Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #251
graham butt
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

This thread should be called, Why do people have an opinion. They hate it because, it may not be for them, It may be a bit too technical, Not straight to the point enough. Various reaons, So long as your heart remains in the art then what is there to worry about the situation? If they hate it let them hate it, don't spend time trying to convince a non-believer. Stick to your heart and let them have their say!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #252
Niccolo Gallio
Dojo: KI AIKIDO Center, Firenze
Italy

Why do some people hate Aikido?
easy:
We get to wear black pants

Proud member of Ki Aikido Center Dojo in Firenze under the guidance of Mario Peloni Sensei. http://www.kiaikidocenter.it
Come join us!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #253
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Why do people hate Aikido?
Though it's been said ad nauseum, "people hate what they do not understand".

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #254
curlytops
Philippines

I guess they hate Aikido just because they don't understand its concepts.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #255
lbb
United_States

I hate ukemi because I hate freedom.

(terrorists ftw!)
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #256
C. David Henderson
United_States

Unless you fall down, the terrorists win? Actually there's room to work with that idea....
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #257
lbb
United_States

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Unless you fall down, the terrorists win? Actually there's room to work with that idea....
IF you fall down, the terrorists win. Or something.

(mostly goofing on the silly use of the word "hate" here)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #258
C. David Henderson
United_States

Me too. If Ukemi involves (enables, whatever) getting over the fear of falling, then it also should abate terror over falling. Hence, when I fall down, I defeat those who would have me be afraid of falling (likely a null set, admittedly).

A little more seriously -- I find it difficult to get into the OP because I honestly don't really care that much. And, as I remarked a while back, sometimes the hate is not very much about its object.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #259
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Is it aikido they hate or is it the bunnies that infest it?........
Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #260
Janet Rosen

{sigh} another 2 yr old thread resurrected....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #261
Randall Lim
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Singapore
Singapore

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Quite an observation, Grant.....I have almost thirty years of Aikido, and thirty-four Karate training behind me, personally, I have summed it up in one line "No immediate tangible result"....if you kick, punch or strike an individual properly, you have an immediate effect on that individual that is seen, this does not actually require any training.....But to properly affect a balance break with an entering/turning motion and to feel the individuals reaction, requires so much practice......most people do not have the patience or self-discipline to do this.

Miku-san
Fully agree!! The learning of Aikido is a long long process which takes more than 10 years of regular training to even find the techniques effective in practical self-defence. Any martial training aiming for perfection in less than 10 years is considered a crash course (skipping the foundational essentials for martial perfection).

The first few years of Aikido training is just for the development of our psycho-motor skills (hand-eye-foot-body coordination) towards common Aikido techniques (form).

The next few years in Aikido training is for the development of our mental skills (the appropriate state of mind) in martial training.

The above-mentioned processes should take a total of at least 10 years of regular Aikido training to achieve.

Most people who observe & criticise Aikido do so from their superficial perspective on what is obvious (omote) to them. They do not have the long-term patience & determination to discover the not-so-obvious (ura) aspect of Aikido for themselves.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #262
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia

Because it is one of those weird Japanese martial arts that are LOADED with ... 'stuff'. And because some people seem to be stuck in practicing one art ... being a devotee of that art and not practicing and developing their own martial art based on a variety of sources.

How many types of Japanese karate do not teach getting offline? Seems obvious?

Why pull one hand back to your hip when you deliver a punch with the other? Dont ask questions, just do what you are shown. ... and think you are competent ... you might be - in your specific tradition.

I have learnt so much from practicing aikido it has filled out my other practices and visa versa.

I had a karate teacher that showed me a whole new way, dissing Japanese karate, esp, Shotokan, because they dont move offline.
he has a great range of techniques that do. he also trained in the past with an Aikidoka. And constantly criticizes Aikido as the techniques dont really work in a spar, fight or self defense. Then 3 years later he tells me that his karate is different from his Okinawan teachers "Even they dont move offline, I learnt that from the Aikido guy I trained with and incorporated it." ??? WTF?

But he still cant understand why people do Aikido.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #263
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Talking Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
It's ALLLLIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #264
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Like to keep the bunnies hopping.....
Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #265
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Randall Lim wrote: View Post
Fully agree!! The learning of Aikido is a long long process which takes more than 10 years of regular training to even find the techniques effective in practical self-defence. Any martial training aiming for perfection in less than 10 years is considered a crash course (skipping the foundational essentials for martial perfection).

The first few years of Aikido training is just for the development of our psycho-motor skills (hand-eye-foot-body coordination) towards common Aikido techniques (form).

The next few years in Aikido training is for the development of our mental skills (the appropriate state of mind) in martial training.

The above-mentioned processes should take a total of at least 10 years of regular Aikido training to achieve.

Most people who observe & criticise Aikido do so from their superficial perspective on what is obvious (omote) to them. They do not have the long-term patience & determination to discover the not-so-obvious (ura) aspect of Aikido for themselves.
It seems to me that to have to do ten years to become proficient in self defence is quite honestly a waste of time... I suppose if you are only practising martial dance once weekly it would take that long..... Even then I would seriously doubt the efficacy of it.....
If you are looking at health aspects only then why not do dance or performing arts, yoga or something like it?..... brilliant for health and fitness!!
The reason why anybody would take up a martial art is for self defence.... It is to my mind anyway.....
I believe aikido is a martial art, not just a health system.....Today that has been forgotten by most in mainstream "traditional" purist "aikidoka"..... It saddens me to say that I don't like to say that I do aikido anymore. So now I say I do modern jujutsu..... Say "aikido" and people laugh
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #266
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Oh I don't know. I think there's enormous value in repeating what was already said many times as if it were new and original thought.

