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Broken Ankle

Quote:
Originally posted by Irony
My wife...fell and broke her ankle (a fairly small fracture on the smaller of the two bones). Anyway, one doctor told her she would have to wait 6 months... Will it really take that long? Just an estimate.
Thanks!
I find my ankles aching too often after class. I never noticed it during training until I consciously started paying attention and then I began to see how it get torqued pretty enthusiastically during some throws, especially when someone bends you backwards over their knee. Six months might be a good length of time to practice weapons, as someone suggested.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-06-2002, 08:21 PM   #8
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Quote:
I find my ankles aching too often after class.
I too have ankle problems... originating from an old soccer injury. A sports doctor explained to me that one of the ligaments healed extended because of improper bracing during recovery thus that extra bit of ligament gets in between the joints causing pain.

I showed him seiza and he says, that thats not the best position you want to put your ankles, injured or otherwise. But if you still want to do it, you crazy aikido ppl, wear ankle wraps and put ice afterwards. Regular massage with curative oils won't hurt either.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.