Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2001, 07:06 PM   #1
Sheldon Verbeke
Dojo: Sowakan, Maple Ridge, BC
Canada
Talking New Website

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site & I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Sheldon Verbeke & I'm a student at the Sowakan Dojo in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada. We've recently put up a new site and would appreciate any and all feedback in hopes of providing all the information we can.

Monday, Nov. 19/01 Thank you Sarah, I guess it would help if I posted a url

www.aikidobc.com

Last edited by Sheldon Verbeke : 11-19-2001 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:56 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Quote:
Thank you Sarah, I guess it would help if I posted a url
heh heh, that always happens in the excitement of the moment.

anyway, you should go check the spellings. 1st page, reconciliation. I think there were others, but I can't remember where. Cool picture though... your sensei?

Is it true that your sensei got his 3rd dan from an aikikai instructor? strange.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan
Is it true that your sensei got his 3rd dan from an aikikai instructor? strange.
To Abasan:
Were you confused by the bit where it said he was awarded his Sandan by Chida Sensei, of the honbu dojo in Tokyo? In this case I think the honbu dojo in question isn't the Aikikai, its the Yoshinkan itself, the honbu dojo founded by Gozo Shioda, which is also in Tokyo.

To Sheldon:
Thats a very handsome website, I like it very much. Thanks for posting the URL.

(And since you are new around here, welcome. )

Sean
x

Last edited by deepsoup : 11-20-2001 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:33 PM   #4
Sheldon Verbeke
Canada
Chida Shihan

Thank you Sean.. and Abasan for your replies...

You are correct Sean, our reference to the Hombu was intended to mean the Yoshinkan Hombu.
Chida, Tsutomu
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Hombu Dojo
3F Takayama Building
2-28-8 Kami-Ochiai
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 161
Japan

Note: Speeelling corrections are on their way.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:10 PM   #5
Abasan
Malaysia
Deepsoup, thanks for clearing up that mystery for me. Now I've got a couple of questions myself, heh heh... if you don't mind.

Is it true that Shioda sensei started yoshinkan because he disagreed with osensei on how students train aikido? It is claimed that Shioda sensei believed that most ppl can't really master ki in a reasonable amount of time, thus would be unable to master aikido as advocated by osensei. Consequently, Shioda set out to teach it by basing it more on human physics and place more emphasis on techniques.

second, how does yoshinkan aikido compare with Saito Sensei's method? Although Saito sensei has not renamed his aikido, I think Aikikai does not totally agree with his teaching methods. His style is more direct and triangular, reminiscent of prewar aikido whilst aikikai under both 2nd and 3rd doshu advocate circular movements more. Sorry if this question is so loose.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:59 AM   #6
Sheldon Verbeke
Canada
If I may Abasan, I'd like to try & answer one of the questions you've asked.

Soke Gozo Shioda did not disagree with
O Sensei, more so it was a difference in the manner in which he conveyed his aikido. Shioda Sensei believed, and taught, that there are very many elements by which one learns & develops their own aiki. One method Shioda Sensei employed was to develop a formal manner to teach body movement, this is called Kihon Dosa or basic movements. In Kihon Dosa we have six different movements which teach people how to use the body as a unified entity. Ki, in the performance of Aikido techniques, is actually the culmination of several aspects of correct posture, balance, timing, breathing and the use of focused power. In Kihon Dosa we hope to build the foundations of all the above mentioned aspects of body movement and finally to be able to move the whole body as a focused element.
I'm afraid I cannot comment on the second part of your question, I've not yet had enough experience with Aikiki to make that kind of comparison. I do hope that I've shed a little light on the first matter though.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:14 AM   #7
Abasan
Malaysia
Sheldon, thanks for clarifying that matter.