Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Alexkms
United_States
Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?

I am considering taking Aikido, but I am unsure as to whether it would actually help me if someone where to attack me. Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?

Dodged a snowball once with IRIMI.

Rolled out a fall when flung from my bike once.

Don't get into fights, though. Doesn't that count?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Alex Mitchell-Schwartz wrote: View Post
I am considering taking Aikido, but I am unsure as to whether it would actually help me if someone where to attack me. Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?
It could help you not get in a fight...

And if there is a scuffle, it will give you other options besides popping someone in the face.
(Speaking from experience... although the real solution goes back to the above - rooting out what caused the scuffle to begin with, and thus not having a confrontation.)

If you want to go UFC, then that is another topic altogether.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Yup. These days though it helps me avoid fights.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Alexkms
United_States

Avoiding confrontations isn't much of an option, unfortunately. I'm just wondering if someone where to try and punch me would Aikido actually work in avoiding the punch and then making a escape. One of my friends used to take Aikido and said that he doesn't think it would help any in a everyday fight but then again he's pretty aggressive where as I just don't want to be beaten up.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Millerwc
Dojo: SC Seidokan Aikido
United_States

Well, simply the fact that your friend uses the term "everyday fights" should be clue number one. From my training over the past 5 and a half years, I would say Aikdio is not something to bring into a ring- the principles would certainly help, but the attitude is completely different.

Aikido is a practical self defense, that being said, in my own judgement, it is probably harder to learn that other things that are just as practical from a "street" perspective. Don't expect to learn aikido over night. It does take some dedication.

The bottom line though, is simply that you'll have to try it and see if it is for you. Additionally, every teacher is a little different, so it's more important to find something you enjoy doing.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

Go drive down I-40 one exit (west) and watch Steve Kauffman at Open Sky Aikikai (Hillsborough). He has a pretty practical style. You will have to get off the exit. and drive until you cross under I-85 (Hillsborough). Its just past the underpass behind the Wendy's. I've taken aikido for 14 years and have seen Kaufman senesi's aikido numerous times. I think that observing several dojo would help answer your questions. Chris Crandall over in Raliegh has a very strong style also but I'm pretty sure Kaufman is closer to you.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Avoiding confrontations isn't much of an option, unfortunately. I'm just wondering if someone where to try and punch me would Aikido actually work in avoiding the punch and then making a escape. One of my friends used to take Aikido and said that he doesn't think it would help any in a everyday fight but then again he's pretty aggressive where as I just don't want to be beaten up.
Actually, as you get older, and time passes by, you may begin to understand past the words to where they are pointing and that indeed...much of what confrontations you have, could have been avoided.

Why does someone want to punch you? etc.

Again, my story was pretty clear example of what I mean.

Two people, defending their position of what is 'right', and they get in a scuffle after one attacks the other.

I was the one attacked by some joint manipulation tactic and thrown to the floor... in-between there I tried to hold him in a headlock until he calmed down so he would not attack me further. (could have gone wild on his face.)

But being exhausted I was thrown, and he came at me, and I simply kicked him in the face, and then bounced up and popped him in the nose...at which point, reality sunk in, and he calmed down.

Had I known Aikido, I would have been able to not exert as much energy in the headlock when trying to keep him off me...as it was not my intent to beat him and cause blood to gush out his nose.

Sankyo, and other movements come to mind now.

But, as I 'grow', I now realize that there is no need to always try to prove a point, nor can you do so when the other person is turning red from rage because 'they are right'.

So, for me, at least, in looking back, the fight could have stopped by simply allowing the other person to be, as it were - or rather not feel the need to verbally respond to someones egoic story.

Now, this may be different then what your thinking, but interestingly enough, the very root of why these things start, typically go back to the inner state of both people.

Accidents are more likely, as Eckhart Tolle puts it, when both peoples pain bodies are activated.

I know, this doesnt sound exciting, etc. Beating someone without fighting doesnt feed the egos sense of self at all. - at one stage in life, its about who is the tough guy...but all things have a time and a place, and the journey can only be walked by you.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.

