Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2002, 11:23 PM   #26
Gregory King
Dojo: Fuji Ryu Police Citizens Club
When I first started Aikido I thought that if I listened attentively to everything that was said, trained hard and concentrated that I would become proficient at the art. I used to think about it all the time. My breakthrough was when I stopped thinking and started doing, less thought more flow.

Peace

Greg

Greg
Old 10-04-2002, 08:05 AM   #27
Guest5678
Every place I've trained and even when I first started training at Shindai, I thought my training was just for me, my personal use only, and I was only interested in how I could benefit from it.

This concept changed the longer I trained at Shindai. While reviewing tapes of class, the sheer magnitude of sharing and giving and trust hit me all at once. I then realized that while I was training and learning, others were in turn, also learning from me.

To this day I avoid teaching as much as possible except for some "one on one" stuff when I'm trying to work on certain things. But overall, I more freely share my experiences and find myself helping other students more and more.....

-Mongo
Old 10-04-2002, 08:28 AM   #28
kklipsch
Dojo: Soshinkan - AAA
1. what was the last (or most significant) belief that you've had in your aikido training that you've changed your mind on?

A. My body does not automatically do what I envision it doing. Now I know that muscle memory is very important.

B. Self-Defense and Martial Arts are not as linked as I once thought.

C. Violence is not always bad as I was led to believe.

1. What brought on this change of mind?

A. Two years of struggling with basic foot work, I've gotten it "right" once.

B. Thinking about the age old question of "does Aikido work" led me to crime statistics, which further led me to the belief that ukemi practice is going to "defend me" (i.e. keep me from getting hurt) more redily than any technique.

C. The joy I feel as I'm thrown through the air, or the connection I have when someone allows me to throw them, are unlike any other feelings I've had before. These feelings come from a noticably violent behavior (throwing someone is violent in my opinion).

3.What implications did this change have on your overall aikido training?

A. I no longer get frustrated with doing things over and over and over again. I try to concentrate more when doing things slowly, and free my mind (relax) more when doing them fast.

B. From the Aikido side, I try to concentrate on ukemi as much as possible. I want more than anything to be great at taking falls. Also, I'm less hung up on the question "will this work on martial artist x?" I think it is a valid question, but a more problematic question for me is "can I take proper ukemi after being hit by a ford? What about a buick?"

C. I get this sneaking suspision that those high school wrestlers I never understood, were on to something. Maybe the ju-jitsu guys aren't as primitive and brutal as I once thought. And I always always always thank the person I've been practicing with, because they allow me to continue to train.