Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Paberu
Dojo: Takemusu Aiki Iwama Ivanovo
Russian Federation
Video clip Iwama Aikido

Greetings to all! Here references to interesting video in which it is possible to see level of development Aikido Iwama in Russia.

Buki Waza Iwama Aikido are carried out base technics and various variations Aiki-Jo and Old Ken-Tai-Jo
(about 6 Mb)
http://iwamaivanovo.ru/video/bukiwaza_2005.wmv

TaiJutsu Iwama Aikido the set technics with empty hands is shown.
(about 5 Mb)
http://iwamaivanovo.ru/video/taijutsu_2005.wmv

Jyu Waza free moving from attacks of 2 partners simultaneously is shown.
(about 2 Mb)
http://iwamaivanovo.ru/video/randori_vs2.wmv

Tanto Dori protection against attacks with the REAL knife is shown.
(about 4 Mb)
http://iwamaivanovo.ru/video/Tantodori.WMV

Randori One against 4 armed opponents. Simultaneous attack.
(about 3 Mb)
http://iwamaivanovo.ru/video/Randori.WMV

Enjoy viewing! Paberu.
Takemusu Aiki Iwama Ivanovo
www.iwamaivanovo.ru
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Re: Video clip Iwama Aikido

Very Nice!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
lewpearson
Dojo: Melbourne Aikikai
United_States

Magical!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Thumbs down Re: Video clip Iwama Aikido

First class demo, i love the reverse kokyu nages. get your english site up soon guys cheers.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Roy
Canada

Cool
Old 08-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

I liked the more realistic range, the intensity, the speed, the martial aspect it of it all, etc., - fantastic - and I think it shows again that sometimes to move to the heart of something you have to move away from the center of something. But man I think it would have been an even louder statement if it wasn't so choreographed in the more freestyle demonstrations. Please don't take this as a criticism - I mean it only as an encouragement to next time just go for it, trusting that the obvious skill will still be visible to both the trained and untrained eye even if the demo doesn't end up looking like a Hollywood movie.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Eric_Aiki

As a new guy, with only a few weeks training, I have to say... wow... is that ever just a little faster than what I get to do. Some of those Jo strikes look very hard! But the grace and speed, very impressive. Archiving these vids, thanks for the post!

Eric
Old 08-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Rich Dyer
United_States

Outstanding clips.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #9
Paberu
Russian Federation

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
But man I think it would have been an even louder statement if it wasn't so choreographed in the more freestyle demonstrations. ... even if the demo doesn't end up looking like a Hollywood movie.
Completely agree with you David, but performance technick from this point of view demands very high level (which we don't possess, while) since all this can will end with a trauma. Here, the main thing in my opinion not only to show realistic Aikido, but also to remain after that alive and healthy! It is wonderful, that after this demonstration any Uke's has not suffered, for what we are grateful to our instructor
Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #10
senshincenter

United_States

Well, I think we should give a hand to the uke as well. Very nice! :-)

thanks for the reply,
david

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #11
neb1979
Australia

Very nice
Old 08-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #12
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

The 4 armed attacker randori was exceptional imho. Would be even nicer if not so choreographed imho, but great nevertheless.

The Jyu Waza one was great too in that same light.

The Tanto Dori was ok. Would tend not to use tai sabaki that presented my back to a knife weilding attacker though. I think it was a good demo of someone who wanted to intimidate a person with a knife but not really hurt them (as seen with the twirling, telegraphing, presenting of the blade before attack etc.). All in all though it was not bad. Good timing on the part of Tori in some shots and Uke makes things look really good too.

I haven't downloaded the rest of the vids yet, but it looked like a great demo overall.

Keep it up.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Paberu
Russian Federation

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
The 4 armed attacker randori was exceptional imho. Would be even nicer if not so choreographed imho...
...Would tend not to use tai sabaki that presented my back to a knife weilding attacker though...
Hi Larry,
As I wrote earlier if it to not do, and to work randori spontaneously - it threatens with the big problems for Uke's health.

About tanto:
It agree, but I think all it is known, that from the person professionally owning knife, practically impossible to be protected (if certainly, you do not have pistol) Therefore, on demonstration base (wide) movements with a knife are used. In the given situation (at wide impacts) there is an opportunity to make tenkan, but in a real situation to never a case don't turn to attacker a back. And if it is the professional, most likely the victim will not have time to understand anything at all...

Thanks for the good comment, and sorry my english
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

amazing, truely amazing i only hope i can be as good

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 08-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom

It is encouraging to see a good demonstration of Aikido, plenty of Tai sabaki in such a small area.The Atemi's well delivered to max effect!!!

Peter Brown (www.kyushinkan.com)
Old 08-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
Pdella

the was dope.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
senshincenter

United_States

Quote:
Pavel Ermilov wrote:
As I wrote earlier if it to not do, and to work randori spontaneously - it threatens with the big problems for Uke's health.