Aikido is what you make it - you can have heavy atemi, (punching), or make it totally spiritual.
Its a shell that you fill with what you want...the basic structure is there to make of it what you will, like a bunch of legos. I know many dont realize this, as other arts are more direct...its just 'beat' someone.

But Aikido, in a way, more represents life, and the choices you have.
As my instructor and senior students would say...'possibilities'.

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-10-2009 at 01:27 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I think aikido does a great job in teaching you how to disengage from an attack. One thing that I'm really liking about my aikido training is how it has sharpened my awareness of the (for lack of a better term) moments of opportunity that happen in the course of an attack: here's the point where you have the option to take the opponent's balance, here's the point where you have the opportunity to counterattack, here's when you can disengage, etc. I got this before from studying jodo, which is all about such moments, but aikido was the first style where I really felt that emphasis in empty-hand training. All that is probably babble to you, though. The short answer is yes, but it's not a skill you pick up overnight.

A lot depends, too, on why avoiding confrontations isn't much of an option. If you work in law enforcement or corrections, that's definitely true, but for most other situations, I wonder about the use of the phrase "everyday fight". What's the situation that causes people to take a swing at you on an everyday basis?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Jeez. The bait is taken. We have another "Does it work?" thread.

There's dozens of these already. Thousands of posts. Millions of words. Why don't you just use the search function?

We need some online Tums to prevent this gas.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Oh hell yes, I have learned to smile at my wife when she is on a rant and not listed to a word she says. She can't draw me into a fight. I am good!!! After 42 years she don't even try now but it took me about that long to master that part of Aikido. :-)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

My wife uses a different tactic on me. Instead of trying to out-shout me, she uses her poor-lost-cute-puppy look. It never fails.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Dennis, I haven't mastered that yet. I fall for it everytime!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Hello Alex,

A lot of the replies you got don't seem to answer your question. Maybe people are too humble to tell you about the times they disembowelled attackers with their own knives? I would definitely agree with posts saying that aikido might help you avoid fights in the first place, but you seem to be asking specifically about scenarios where there is no option.

I'm afraid I am also keeping schtum about my shady antics, for if I told you what I've done… why I'd have to kill you. No seriously, I realise you would probably like details of actual confrontations but it might be better if you just go and try Aikido for yourself. After all, you can't believe everything you read. The proof is in the pummelling! My advice is to find a dojo that seems to offer what you are looking for and take it from there.

Best regards

Carl
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #15
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Dennis, I haven't mastered that yet. I fall for it everytime!
Well Kevin I left out the part about taking out my hearing aid. Don't worry you will get there.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Yep! *Not going into the whole "what is a real fight" thingy!*

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
Just curious but why is avoiding confrontations not much of an option? Are you a bouncer, cop, something similar, or just someone who wants to fight?

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
Guilty Spark

United_States

If you want to avoid being punched then why not just move out of the way?

An even better teacher to avoid getting punched in the noodle than Aikido is common sense.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States

Quote:
Aikido is very effective. But, at the same time i say this, i do know that there are very many "dojo's" out there that teach sub-par Aikido, or Aikido not geared towards combat.
So, yes Aikido works fantastically for self-defense, but you must find the right place to study.
AND STICK WITH IT.
Aikido is a very long and difficult journey. If you dont have the heart to learn more than "punch, kick, take-down, choke" (as in some other MA i could mention.... cough... MMA.... cough) then dont bother, you must be willing to put the time into Aikido for it to work for you.

-morgan

"When you bow deeply to the universe, it bows back; when you call out the name of God, it echoes inside you." - O' sensei
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Once I used tenkan successfully when I "fought" with a German Shepperd called Lil' Kim over her dirty blanket.

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Disillusioned
Japan

Don't expect to defend yourself.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Jerry, why do you say that?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #23
MikeLogan

United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Jerry, why do you say that?
Most likely because he joined today with the sole intent of saying so. Hailing from japan, no less, so he must have loads of credibility on the subject, too

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #24
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Maybe...just asking him to clarify or qualify his statement.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #25
Guilty Spark

United_States

Maybe it's all aikido spiritually

Don't expect to defend yourself. Know that you WILL be defended and bend reality around that.

Kinda like bending a spoon in matrix.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend