Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Torrid
United_States
Techniques of teaching

I am in the military and stationed in what seems to be a black hole of culture. In the city near where I am stationed there is nothing for aikido and even less for alot of other forms. I have trained in aikido for 6 years but have taken a 2 year break (due to military matters). I have always assisted with teaching new people the basics but unfortunatly have very little experiance teaching groups from a teacher point of view.

Due to the lack of aikido dojo's or instructors I have started an aikido club here on base and am getting approval to practise there , but this also means I will be doing most of the instruction. If anyone has helpful hints or good examples of how to help instill the basics of aikido it would be greatly welcomed.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Techniques of teaching

Good luck on your venture. Teaching is fun and terrifying all at the same time

As far as advice I'm going to refrain from technical matters and say simply, be honest. Share what you know and don't pretend to know what you don't.

Best,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States

One way that I try to get the basics across is to equate the movements to every day activities. My students "scoop sand", "open doors", " pick apples", and "cast fishing poles" in their practice. It's much easier to remember and explain when they can equate the moves to things that they have already done.

Mike Taylor
Godan
Chief Instructor, Rising Star Aikido
South Bend, Nebraska, USA
www.risingstaraikido.com
Old 09-22-2004, 03:16 AM   #4
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
Talking Re: Techniques of teaching

maybe...

1.teach fewer techniques for new classes, preferably two or three.
2.make more time for them to repeat those techniques hundreds of times
3.let them find out their mistakes through repetition, encourage them to ask
4.and yes.. teach only what you know

that's my take on teaching a new class, hope it helps

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 09-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #5
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

As an add-on to Mike's use easier descriptions, my favourite has always been q basic nikyo - "smother hand, raise pint glass to lips, turn back to bar, put glass back down on bar", seems to stop all the 'which way does my hand go' problems amongst the alcoholically inclined.

Your biggest problem is going to be having a decent uke, try and find someone with previous splatting experience as soon as possible. There's also a Peter H. lurking somewhere on one of the boards who teaches at a military base, you may want to track him down and PM him for tips.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
Torrid
United_States

Thanks all for the advice ... to be honest I was expecting to get flamed by folks saying I shouldn't try to teach. The tips that where provided are good and sound and I will try to use them to help my students... 1 problem I am already having is with their feet. I did judo for 15 years and many other martial arts as well so for me my feet have just ... always moved like they should for aikido but trying to teach people that learned boxing or have NO experiance of any type want to do all these crazy things with their feet... any advice on that?

Thanks so much for the help
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Beginners will tend to watch your hands and ignore your feet.
After you show the technique twice, show it again just showing footwork. Then give them the footwork verbally.
i.e. slide - turn - step, or step - turn - slide

Give them footwork drills to get them more comfortable with the various kinds of footwork you use.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Torrid
United_States

Thats where I find the pitfalls of teaching aikido. They watch your feet but then when they try to imitate your feet they get soo much into the frame of mind .. i must stand like a martial artist... when I have noticed people stand different but in the same general position with their feet (the L stance). what type of drills whould you suggest for helping them with their movements?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Does your style (for lack of a better word) have any type of aikido specific warm ups? Ours has a series of movements and exercises that are done at the beginning of every class. They are to help us learn basic footwork, posture, tai sabaki and whatnot. If you don't have them you may have to dissect some techniques and make some.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Ian: The Peter H you are referring to is in San Angelo TX out of Dojin Aikikai (a non-hombu group split off from Suenaka who split off Ki Society). He does teach a class at the local military base-he's a shodan. I'm not sure if it makes any difference where the class is if you are a good teacher. I recommend focusing on the basics. Your individual teaching style will evolve as you find out what works for you. Some teach from the old school of thought and what I call "monkey see, monkey do". They demonstrate with little explanation and then come around and correct you as you train. Others tend to be more detailed in helping you understand the basics in more depth and why you do what you do and give a lot more feedback while training as well as more explanation. I tend to be of the latter school-different strokes for different folks. Mine works for me.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
Peter H.
United_States

It really depends on where you teach. If you are in Whichita Falls, TX, then it's Sheppard, right?

The base I taught at was also AETC, which means a high and frequent rotation of students, most not practicing for more than four or five months tops.

It was very infrequent that we went beyond the basics and even less frequently that anyone was ranked.

From a teaching stand point, it was a great experience, as I learned what it takes to move a complete beginner along, and then got the chance to practice it over and over again.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Troy,
Aikido Institute of Texas is in Denton. It's a couple of hours, but it might be a place to go when you feel your own training is in a rut. Dave DeLong is very, very down to earth.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #13
Torrid
United_States

Denton i think is a little closer than that .. otherwise dallas is 2 hours as well ... thanks for the location though if it turns out to be pretty close it might be good to go watch another instructor teach to assist with my own teaching style.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #14
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

The 2 hours was from Mapquest...

http://www.aikidoinstitutetexas.org/ check them out. Dave DeLong is a great guy.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings