Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #26
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Principles: Unbendable Arm

Unbendable arm is probably the most misunderstood thing related to ki aikido I can think of. Probably because you can teach the simplest level of it in about two minutes i.e. relaxed extension, you can frame that in terms of mystical verse and talk about ki etc or you can just say "stop fighting your triceps with your biceps," whatever works best for the student.
It's this very simple unbendable arm that's (perhaps unsurprisingly) travelled far and wide. So here's a test on how you start to take this to the next level. Instead of trying to bend the elbow, try bending the elbow as you lift the wrist up. If the wrist moves up then congrats you've got an extended arm that takes a minute to learn but your arm isn't in anyway connected to the rest of you in a coordinated manner.
That's what unbendable arm is really about, it's no coincidence you find it evident in pretty much all styles of aikido, it's also related to how boxers put their weight into their hands when throwing a punch etc. So it's not restricted to aikido by any means... in fact ballroom dancers have a pretty good unbendable arm but they tend to move from their sternum rather than their hara/one point.

Last edited by Ecosamurai : 04-28-2017 at 05:36 AM.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #27
Ecosamurai

United Kingdom

Quote:
Conan Theobald wrote: View Post
Frankly, I think a more important, yet often neglected point of study is the bendable leg.
If you have an unbendable leg in my dojo I'll usually make you fall over with what appears to be almost zero physical effort on my part - assuming of course that by unbendable leg you mean knees that don't bend.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 04-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #28
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Frankly, I think a more important, yet often neglected point of study is the bendable leg.
Quote:
Mike Haft wrote: View Post
...assuming of course that by unbendable leg you mean knees that don't bend.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
Ecosamurai

United Kingdom

Quote:
I, er, meant to do that. It was a test to see if the internet was paying attention...

-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 04-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #30
SeiserL

United_States

Perhaps (for me) the best way to teach/apply the "unbendable arm" is not to focus on the arm (or point of contact/resistance) but to focus on the internal body structure/alignment (that includes the arm) and filling the 6-directions to support the arm/body and "let" it remain straight/extended ...
I used to just visualize a metal bar extended to the hall in front of me and the wall behind me and just let it pass through my arm ...

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
bothhandsclapping
Dojo: Both Hands Clapping
United_States

I may be missing something here ... For many years I was affiliated with Shizuo Imaizumi's Shin-Budo Kai Aikido organization. (Imaizumi was Tohei's main guy here in the US during the 70's). When Imaizumi would demonstrate unbendable arm or unraisable body, it was always with the understanding that your were to focus your mind on your 'one point'. In a sense, the unbendable arm was not the actual goal, it was rather a kind of validation of the 'ki power' that is unleashed when you put your mind into your belly.

And of course, the parlor trick aspect of all this was that if you actually gave your mind something to do, it would simply get out of the way and you could just relax and let your natural instincts do the rest. It's pretty clear that Tohei could have chosen his right little toe as the source of his ki power - but that probably wouldn't have sold as many books.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #32
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
In what sense is "Unbendable Arm" a principle as opposed to, say, a party trick?
Unbendable arm is neither a principle, although it does illustrate the advantage of mind/body coordination over raw muscle power when related to maximizing performance; or a parlor trick, although it can be frivolously used as one.

Unbendable arm is an exercise employed to help the student become centered at one point in order to enhance mind/body coordination. Over time as the student gains experience, it helps strengthen the unification of mind and body as progressively greater force is applied to the arm. All of the push, pull, lift, compress ki exercises share that same purpose.

You can, I suppose, think of ki exercises as calisthenics for both mind and body, designed to unify the two in order to maximize performance and realize one's strongest most dependable state.

Ron

Old 08-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #33
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

For me, the unbendable arm forms a useful arch that when properly aligned into your shoulder will vector forces across the shoulders and out your other unbendable arm or down the back into the back foot or wrapping around the torso/hips into the front foot. This captures considerable force that can be either grounded disrupting the attacker or redirected back at the attacker through the other arm. It is not magic and is ultimately limited by the strength of the shoulder - like everything

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #34
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Robin Johnson wrote: View Post
For me, the unbendable arm forms a useful arch that when properly aligned into your shoulder will vector forces across the shoulders and out your other unbendable arm or down the back into the back foot or wrapping around the torso/hips into the front foot. This captures considerable force that can be either grounded disrupting the attacker or redirected back at the attacker through the other arm. It is not magic and is ultimately limited by the strength of the shoulder - like everything
I agree in a sense with the idea of an arch, however I don't see it as connected to or limited by shoulder strength (unless we are defining "shoulder" differently, which is possible); I have had no problem functionally maintaining unbendable arms with acute and chronic shoulder injury and a post-surgery rehab phase because the shoulder should not be engaged at all....to me a proper unbendable arm from a structural/anatomical point of view is buoyed from underneath by the latissimus dorsi and triceps.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #35
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I agree in a sense with the idea of an arch, however I don't see it as connected to or limited by shoulder strength (unless we are defining "shoulder" differently, which is possible); I have had no problem functionally maintaining unbendable arms with acute and chronic shoulder injury and a post-surgery rehab phase because the shoulder should not be engaged at all....to me a proper unbendable arm from a structural/anatomical point of view is buoyed from underneath by the latissimus dorsi and triceps.
Understood - I mean to distinguish between the parlor trick version and force applied to your forearm to push you over. If uke grabs your arm and pushes - you can attempt to be water and flow away (excellent) or you can ground/redirect the force and disrupt the uke (also excellent). Grounding the force only works if you can maintain the shoulder alignment. It doesn't take a lot of strength to handle an ordinary push from an ordinary human, but against a linebacker pushing hard the strength requirement goes up considerably and trying to ground might "fail" at the shoulder. So I was just adding a caveat. I realize that not everyone trains to ground/redirect force - but it can be a useful skill.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008