I'll do my penalty laps for snark, but honestly people...you had that coming.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #267
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Oh I don't know. I think there's enormous value in repeating what was already said many times as if it were new and original thought.

I'll do my penalty laps for snark, but honestly people...you had that coming.
And what do you have against recycling? What is old to some is brand new to others. Resurrecting an old thread simply saves you oldies the trouble of repeating yourselves since it is all right there already.

As for why people hate aikido.I don't know go ask them, if it matters to you. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 12-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #268
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
.... It saddens me to say that I don't like to say that I do aikido anymore. So now I say I do modern jujutsu..... Say "aikido" and people laugh
Who's laughing? I would say "I do Aikido." If you can't do that with your head high, what's the point?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #269
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Michael Wilson wrote: View Post
.... I had a karate teacher that showed me a whole new way, dissing Japanese karate, esp, Shotokan, because they dont move offline.
he has a great range of techniques that do. he also trained in the past with an Aikidoka. And constantly criticizes Aikido as the techniques dont really work in a spar, fight or self defense. Then 3 years later he tells me that his karate is different from his Okinawan teachers "Even they dont move offline, I learnt that from the Aikido guy I trained with and incorporated it." ??? WTF?

But he still cant understand why people do Aikido.
Since returning to Aikido in 2004, I have been guided by Dan Inosanto's mantra: "No one martial art has all the answers, but every art has something to offer." In theory, you have to identiify what Aikido does better than anything else. In practice ... well, I'll have to get a lot better than I am and then do a lot more research on my own than I may do. But the point is on the whole, I respect Aikido for what it is, not what I want it to be. I like it! What's the point if that's not true?

Beyond that, it's important to distinguish online discussions from the real world. In the real world, people vote with their feet; no one is going to plunk down $60/month for something they "hate." And if they don't want to do it, that's fine.

Yep, another zombie thread revised by someone who didn't read the date (and I've done that).

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #270
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote: View Post
Good points all appreciated.

For me, aikido confuses and scares people as it blurs their normal boundaries and framework of operation. It goes against some core things the modern world teaches. I wrote an article on this...people seem to like it, but no one wants to publish it...
Hi Mark,
Publish in your own Newsletter or send it to Dee Chen.Failing that send me a copy for my edification.Hope you are well,
Joe.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #271
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Enrique Antonio Reyes wrote: View Post
Probably

I mingle a lot with BJJ and Judo practitioners. They say that it's more because Aikido somewhat falsely portrays martial effectiveness (in a demo probably)...one BJJ blackbelt just used three words (full of s--t) In contrast, their art (i train a bit myself) always try to be realistic in training.
Dear Enrique,
The trouble is that sometimes demo are indeed full of manure!
Anyone who is not familiar with Aikido concepts [your average guy ]thinks its all phony baloney and as Martial as a marshmallow.
However if you see the real deal[no names no pack drill] you will soon know that some teachers can turn it on as and when required.
What is realistic any way, to grapple somebody or do muay thai or what? Realistic to me is doing the minimum in order to get the maximum benefit from my own effort. If this means a sharp kick to a persons procreation area thats sufficient from my point of view. Fortunately being a gentleman I have rarely had to utilise this particular method.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #272
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
Who's laughing? I would say "I do Aikido." If you can't do that with your head high, what's the point?
Hi Mike,
I see no reason why anyone who practises sincerely should feel embarrassed to say they practice Aikido.As you say if you do not
have confidence in the art and in your own ability, why bother?
Having spent over 40 years in studying Martial Arts primarilyJudo , Aikido I have no problem stating I do Aikido and nobody so far has
[at least to my face ] ever said I was doing a dance.I have always respected my fellow Martial Artists whether they do a different discipline from myself.In turn I receive respect from these others.This is how it should be.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #273
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
What's the point in living a lie?
My aiki is my aikido, well actually it's devolved back to a martial art....
Most mainstream "aikido" is an insult to those of the walk and not the talk.....

There's plenty a laughing, believe it or do you have your head buried in the sand?......
The very word itself has become a laughing stock, and its all down to the bunnies

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 12-08-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #274
C. David Henderson
United_States

[clop clop whinny]
KNIGHT: They're nervous, sire.
ARTHUR: Then we'd best leave them here and carry on on foot. Dis-mount!
TIM: Behold the cave of Kyre Banorg!
ARTHUR: Right! Keep me covered.
KNIGHT: What with?
ARTHUR: Just keep me covered.
TIM: Too late!
[chord]
ARTHUR: What?
TIM: There he is!
ARTHUR: Where?
TIM: There!
ARTHUR: What, behind the rabbit?
TIM: It is the rabbit!
ARTHUR: You silly sod! You got us all worked up!
TIM: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel,
and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on.
ROBIN: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!
TIM: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide, it's a
killer!
KNIGHT: Get stuffed!
TIM: It'll do you a trick, mate!
KNIGHT: Oh, yeah?
ROBIN: You mangy Scot git!
TIM: I'm warning you!
ROBIN: What's he do, nibble your bum?
TIM: He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!
ARTHUR: Go on, Boris. Chop his head off!
BORIS: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!
TIM: Look!
[squeak]
BORIS: Aaaugh!
[chord]

David Henderson
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #275
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

" Ni, I say..Ni! "