Ah, but you see the world does not need one more "master" of mechanics and/or of choreography. Each of us, as we come with our "new" eye to Aikido, especially those that have trained in other arts, etc., has a chance to return the art of Aikido to the source of its greatness -- which is spontaneous Aiki. If I were you, I would not be so satisfied with the notion that "we cannot do spontaneous Aiki, that we need choreographed movements, in order to demonstrate Aikido safely and/or well." For me, being skeptical of this notion should be particularly true if we are going to keep phrases like "jiyu waza" and/or "randori." Uke must embrace the risk in cultivating themselves through a Budo, not justify modern trends in the art via a concern for their own well-being. For me, this is especially true of yudansha, especially of yudansha that are on the vanguard of Aikido development in a given area. Moreover, it seems like such a small gap in risk (to move away from choreography) when you are already asking uke to go flying through the air so they can land on their back and/or go topsy-turvy four feet off the ground.

dmv

David M. Valadez
Old 08-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
Paberu
Russian Federation

Your idea is clear to me, David. Those things to which you have paid attention really doesn't suffice in our demonstrations. However, I can object. Spontaneous Aiki is well for training in a dojo, (or for protection against a real foe) And I, frequently being in role Uke of a sensei, on my "skin" know that this such. But, good demonstration should be planned, that there were no "unforeseen" situations on eyes at hundreds spectators, if suddenly something went not as necessary. I think, that demonstration is not training, it is SHOW, there is no place to mistakes, the big responsibility for that people did not respond badly about Aikido. I hope, that after years of persistent trainings, we shall come nearer to that on demonstrations to show spontaneous, present (real) Aikido.
Also I want to thank you, David for fine article "Interaction of Uke and Nage during trainings". At ourselves in Dojo we recommend all to read this article. Personally I, after perusal began less loyally concern to partners of higher level, than I . Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #19
senshincenter

United_States

Hi Pavel,

I guess it is a matter then of what is Aikido. Is Aikido its mechanics? Or is Aikido presented to us mechanically but is really that which is underneath or behind the mechanics? For me, it's the latter. So when I'm looking at a demonstration, a great deal is missing for me when only the mechanics are presented - especially if that demonstration is doing "jiyu waza" and "randori."

I can understand that Aikido must put on a "good show," especially in an area where it is developing (relatively speaking), but, for me, part of a "good show" is that things don't require choreography. Real physics and real spontaneous skills are what is important. But this is just my opinion. And, again, I really only mean it as an encouragement to strive for spontaneity - to be okay with things not needing to be so "Hollywood." With all respect, and with all humility, you guys are moving great, and it feels great to watch you all training so hard.

However, for me, it is like this, and maybe this will get some of the Iwama folks in an uproar, but the person doing the demonstration, in my opinion, has penetrated the source of those weapons sets in ways I have not seen others do. He has tapped into the source of the movement and has managed to find the true physics involved - that which is supporting the tactics of the architecture realistically. He is not just relying on the fact that "this is how it goes because this is how everyone else does it." This is especially true when it comes to the timing of the technique - which then goes on to affect things like the range (making it also more realistic). This is all very impressive in my book. It comes from a lot of hard work, a group of serious training partners/students, and a lot of time invested, etc. That is the only way that someone can come to think outside of the box - outside of a reliance upon others. Someone capable of such things is also very capable of striving for spontaneous Aiki (even during "shows"). My advice is just "go for it." Don't let anything get in your way (e.g. "we have to be careful"). Orient yourselves properly, and then just do what needs to be done to get to where you want to get.

Again, this is only an encouragement. I want to thank you and your group for sharing. It is very kind of you. Also, I'm glad you found some use in something I happen to write. If you guys ever feel like coming to sunny Santa Barbara (California) to train, consider yourselves our guests.

peace,
david

David M. Valadez
Old 08-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #20
Tubig
Australia

Those clips are excellent. Thanx you.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #21
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
I can understand that Aikido must put on a "good show," especially in an area where it is developing (relatively speaking), but, for me, part of a "good show" is that things don't require choreography. Real physics and real spontaneous skills are what is important. But this is just my opinion. And, again, I really only mean it as an encouragement to strive for spontaneity - to be okay with things not needing to be so "Hollywood." With all respect, and with all humility, you guys are moving great, and it feels great to watch you all training so hard.
I think David has voiced my thoughts somewhat regarding the spontaneity idea.

We do about 4-5 public demos at major Judo tournaments yearly and I almost never choreograph. The reason is part to do with my Uke (all kyu ranked) and their brain or memory crashing when onstage, and part is to do with my need to demonstrate Aiki in a spontaneous manner as much as is safe and possible. The result is it may not be as pretty as a well planned, choreographed event, but the mainly martial artist crowd has no questions about efficacy or realism of the Ukemi needed to protect oneself and they appreciate that. So far we have been encouraged to keep the spontaneous realism approach instead of the pretty approach. The height of this approach for me was a "demo" of what Aikido shiai (resistance tanto randori) looked like, which had a very high possibility for embarassment imo as Uke was allowed to attack, resist and counter at full force to highlight the elements of relaxation, adaptation and spontaneity embodied in this sort of randori training.

The demos presented in the videos here were superb imo. But one might find that a spontaneous format would allow for more of the "creativity" element to appear, resulting in a truly unique and as pretty (depending on the level of participants) demo while keeping the safety factor high as well.

As David said, this is more of an encouragement than anything else.

Gambatte.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-15-2005, 02:19 AM   #22
Paberu
Russian Federation

Dear David and Larry, thanks for your support. I think, in a consequence, we shall smoothly pass to such sort of demonstration performances.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #23
Roban
Scotland

I would love to see these videos but when I click on the links, all I see are pages of Russian text. I tried to go via the home page but eventually get to the same pages of text.

Are they being hosted elsewhere or can the links be fixed?

Cheers

Rob
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #24
Paul Kerr

Very, very nice clips! I enjoyed them a lot.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #25
Paberu
Russian Federation

Quote:
Rob Young wrote:
Are they being hosted elsewhere or can the links be fixed?

Hi Rob, follow under this link: http://www.iwamaivanovo.ru/videocatalog.html
Don't pay attention to the text, the right button of the mouse click on a pictures "save target as..."
Good luck!