Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 6, 2003:

How often do you use video recordings of yourself in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Almost always
  • Very often
  • Often
  • Somewhat often
  • Seldom
  • Almost never
  • Never
Here are the current results.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:12 AM   #2
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Somewhat often - but I wish I'd do it more.

Rather than filming a class, I mostly set up a camera and record myself at home doing the weapons katas and suburi. Its great for picking up the ducked heads, rolled shoulders and bouncing bokkens we all suffer from.

...and the feeling of horror when you first see yourself do aikido on tape is good for the soul.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 07-06-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote:
AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 6, 2003:

How often do you use video recordings of yourself in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Almost always
  • Very often
  • Often
  • Somewhat often
  • Seldom
  • Almost never
  • Never

Here are the current results.
Getting filmed would steal my Ki away!!!

Now seriously, I couldn´t bear the horror, the horror!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I use video and still photos a lot. I use a transparent grid over my monitor and often view action in both slow motion (one fifth speed is great) and frame by frame. It is easy to see what is happening when. The grid shows immediately if someone's center is going up or down, etc.

Students that are a long distance away send me video with questions and examples of their training and we can then film an answer that may help.

"One picture is worth a thousand words." Some wise old Chinese guy supposedly said that some time ago.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
hoi
United_States
Quote:
C.E. Clark (Chuck Clark) wrote:
I use video and still photos a lot. I use a transparent grid over my monitor and often view action in both slow motion (one fifth speed is great) and frame by frame. It is easy to see what is happening when. The grid shows immediately if someone's center is going up or down, etc.
Wow! Now that is a scientist's mind at work. This reminds me of various training films analyzing athletes'performances, thereby they know where they can make improvement.

I wish I could film some of the seminars I attended so I can study them in detail later . Memory is such a fleeting recorder.

Fortunately (double edge), the body seems to recollect what it felt better than the mind. Am I correct?

Miss your training, Sensei.

-hoi
Old 07-07-2003, 12:45 AM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I never use video for the simple reason I wish to delude myself that my Aikido is absolutely wonderful.

I can't handle the truth.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Peter,

The "truth" or as much information as possible always makes things more "wonderful". Our perception and expectations of it often need some work though. ;-)

The more options we can come to understand the better our problem solving is. I use the word "understand" here in it's widest view.

I can't tell you how many times I, and many of my students, have seen something in a photo or video that helps us solve a problem that makes our practice more wonderful.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-08-2003, 04:38 PM   #8
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
I've thought about recording some of my rank demonstrations but never did untill my recent Shodan demo. I was suprised in that I actually looked like I knew what I was doing. I was also able to look and see where I have room for improvement, which was nice. I think that it is a tool that could defenitely get more use.

I really like Clark Sensei's method of using a grid and slo-mo playback. I my try and emulate that in the future.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #9
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I never use video in Aikido and I think that's a big mistake.

When I was on a crew team in college, the coach took video every week. It was the most amazing experience being able to see yourself doing exactly what the coach had been telling you all week. It was even possible to remember youself think, "yeah, yeah, I know, I'm working on it" as you watched the shoulder dip down to the catch stroke after stroke after stroke.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #10
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
I was on a crew team in college...
So does that experience help your aiki in terms of moving with your whole body and such?

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #11
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I'll answer that in a new thread so I don't de-rail this one.

Last edited by opherdonchin : 07-09-2003 at 04:07 PM.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-10-2003, 07:15 AM   #12
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
I have got two videos of myself and it is very helpful seeing this, the first one was in my first kyu test and the second on my shodan (about two months ago),.... and I could see my "evolution",.. it is great and I recomend to every body to do this,... at least once a year,... it will be nice for you and your students to see in twenty years your old videos of Aikido.

Last edited by Goye : 07-10-2003 at 07:19 AM.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 07-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
Leslie Parks
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo
As the tape of my ikkyu test came on screen, what I saw of my hand position on my bokken made me just drop my head, thinking 'oh dear god'. I made myself continue watching.

When I got a look at still pictures of my shodan test, I looked at my pins and said, "oh dear god". I asked one of my instructors about them; he said, "yeah, your pins suck". Onegaishimasu. I worked on them.

I've never video taped a session specifically for the purpose of self-review. However subsequent tests (mine and others) and demonstrations, and other events videotaped have illuminated both development and continuing areas to work on. As we are usually our own worst critic, yeah, "the horror, the horror".
Old 07-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Patrick O'Reilly
Dojo: ,Mi.
Once (started this Aikido class two weeks ago). Just last night the instructer taped the class and I got to see what I look like at this point. I was nerwous at first but decided to forget about the camera and concentrate on the class. I figured I look like a beginer any way so why be concerned about it. I could tell when looking at the tape I was nervous at first but then relaxed.

The plan is to tape once a month or so to see the progress.