Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Great Aikido/MA Kid films

Greetings,

I am interested in DVD's, films and resources for kids (Middle-High school) who have never seen Aikido, and know of martial arts only from mainstream films (Matrix, et al).

Any ideas for some good films for kids--either about Aikido, or have some concepts of Aikido in the theme?

I can start off the list:

Warriors of Virtue
Circle of Iron (a bit much for younger kids, maybe)

Any others?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Brett Charvat
United_States
Re: Great Aikido/MA Kid films

There's a Japanese movie called "Aiki" that was made a few years ago that might be just the ticket if you can find it. The main character is a wheelchair-bound young man who begins training in Daito-ryu after being paralyzed in a traffic accident. Although the film is really more of a drama about the main character's personal transformation and acceptance of himself, a good chunk of the film is used to showcase aiki techniques and philosophy, and is done quite well in my opinion. There's a very neat (and surprisingly exciting) climax that hinges on aiki technique as well, and overall I thought it was a very enjoyable film. There is just a bit of adult-level sex stuff (very minor, with no personal parts shown), and a little uncomfortable toilet stuff which, while completely appropriate for the film, may embarrass kids at a middle-school level. As always, I'd recommend that you watch the film first to decide for yourself. As for finding a copy in your home country, I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm still in Japan, where it's easy to find at the local video shop. My only guess would be Amazon or something like that. Best of luck on the search.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Neil Mick

Thanks for that suggestion, Brett.
Anyone else?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
louiev

Japanese manga included? There's a good one called "Evil Heart"

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...920651-7505941

but I don't think there's an English translation available yet.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Kids watch too much too many movies anyway...God did I say that...I'm getting old!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:12 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Rashamon: All filmed by Aikira Kurosawa and with Toshiro Mifune. No Aikido per se but aswesome martial arts and all round utterly superb movies. If I were to suggest just one of those, I'd go with Seven Samurai.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Mike Wills

Dojo: Tama/Kettering, OH
United_States

There's also "BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING" by Masayoshi Nemoto. It's rated PG...It has coverage on most of the Japanese Martial Arts.

Filmed entirely in Japan, BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING is a highly acclaimed docu-drama and a favorite of martial arts practitioners and fans alike. Highlighting the various techniques of "Budo" (Karate, Judo, Aikido, etc.), this action-packed film is a visual feast exploring the spiritual and historical traditions, training and techniques of this specialized form of martial arts. Synapse is proud to present this critically acclaimed film in a newly re-mastered version transferred from original vault materials. A must-see even for fans of Japanese history, BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING is "powerful and frequently amazing… stuns the beholder." (VARIETY)

I have it at home... and it's not too bad. Maybe a little much for 5-7 year olds, but older may be alright.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
early rub up
Dojo: tai shin do ryu
England

texas chainsaw Massacre a classic
Old 01-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Warriors of Virtue is more for elementary school kids. It's kung fu kangaroos, ya know.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Neil Mick

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
Warriors of Virtue is more for elementary school kids. It's kung fu kangaroos, ya know.
I know, but the martial arts, as well as the message (that no one is truly "bad:" just unbalanced), is right on target for an Aikido primer.

But there are almost no good Aikido films for kids, out there. *sigh*
Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
GM123456
France

Not shure if adapted to kids but:
- Sugata Sanshiro (aka Judo Saga) by A. Kurosawa
- Tai Chi Master by Yuen Woo Ping with Jet Li
are two films I liked the philosophical content and/or historical point of view
Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

What about the old Karate Kid movies? Not much in terms of actual techniques, but if you're throwing in "Kung-Fu Kangaroos" just for the message, I think even though the movies are a bit "corny" the message within them is still good. Right there you have 4 movies, that kids can watch, understand and maybe relate to that don't contain any special effects enhanced martial arts.

Depending on the age of the kids, A. Kurosawa films might be a bit much, still the dueling spear scene in the "Hidden Fortress" is worth seeing, beautifully choreographed.

"Aiki" is good, more of an adult version of the Karate Kid movies, and does have actual Aiki related moves in it. They even mention O'Sensei in a discussion.

The new King Kong movie features a scene with Kong fighting several dinosaurs, and that choreography was very reminiscent of Aikido...if you can get through the first hour of the film without falling asleep...
Old 01-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Neil Mick

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
What about the old Karate Kid movies?
Yeah, for me, they're the primo film, for MA for kids.

Quote:
but if you're throwing in "Kung-Fu Kangaroos" just for the message,
Nah, it's not about the kangeroo's. You should look it up sometime. The eeevel villian doesn't die...he just loses his evil'ness.

Very different from most other MA films, where the bad guy always dies.

Quote:
"Aiki" is good, more of an adult version of the Karate Kid movies, and does have actual Aiki related moves in it. They even mention O'Sensei in a discussion.
Hmm...havent' seen it...I'll look it up.

Quote:
The new King Kong movie features a scene with Kong fighting several dinosaurs, and that choreography was very reminiscent of Aikido...
hmm, Dino-randori.....hehehehehehe
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #14
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Michael Wills wrote:
There's also "BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING" by Masayoshi Nemoto. It's rated PG...It has coverage on most of the Japanese Martial Arts.

Filmed entirely in Japan, BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING is a highly acclaimed docu-drama and a favorite of martial arts practitioners and fans alike. Highlighting the various techniques of "Budo" (Karate, Judo, Aikido, etc.), this action-packed film is a visual feast exploring the spiritual and historical traditions, training and techniques of this specialized form of martial arts. Synapse is proud to present this critically acclaimed film in a newly re-mastered version transferred from original vault materials. A must-see even for fans of Japanese history, BUDO:THE ART OF KILLING is "powerful and frequently amazing$B!&(Bstuns the beholder." (VARIETY)

I have it at home... and it's not too bad. Maybe a little much for 5-7 year olds, but older may be alright.
Found a review of this on the web by Chuck Gordon, interesting reading, but still wouldn't mind seeing it.

Don't buy from budovideos.com ($42) it's available on other web sites for $14 .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I'll second the recommendation of Aiki. Another great martial arts film (that I actually saw for the first time with Brett) is "Best of the Best", which is about tkd instead of Aikido, but has a really awesome message from which anyone, kids and adults, can benefit.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

"tommy - No!!!"

If I was 14, I'd wanna see Tony Jaa's movies.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Smile Re: Great Aikido/MA Kid films

I think you can get file footage of Osensei from aikijournal or asian world of MA very good much better than kangaroodo

Edwin Neal

Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #18
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

I think you can get file footage of Osensei from aikijournal or maybe asian world of martial arts i used to have it but loaned it and it got lost ... this is probably better than kangaroodo!

Edwin Neal

Old 01-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #19
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

you definitely need to start off with "Rocky III"